Creative Reviews discussion

Tips and Tricks > In the aftermath of publication...

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Annetta (new)

Annetta Ribken (msnetta) | 34 comments I haven't had much time to participate here, but now that "Athena's Promise" has been launched, I'm hoping to find more time in between my editing job and writing the next book in the series. But that's not really why I'm posting.

I'm exhausted right now. But my head is just filled to bursting with the experience of my second publication, and I have to let some of it out before my head cracks wide open.

I've read through a lot of the threads and I can see some people becoming frustrated and discouraged about slow sales and finding readers. I've been in the writing business for almost a decade, and if I may, I'd like to say a few things.

1. For every indie out there trying to make it -- I LOVE YOU. You are a testament to persistence, perseverance, and drive. I know it's difficult, I know sometimes it's really lonely and there are days where you wonder why you even bother. And yet, you still go on. Do you have any idea how amazing that is?

2. Please remember this is a marathon, not a sprint! You do have to market, you do have to promote, but the best way I know of to attract more readers is to WRITE THE NEXT BOOK.

3. As indies, we have even more pressure than those with legacy contracts to produce quality work. This means editing, this means proper formatting, this means great covers. Every time an indie publication is rushed to market, the glaring errors reflect on the whole community. YOU set your publication schedule -- if your book isn't ready, then work on it and don't release it until it is, out of respect for yourself, your readers, and the indie community. Please.

4. For the readers: I LOVE YOU. I've been reading since the age of three; I learned while I was hospitalized. Readers are the lifeblood of writers -- you are the reason we do this and we couldn't do it without you. So thank you, thank you, thank you.

That is all. I just had to get these things off my chest. Thanks for letting me vent some of it out, and thanks for this supportive community.

message 2: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 474 comments Haha thanks Annette!

message 3: by Barbara (last edited Oct 30, 2011 07:52AM) (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) Annetta says:
2. Please remember this is a marathon, not a sprint! You do have to market, you do have to promote, but the best way I know of to attract more readers is to WRITE THE NEXT BOOK.

Totally and utterly true! If you have many titles out, and they're f... awesome, your readers will find you even if you don't promote at all! ;-)
Help with thinking like a publisher: Dean Wesley Smith's post will push you through:
http://www.deanwesleysmith.com/?page_...
Consider it a career plan AND a business: you'll need AT LEAST TWO YEARS to get started. Don't give up after six months...
And this is from a writer who is also an editor and knows the pros and cons of trad and indie... check it out: http://kriswrites.com/2011/10/19/the-...
Happy writing and publishing and reading everyone! :-)

message 4: by Annetta (new)

Annetta Ribken (msnetta) | 34 comments That's exactly right, Barbara -- I've been following Dean and his wife, Kris, for years. They really have their finger on the pulse and their advice is inspirational and should be required reading for all indies.

:) Onward!

message 5: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) Annetta wrote: "That's exactly right, Barbara -- I've been following Dean and his wife, Kris, for years. They really have their finger on the pulse and their advice is inspirational and should be required reading ..."

I've just come back from one of their workshops... bliss! :-D And they're both so great in person! ;-)

message 6: by Annetta (new)

Annetta Ribken (msnetta) | 34 comments Barbara wrote: "Annetta wrote: "That's exactly right, Barbara -- I've been following Dean and his wife, Kris, for years. They really have their finger on the pulse and their advice is inspirational and should be r..."

Lucky you! I bet it was fabulous and you're all revved up. Get ready to rumble ;)

message 7: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) Annetta wrote: "I bet it was fabulous and you're all revved up. Get ready to rumble ;)"

yep... I only have to figure out how things actually work in my home country (Italy)... but I'm ready to rumble! :-D

message 8: by Jenn (new)

Jenn  (Greeneyez2012) Fab post! Thanks for sharing!!!

message 9: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments Great post! Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! Its always nice to hear from people who have been where you are.

message 10: by Annetta (new)

Annetta Ribken (msnetta) | 34 comments Jenn aka Texas Long Hair wrote: "Fab post! Thanks for sharing!!!"

You're welcome :) Thanks for reading.

message 11: by Annetta (new)

Annetta Ribken (msnetta) | 34 comments Cambria wrote: "Great post! Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! Its always nice to hear from people who have been where you are."

I figure we're all in this together. There have been a lot of people who have helped me and I'm a firm believer in paying it forward. :)

message 12: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 474 comments You're so sweet :)

message 13: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 726 comments That actually helps and assures me to know im not the only one who feels that way. I am always down on myself bout slow sales lately, ive seen a spike in interest but am still hoping for that big break..this lets me know that it can happen!

message 14: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments Annetta wrote: "Cambria wrote: "Great post! Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! Its always nice to hear from people who have been where you are."

I figure we're all in this together. There have..."

I totally agree!

message 15: by Cambria (last edited Nov 01, 2011 12:56PM) (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments Justin wrote: "That actually helps and assures me to know im not the only one who feels that way. I am always down on myself bout slow sales lately, ive seen a spike in interest but am still hoping for that big b..."

slow and steady wins the race. Keep trying! ;)

message 16: by Annetta (new)

Annetta Ribken (msnetta) | 34 comments Justin wrote: "That actually helps and assures me to know im not the only one who feels that way. I am always down on myself bout slow sales lately, ive seen a spike in interest but am still hoping for that big b..."

You are certainly not alone :) One of my favorite quotes is from Robert Bach: "A professional writer is an amateur who didn't quit." Many people don't realize the harder you work, the "luckier" you'll be. None of it is easy, but if it's your passion, it's worth it.

message 17: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments well said Annetta!

message 18: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) Cambria wrote: "well said Annetta!"

+1! :-)
(I have a bookmark with that sentence pinned to my wall... I check it every time self-doubt kicks in! ;-p)