Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Are Academic Journals or reports books?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marina (new)

Marina | 3 comments I was wondering if academic journals such as Journal of Peace Research or Journal of Conflict Resolution can be included in Goodreads as books.

message 2: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 874 comments There are many many Medical and Scientific Journals and articles on GR. So there is an argument for precedence.

And of course, comic books are books as well. Hard to see how those you mentioned would not qualify.

message 3: by Marina (new)

Marina | 3 comments I'm reading the articles from jstor, so I don't know how to add them in Goodreads.
For example:
http://stathis.research.yale.edu/docu...
Is this considered a book?

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Cotterill (rachelcotterill) Hi Marina
Most journals have an ISSN instead of an ISBN (for serial publications instead of 'books'). For example if you look at the website of the journal you just linked to, you'll find it gives these ISSNs:

* Print ISSN: 0010-4140
* Online ISSN: 1552-3829
(from http://cps.sagepub.com/)

I don't know if you can enter the ISSN into Goodreads. Certainly I would think that the journal would be more appropriate than the paper itself, but I'm not a librarian, just a student!

Rachel

message 5: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl I don't think one article from Jstor would be a book, unless (according to GR established policy) it is available in e-book form with an ISBN or ASIN.

message 6: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments I agree Lobstergirl, one article is not a book

In addition, the unofficial policy is not to encourage the entry of magazines and journals but not to delete them either if some one has gone to the effort to add them.

There are a number of threads about this if people want to do a search

If they are added - please do not add anything to the ISBN or ISBN13 fields other than ISBN's

message 7: by Jorge (new)

Jorge (jornacio) | 1 comments So, what's the resolution about this?