Book Haven discussion

Caged in Darkness (Caged, #1)
This topic is about Caged in Darkness
Group Read > Caged in Darkness (No spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

J.D. Stroube | 2393 comments Mod
Caged in Darkness (Caged #1) by J.D. Stroube won in a group poll to be read during November! :)
It's available in paperback and ebook formats.

I am going to personally be here for those of you who want to discuss my book. Please don't feel weird about it. I am really anxious to here was everyone thinks!
It's also a lot of fun if as you read the book, you comment on what you "think" will happen!
If you have any questions... feel free to ask!

Some questions to generate discussion:

Before you read the book...
Based on the cover and synopsis, what do you expect?
Do you like the Cover?
Did the synopsis entice you?

During:

Who is your favorite character? Why
Who is your least favorite? Why
Do you like the alternating POV?
Which scene is your favorite,, so far?

Has anyone decided to read CID? I'm dying here! lol I really need to work on the whole "being patient" thing. haha

stormhawk | 1184 comments how long did the writing part of the process take for you, from idea to finished product? (but not the publishing parts)

stormhawk wrote: "how long did the writing part of the process take for you, from idea to finished product? (but not the publishing parts)"

Hmmm... I don't have an exact amount, but somewhere between 6 and 9 months. I'm still updating it too! Most of the websites, where my book is available allows you to update the content. So, I'm constantly editing more and I have added scenes. I went into more depth with a few things too. All of my changes are reflected in my paperback though. :) That's a big part of why I pushed back the release of my paperback. You can't update those, and I wanted my book to hit the stage where I was fully happy with it. From August 1st until October 1st... I updated my manuscript about 6 times! lol So, I guess when I add that in... 8-11 months.
It was my first published novel and I have noticed that I'm more patient with my writing. It's strange, but it feels like it takes less time to write now...

Ruth (ruthie1) Have started it and I'm enjoying it so far...wish I had more reading time!

Ruth wrote: "Have started it and I'm enjoying it so far...wish I had more reading time!"

Yay! Someone who is doing the group read! :) I'm anxious to hear your questions and thoughts on it.

Ruth (ruthie1) Enjoying the story...I am about 45% into it(ebook)..my only complaint are some editing errors...our instead of are...and in one spot was a sentence Stopped Editing Here...I went Huh! Kinda breaks up the story line....lol

Ruth wrote: "Enjoying the story...I am about 45% into it(ebook)..my only complaint are some editing errors...our instead of are...and in one spot was a sentence Stopped Editing Here...I went Huh! Kinda breaks ..."
Which website did you get the ebook from? I'm asking because I fixed those things and uploaded the fully edited version about a month and a half ago! That means they didn't update it or I forgot about that website and they don't have my updated version. :( The "Stopped editing here" was removed in the new version. lol During my editing process, I write that so that I know where I left off. lol
Let me know asap!

I can email you the updated version, if you would like...?

message 10: by Ruth (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ruth (ruthie1) I bought it from Amazon back in mid September...Guess I just missed the updated one...No you don't have to email me an updated version...I am real managing....TY!

message 11: by J.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruth wrote: "I bought it from Amazon back in mid September...Guess I just missed the updated one...No you don't have to email me an updated version...I am real managing....TY!"

lol Are you sure? You should be able to read it in the updated version! I honestly don't mind. You could think of it as me just replacing the original. It doesn't cost me anything...

message 12: by Ruth (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ruth (ruthie1) Well OK....jrtango@comcast.net Thanks! :)

message 13: by J.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruth wrote: "Well OK....jrtango@comcast.net Thanks! :)"

Sent! :)

message 14: by Diane (last edited Nov 20, 2011 10:30AM) (new) - added it

Diane (dyniy) | 83 comments I'm about 55% done with this book and I'm really liking it. I haven't read a book about witch craft in a while so it really is refreshing. It's a real easy read though there are a few typos but I don't mind. Sometimes my brain thinks with typos, just ask my husband. J.D. I hope that when I get to the end there is an option for a sequel or two. Oh yea, I really like the cover, who did it?

message 15: by J.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

lol Yes, it's part of a trilogy. Caged by Damnation is the second book in it, which I'll be releasing next month. Caged in spirit is the last book, which I am planning to release in a few months. Although, since Caged in Spirit is so long, I'm wondering if I should separate it into two books?

