Book Haven discussion

Caged in Darkness (Caged, #1)
This topic is about Caged in Darkness
Group Read > Caged in Darkness (Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

J.D. Stroube | 2393 comments Mod
This is the thread for AFTER reading the book. Spoilers are allowed!

Caged in Darkness (Caged #1) by J.D. Stroube won in a group poll to be read during November! :)

I am going to personally be here for those of you who want to discuss my book. Please don't feel weird about it. I am really anxious to here was everyone thinks!

If you have any questions... feel free to ask!

Questions:
Who do you want Savannah to end up with?
Favorite Character?
Did you like the ending?
What do you think/hope will happen in the rest of the series?
Do you like that it's a trilogy or do you think it should be a longer series?
If you were going to write an alternate ending, what would you have had happen?

Ruth (ruthie1) Figured I should post in here if I talk about the ending...The ending surprised me!! Didn't expect that the demon made them so attractive to her.....and she ended up so so about either of them....I don't mind either of the boys but really really don't like Liam's mother...love Maye...and hope to see more of her...Glad there will be at least two more...Longer would be good too!

Ruth wrote: "Figured I should post in here if I talk about the ending...The ending surprised me!! Didn't expect that the demon made them so attractive to her.....and she ended up so so about either of them......."

lol Yep, I tried to make the ending unexpected. I didn't want it to be just like every other young adult book out there. The second book is definitely longer than the first and the third book is really long. :)
I hate Liam's mother too. I made Maye into my version of the ideal Aunt/Grandmother type. :) She'll be in the rest of the books too.
Willow will also have a bigger role in book 2. :)

Ruth (ruthie1) Sounds good. Looking forward to the next two. :)

For those of you who read Caged in Darkness, I would love to hear some feedback on what you hope will happen in the rest or the series??? Also, what do you expect?

Tana (tana_t) I will write an honest review and get back to you once I read Caged in Darkness it sounds great, I have no idea why this wasn't on my to be read list. So thanks again for your generousity and sharing this with the group.

Tana wrote: "I will write an honest review and get back to you once I read Caged in Darkness it sounds great, I have no idea why this wasn't on my to be read list. So thanks again for your generousity and sha..."

You're welcome! :)

message 8: by Diane (new) - added it

Diane (dyniy) | 83 comments I loved the book!!! From the very first it pulled me in, I had to make myself put it down. I liked the alternating POV. It's one of several things that made this book different from most of what's out there right now. I'm not quite sure who my favorite character is yet. Liam is starting to be more likable & Maye has suddenly become more than just the "Auntie Em" type. To be able to know all of what's been going on & trust those kids basiclly with her life takes an awfully strong person. Instead of her blending in with the walls she's starting to stand out. I'm beginning to like her character alot more. Having Savannah's spirit entwined with a panther's spirit & then shapeshifting into it also makes this book different from the norm out there. The demon making her love him through Ash & Liam made a totally unexpected ending. I don't think that I could have come up with a better one. I have to say that I trully enjoyed this book. It's full of fresh ideas with witches, ghosts, demons & lots more. I hope that the series goes on for several more books. Thanks for a great read JD.

Diane wrote: "I loved the book!!! From the very first it pulled me in, I had to make myself put it down. I liked the alternating POV. It's one of several things that made this book different from most of what's ..."

Two more books are planned, but I may need to split the third book into two. It has a LOT that happens in it, which might be overwhelming for it to happen in one. At the most, it will be a quartet. However, I do have a series that builds off of this one with some of the same characters.
Death's Leash is the first book in the series that builds off of this one.
I am so glad that you enjoyed it! :)

Bridget Bowers (bridgetbowers) | 165 comments I just have to say, WOW! The end shocked me. My first reaction was..."What was she thinking? How could it end like that?" Then I took a deep breath and got control of myself.

I was hooked on the book from the beginning and enjoyed the foreshadowing of the opening scene. The character development in the beginning was great. I felt things got a little rushed in the middle, but not enough to detract from the overall story.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the ending. As a reader, I loved the shock value. I totally didn't see it coming at all. It made me a little sad that all her passion for Ash and Liam wasn't really for them. I'm holding out hope that something might still come out of it.

I loved the concept of Izzy as a ghost. Sorry she had to die for that to happen. I'm curious to see how she will continue in the series.

I'm definitely torn between Liam and Ash as my favorite characters. Ash's strength and protectiveness was sweet. I'm a sucker though for the bad boy image of Liam. I think his mother's domineering attitude takes a little of his wickedness away. Another element I'm curious to find out about in the rest of the series.

Thanks for a fun read!

message 11: by J.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bridget wrote: "I just have to say, WOW! The end shocked me. My first reaction was..."What was she thinking? How could it end like that?" Then I took a deep breath and got control of myself.

I was hooked on the b..."

lol I really wanted the book to end with a shocking twist. :) There will be 2-3 more books in the series and I promise that I won't end every book that way. lol I'm trying to get book 2 out by Dec 14th. Book 3 I have set to come out in April, but if I decide to split it into two, I may have book 3 come out in February and Book 4 out in April. :)

I'm trying not to be the type of author who makes everyone wait a year for the next book in the series. I have always hated waiting for the rest of a series and I'm desperately trying to bring my books out quickly. :)

Each character has their important roles in the series. I've had some people question why I had certain things happen in the first book (why didn't I spread them out more), but in order to play their unique roles... I needed to have certain aspects of the story unfold quickly. Book 2 is longer. I think it is the perfect median between fast and relaxed pace. I am really excited for everyone to read it. :)

What did you think of Willow's part in the ending? What do you think will happen in the rest of the series?

Bridget Bowers (bridgetbowers) | 165 comments I really enjoyed Willow's development throughout the book. From the beginning when Savannah described her as so mousy and quiet to see her slowly take charge with her friends, then to seem to come into her own with her confrontation with Death.

I'm curious to find out more about her possible hellhound background. I love seeing characters that appear overlooked or unimportant break out and come into their own.

As for the rest of the series, I'm hoping that Savannah continues to develop a relationship with Ash and Liam. I know the love triangle has been done to death, and then some, but I'm hoping to find out more about those two characters. I'm secretly pulling for Liam, I'm a sucker for the bad boy.

message 13: by J.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bridget wrote: "I really enjoyed Willow's development throughout the book. From the beginning when Savannah described her as so mousy and quiet to see her slowly take charge with her friends, then to seem to come ..."

I love the Hellhounds! lol I've had a lot of fun creating them, which is why they have a whole separate series built around them. :)
Ash and Liam are two of my favorite personalities. I tend to prefer guys at both ends of the spectrum and so both of them are my ideal male (just two versions). hehehe Honestly, I feel like creating them makes it even more difficult to decide their fates. Is that weird?

Bridget Bowers (bridgetbowers) | 165 comments Not at all, they are both great characters. I love Ash's fierce protectiveness, his love for his family and his overall "goodness." Then you have Liam who seems so selfish and self serving, but you can see that deep down he's got some good in him because he did fight against just seducing Savannah. They are both very interesting characters. I look forward to more from them.