The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) The Hunger Games discussion

Similar to Ancient Rome?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Gabrielle I found a lot of similarities to Ancient Rome in this book.The idea of arenas and fights to the death for entertainment,the Roman names(like Octavia),ect.Anyone else find this?

Wayne Baxter Well since competitors were playing with real swords, chances of someone actually dying was extremely high, but towards the boom period of gladiatorial games was not to kill each other.

The goal was to neutralize your opponent. Gladiators cost a lot of money to train, so the owners preferred to keep them alive as much as possible.

Emily Donnellan I felt like the excess of the capitol was another parallel. The Ancient Roman capitol was all about extravagance and they made the outer suburbs do their growing and general work for them. Very much like how the districts were all seperated and supported the capitol.

Wayne Baxter Emily wrote: "I felt like the excess of the capitol was another parallel. The Ancient Roman capitol was all about extravagance and they made the outer suburbs do their growing and general work for them. Very muc..."

Actually Roman patricians tended to do their monkey business outside of Rome. Maybe during imperial Rome, marked by Emperors calling the shot while the senate grieved at him, the emperors broke taboos. But everyone else did their monkey business away from prying eyes.

Barrette I saw a discussion video with the author and she said she didn't mean it to be like that, but when she was writing it she did realize that it was like Rome so she changed her swing of the novel to fit more into that topic.

Kirby yeah, it wasn't really too subtle...there was even that line about the ancient roman saying of "bread and circuses" or something like that, right?