LBSC 645 discussion

Suggestions needed

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nan (new)

Nan | 5 comments I'm looking for recommended books for reluctant readers that are in 4-5th grade. I need books that don't look too young or too easy, as image is important to these kids. Funny is good, but we've already got Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Captain Underpants and most of the graphic novels we've discussed in class. Any suggestions?

message 2: by Edie (new)

Edie | 11 comments How about Brian Selznick's Hugo Cabret or the new one Wonderstruck. They are BIG books, but lots of illustratiions, both are mysteries of a sort. They look very impressive when you carry them around. Also, some of the DK books on topics of interest, like sports?
Have you done the Sciezka/Lane series with books like The KNights of the Kitchen Table, they are very quick and good fun. Sciezka's autobiography Knucklehead's is another good one (primariy for boys) as is his collection from various writers, Guys Read (it is a series of short stories which work well because the reader gets a sense of accomplishment by finishing one story and doesn't have to go back and reread if he/she walks away from the book for a while).

message 3: by Nan (new)

Nan | 5 comments Thanks, Edie. We just received Wonderstruck, so I'll need to process it quickly for checkout. Forgot about the Time Warp Trio - they are funny.

message 4: by Edie (new)

Edie | 11 comments how about Carl hiassen books, especially Hoot....

message 5: by Nan (new)

Nan | 5 comments Good - never read any of his books!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

If you still need a recommendation, how about any Gordon Korman series? There's Island, Kidnapped, Dive. They are short, action-packed books.

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 16 comments Mod
Have you tried Bone (Jeff Smith) or Amulet (Kazu Kibuishi)? Also, the star wars novelizations are very popular among the 3-5 grade boys I know. Not high literature, but reading. Since they come in a range of levels, kids can participate in the discussion.