What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. "Brown magic" for healing and kicking tail?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashengrave (new)

Ashengrave | 1 comments I was only ever told about this book and have looked and asked about it for years. Basically there are different schools of magic and the "lowes"t is the brown mages. At some point a brown Mage (maybe the main character maybe not) is in a situation where a group/horde are charging him and his companions, the are basically going to die at this point and some mental block that is part of his training breaks unleashing the brown magics true potential. At his point he basically kills the entire group attacking them before restoring the mental block because he was "too powerful/dangerous to be trusted" with that kind of power really that is the total of what I know about this series and I want to read it so bad that it hurts any way thanks for the help

message 2: by Brittany (last edited Oct 30, 2011 06:17PM) (new)

Brittany (weareattached) | 220 comments Could this be the Night Angels trilogy by Brent Weeks? The Way of Shadows < ----this is the first one

message 3: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6980 comments Mod
um, from the description of that book, it seems to be about an assassin not a mage. Or is that description misleading?

message 4: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (weareattached) | 220 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "um, from the description of that book, it seems to be about an assassin not a mage. Or is that description misleading?"

They are assassins that can use magic. There are Mages to represent all the colors.

message 5: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ahhh so the description isn't real accurate--but then again, when IS it?

message 6: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (weareattached) | 220 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Ahhh so the description isn't real accurate--but then again, when IS it?"

Exactly ;) They are often pretty vague and off-topic those dastardly summaries!

message 7: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (00krystal) | 132 comments I've read the Night Angels books, and I'm pretty positive that's not what you're looking for. Though it has been a while since reading them, I certainly don't remember anything similar at all to these "brown mages" you're talking about.

I'm afraid I'm not sure what book you are looking for, but I'm pretty certain it's not the Night Angels trilogy.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 289 comments I did a Google Books search for brown mage and came up with Khai of Khem. Searched for brown magic and came up with Key to Chroma, which is the second book in a series. The first one is Key to Havoc.

message 9: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ok Snail, I KNOW that the series the OP is looking for definately is NOT the ChroMagic series. I've read that one and it doesn't come anywhere close. The first one I don't know about.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 289 comments Okay Anne, thanks for sharing your knowledge with us.

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37567 comments Mod
Ashengrave, are you still looking for this book?

message 12: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37567 comments Mod
No response in 5 years. Moving to Abandoned.