I also have a series what branches off of this one. It has some of the same characters, but it's a little more adult than this one. lol

After that, I'm coming out with a paranormal romance stand alone novel. Then a quartet that is basically an epic fantasy. :)

Does anyone have a favorite character? Who do you think or want Savannah to end up with?

message 16: by Ruth (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ruth (ruthie1) Got the new one...and finished it last night...very good...I like the alternating POV...I really like Savannah's two girlfriends...and would love to hear more about them...

message 17: by J.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

lol Book 2 has a lot more about Willow in it! Her and Savannah are the main characters in it. :)

message 18: by stormhawk (last edited Nov 27, 2011 11:00AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

stormhawk | 1184 comments Ay yi yi ... revisions, other than proofing after release? I had no idea. Will my code from smashwords get me the updated file, or can you send it to me?

One thing I would suggest to you as an online friend ... get yourself the meanest, nastiest editor you can find, one with a big blue pencil, but will guide you into writing a "tighter" story.

I know when I'm writing I tend to fall in love with my words to the point where I don't want to let go of any of them, which you sometimes have to do.

EDIT: nevermind, figured it out and got the latter of the two 9-23-11 revisions from Smashwords.

message 19: by J.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

lol You're hilarious! Yes, the latest revision is always the best. Don't worry, I have multiple people helping with my editing and they are all extremely honest. ;) We're working on finishing up the editing for Caged by Damnation in time to release it on Dec 14th.

message 20: by Diane (new) - added it

Diane (dyniy) | 83 comments I just finished Caged in Darkness and loved it. It is an easy read that has a fresh storyline going for it. It does have some of the characters types found in other Y/A books out there but definately with a new twist. I did like the alternating POV. It isn't something that is used very often so it gave the book that something different & special. I can't wait to get started on Caged in Damnation. I do agree with Stormhawk. You could use some help in tightening up the story some and there are several typos that need to be addressed. But I really did enjoy the book, it's different than most that are out there & I loved the ending, definately not what I expected.

message 21: by J.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

Diane wrote: "I just finished Caged in Darkness and loved it. It is an easy read that has a fresh storyline going for it. It does have some of the characters types found in other Y/A books out there but definate..."

I'm glad you liked the ending. I have noticed that everyone seems to love or hate it. I didn't want the cliche "expected" ending. Since this is a series I have two more books to fill and I thought my ending made my book stand out just a little. :)

Rachel I thought it was great! Congratulations! I thought I'd had enough of the whole teen paranormal fantasy genre but this book changed my mind. I thought the characters were great, Ash was my fave. I also liked Savannah and her friends because they all had really different personalities unlike some of the 2 dimensional characters you sometimes find in books like this! There was also a lot of intrigue, it's such a page turner! And the end was completely unexpected. I can't wait to see how the story will continue in the next book!

message 23: by J.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rachel wrote: "I thought it was great! Congratulations! I thought I'd had enough of the whole teen paranormal fantasy genre but this book changed my mind. I thought the characters were great, Ash was my fave. I a..."

Yay! I'm glad you liked it. I tend to fall in love with books that surprise me and find some way to step away from other books of their genre. I was determined to make my book like that.

Did you like the ending?

message 24: by J.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

Don't forget to make it over to the thread that allows spoilers! I am anxious to hear what everyone thinks will happen in the rest of the series. :)

message 25: by Amber Marie (last edited Dec 04, 2011 03:42AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amber Marie Pettit (sweetestfeline) | 26 comments Thanks JD for giving us your book for free as a Christmas gift. I will make sure to return the favor! I would and will be jumping out of my skin when my first book in "The Darkest Fey" series "Imperfect Serenity" comes out. More than likely as an E-book first. Which is a good idea because I have a tendency to review and edit my manuscript multiple times and I would like a chance to do that when it is released in E-book form before paperback. As to the feeling of jumping out of your skin, I just finished reading a book and started a new one, but only a couple pages in, so I will put it down for now and read "Caged in Darkness" AS soon as I am done I will give a review here and on Smashwords; and anywhere else you would like me to put a review. I would hope when the time comes you will do the same for me :D.
Love, Peace, and CHICKEN GREASE!
Amber M. Pettit

message 26: by J.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amber Marie wrote: "Thanks JD for giving us your book for free as a Christmas gift. I will make sure to return the favor! I would and will be jumping out of my skin when my first book in "The Darkest Fey" series "Impe..."

I'm excited for you! I remember how terrified I was before Caged in Darkness released! It get easier. ;)