Into the Forest discussion

General > Contemporary Fables

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Lee | 2 comments As a child, I loved the more off-the-beaten-path fables and stories, like The Water Babies, and fairy tales with a lesson.
Perhaps that sounds a little odd: a child liking lessons in his stories, but those lessons imparted a reality to the fairy tales that allowed for my imagination to carry me away.
As an adult, I long ago came out of the fairy tale closet: I still love those tales, with one of my favorite movies being The Neverending Story.
I began writing my Gypsy Lee's Fables, Fairy Tales and Yarns for friends, who requested tributes to friends, love stories for close friends, and life lessons in stories for their children.
You are never too old to enjoy a great fairy tale or fable. I'm looking forward to discovering like-minded souls in this group, and unearthing modern-day stories that I can use to read myself to sleep at night.
Any recommendations?
Robert (Bob) Lee www.robertflee.com

message 2: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) | 1385 comments Mod
A modern fairy tale? Have you tried The Gates?

message 3: by Mir (new)

Mir | 70 comments Interesting you picked The Gates, Chris -- I was about to suggest The Book of Lost Things by the same author. I didn't think of The Gates as being like a fairy tale when I read, it there a specific element that struck you that way?

Also, I just read Breadcrumbs, that's pretty good.

message 4: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) | 1385 comments Mod
The Gates strikes me as a modern one - the realization of the boy at the end, the fantastic creatures, the dog helper.

message 5: by Mir (new)

Mir | 70 comments I read Good Omens (which is about the end of the world with devils and angels) first and The Gates is so much like it that that didn't occur to me.

message 6: by Robert (last edited Oct 31, 2011 07:02AM) (new)

Robert Lee | 2 comments Miriam wrote: "Interesting you picked The Gates, Chris -- I was about to suggest The Book of Lost Things by the same author. I didn't think of The Gates as being like a fairy tale when I read, it the..."

Yes, I thought The Gates was more of a fantasy, but, in either event, the world of make-believe offers a wonderful escape from the everyday world!

Glinda the Gallifreyan I also love The Never-Ending Story! High-five! =]

message 9: by Michele (new)

Michele | 520 comments Miriam wrote: "The recent The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making is really good, too."

I'll second that. I found the first chapter online and was so excited when the book came out in physical form.

message 10: by Clinton (last edited Dec 09, 2011 09:13PM) (new)

Clinton Festa New fables are added about once a week right here, free:
http://ancientcanada.com/Ancient_Cana...

Ancient Canada is a full-length novel. It's mythology for an alternate Canada written for a modern audience. This link is to the fables of Ancient Canada.

Forgive me if this was the wrong place to post this. Just aren't enough discussion boards about fables.