dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ally (new)

Ally (goodreadscomuser_allhug) | 1653 comments Mod
Welcome to the November fiction group read:

The Green Hat by Michael Arlen The Green Hat by Michael Arlen Michael Arlen

Let us know what you think...

message 2: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 1002 comments Mod
I started The Green Hat this weekend. He uses beautiful language and prose. I just hope the rest of the book has more plot and a little less "ooh, look at all the things I know!".

message 3: by Ally (new)

...still waiting for mine to arrive grrrr.

message 4: by Julie (new)

Julie Got mine! Haven't started it yet still at the sniffing stage .....Well you cant have a brand new book and not give it a good sniff!!!!

message 5: by Ally (new)

My copy arrived yesterday. yippee. but it's a much fatter volume than I expected!

Anyway, I've done a bit of web searching and cobbled together a few reading group questions for this book...we'll see as we read if theyre any good or not! please feel free to engage with the question or simply to post your unprompted thoughts as you read. Do whatever suits your reading style...

The Green Hat was a best selling sensation in 1924 - how does the book compare to modern best sellers and how have reading tastes changed over the years?

How successfully has the novel captured the atmosphere of the 1920s and the world of the 'Bright Young Things'?

What do you think about Arlen's writing style? pretentious or inspired?

The novel was the base for a Silent movie starring Greta Garbo called A Woman of Affairs. Would this book make a good modern movie adaptation? who would you cast?

message 6: by Jennifer W (new)

Part of the reason I've wanted to read this book for a while was because it was a great success back in the 1920s and I'd never heard of it before this group. I suspect the reason for that would be because it was acutely accurate at the time, so that as later readers read it, it quickly started sounding dated.

I hope to get some more of this book read this weekend.

message 7: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1525 comments I'm not very far into it but so far I find it entertaining. And I like the style of writing. It is light and yet informative.

message 8: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (karenvirginiaflaxman) | 96 comments Ally wrote: "...still waiting for mine to arrive grrrr."

Arghhhh.... Me, too, Ally. Frustrating, isn't it? Sigh...

message 9: by Jennifer W (new)

I'm about 70 pages in and for some reason we're still talking about Iris' brother, Gerald. Why?? I got it (50 pages ago), he's a drunk.

message 10: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (karenvirginiaflaxman) | 96 comments My copy finally arrived, and I'm going to start reading it sometime over this weekend. Really am delighted to at long last get to read this book.

message 11: by Jennifer W (new)

Ahh... finally we get some story! Section 3 of "For Purity" we finally find out about Iris' first husband. I have some questions about what really happened to him, as several stories are presented and I couldn't keep track of which was the right one.

message 12: by Jennifer W (new)

This story has its ups and downs for me. Some moments I'm thrilled that I'm reading this and other moments I'm not sure why I'm reading this. Lately it's been more up than down, so that's encouraging. I can't wait to see how it all turns out.

message 13: by Jennifer W (new)

I have about 70 pages left. I hope to finish within the next few days. I find Iris an interesting character. Does disaster follow her around or does she bring it on herself? I don't know about the other characters in the book, but I think Iris is a perfect example of a Bright Young Thing. I also found myself thinking when the narrator and Napier were talking outside the nursing home that this book would make a very good play.

message 14: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1525 comments It was a play. I checked the broadway data base (http://www.ibdb.com/production.php?id...). Katherine Cornell played Iris.

message 15: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (karenvirginiaflaxman) | 96 comments I'm so late with this read. The book arrived late and what with all the other books in the queue I've not even started it yet. As I own it there's no pressure to finish it to return to a library, and I'm not sure when I'll get to it. I'll miss the discussion, but I'm very glad that I bought it.

message 16: by Jennifer W (new)

Ooh! I just stumbled on a tie-in between this book and Thunderstruck. In The Green Hat there's a line "Says the lady to the Shop: 'Greeting, Sir. I will have a green hat pour le sport, similar in every way to the green hats I have bought here every year since the death of Dr. Crippen.'"

Finially! A period reference that I get! :)

message 17: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (karenvirginiaflaxman) | 96 comments Jennifer W wrote: "Ooh! I just stumbled on a tie-in between this book and Thunderstruck. In The Green Hat there's a line "Says the lady to the Shop: 'Greeting, Sir. I will have a green hat pour le sport, similar in e..."

Yes, that's certainly a period reference, Jennifer. Good ole' Dr. Crippen - murderer extraordinaire! ;o)

message 18: by Jennifer W (new)

I just finished it! I'm so glad to have finally gotten around to reading this. Though his style, word choices, and name-dropping sometimes get old, the story within was definitely worth it in my opinion.

message 19: by Ally (new)

I read the first two chapters and then got side-tracked. I will finish this one though at some point in the new year and post my comments then.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Green Hat (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Michael Arlen (other topics)