NaNoWriMo 2012 discussion

NaNoWriMo 2011 > NaNoWriMo tips, support, encouragement

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

No, no one sees the words, unless you publish them. But there is something about being able to say that you finished a novel in a month. It makes you proud of yourself, and increases your writing ability -- or so I think, anyway.

message 2: by Gwendolyn (new)

Gwendolyn (drgwen) | 6 comments For those of you on the fence and undecided, there are as many reasons NOT to do NaNoWriMo there are good reasons TO do NaNoWriMo.

We hope to see all of you there.

message 3: by Karl (new)

Karl Robert (louderback) | 2 comments Every year I wind up up with 50-60k words that go nowhere in particular. I just start typing and a story sometimes develops.

How about some plotting tips!

message 4: by Mari (new)

Mari Mann (marimann) | 4 comments Virginia wrote: "I entered NaNoWriMo last year and won a little picture of a badge which I proudly displayed on facebook. But now the truth must come out. I cheated. I sent in a book I had written years before. ..."

Every person who participates in NaNoWriMo brings their own purpose with them. Mine was to see if I had what it took to become a writer, someone who sits down every day and writes, whether I felt like it or not, if I would love that or hate it, and if I came out in the end with something I could be proud of. The 50,000 words in a month challenge works for me because I like the discipline and challenge involved in achieving that goal. If you cheat, you only cheat yourself. No one at Nanowrimo reading your words is not the point- you sitting down and writing them is the point and the purpose. The Nanowrimo site and the people there only exist to count the words and pat you on the back. The rest is up to you.

message 5: by Ruth Madison (new)

Ruth Madison (Dev Love Press) (ruthmadison) | 6 comments Karl wrote: "Every year I wind up up with 50-60k words that go nowhere in particular. I just start typing and a story sometimes develops.

How about some plotting tips!"

I'm crazy about outlining and planning. I am totally unable to just start writing and see where it takes me (tried it one year, got seven pages and then was so stuck that it pained me every day for months).

I use the Snowflake Method to get my outline started.

message 6: by Ruth Madison (new)

Ruth Madison (Dev Love Press) (ruthmadison) | 6 comments John wrote: "Hi, NaNoers! I'd just like to inform you that for my blog, I am hosting some guest NaNoers to post on NaNo tips/tricks, encouragement, advice, support, etc. and I will also be posting on these subj..."

Cool! I will also be blogging through my NaNo experience, but mine will be very focused on my own book, not so much tips for other people. I don't know if my methods work for anyone but me! lol