FABClub (Female Authors Book Club) discussion

Archives > December/January Book Suggestions?

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (seffietay) Anyone have suggestions for the next book selection?

message 2: by Katie (new)

message 3: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (seffietay) Yeah!! That would be great. Unless anyone else has suggestions I think we should go with Joan.

message 4: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (AlexaNC) | 1256 comments Mod
Oh goodie, that looks wonderful, and I wasn't even aware she had a new book out. It appears not to relate to any of her previous novels, but rather to be the start of a new series. Does anyone know for sure?

message 5: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (seffietay) It looks to me like a new story that's unrelated to her prior works. I'm pretty excited about it!

message 6: by Janel (new)

Janel (janel10) | 19 comments Hi, I've started Exiled, the beginning is good. I'll do The Highest Frontier next. I didn't have access to my list. I'll have to update my Kindle.

message 7: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (seffietay) Exiled looks interesting!!

message 8: by Katie (new)

Katie (hibi) | 31 comments Oh, I recently added Exiled to my to be read.

message 9: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (seffietay) If people are feeling ambitious, maybe we can read both in the next two months? We can add it as an optional read for December/January :)

message 10: by Alexa (new)

I guess I won't be able to join you all with Exiled. While Goodreads claims that there's a paperback edition, all the bookstores just seem to recognize e-book versions and I don't do e-books. Sorry! Maybe I'll go look for some older Joan Slonczewski books. I've also decided to read The Hunger Games.

message 11: by Janel (new)

Janel (janel10) | 19 comments Hunger Games is a great book.

message 12: by Katie (new)

Katie (hibi) | 31 comments Joan could be my mistress with that kind of brilliance. Hunger Games was good too though.

message 13: by Taylor (last edited Nov 29, 2011 03:21PM) (new)

Taylor (seffietay) I had trouble tracking down a paper copy too, so I contacted the author and she sent this link: http://www.amazon.com/Exiled-EXILED-f...

I'm not sure why it was so hard to find, but voila!

message 14: by Janel (new)

Janel (janel10) | 19 comments I hear Hunger Games is going to be a movie. i wonder if they can do it well enough. I'm often underwhelmed with films about the books I've read.

So far I'm not impressed with Exiled. It is a little high school-ish. So far that is.

message 15: by Katie (new)

Katie (hibi) | 31 comments Janel, I seriously hope they can do the books justice. They drew out a lot of emotions, and it would be a shame if the movie(s) couldn't accomplish that.

message 16: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (seffietay) I hope they do it justice too! I cringed when I saw the castings... so many teenage hunks haha

The trailer wasn't too bad though.

message 17: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (mamabri) | 6 comments I am somewhat embarrassingly excited for The Hunger Games movie. I think it actually looks like they did a great job. Woody Harrelson? Perfect Haymitch. I'm not gonna lie, I almost squealed during the full length preview when it finally came out. I LOVE those books, they were my introduction to dystopian YA and none of the many I've read since even really compare. Woooo Hunger Games!

message 18: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (mamabri) | 6 comments I'm waiting on my library to transfer in a copy of Exiled for me, none of the Burnaby locations have it. Argh.

message 19: by Alexa (new)

There's no copy of Exiled anywhere in my county and they won't do interlibrary loan until it's six months old. Frustrating!

message 20: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (seffietay) Exiled seems like a pretty new, pretty small release... not sure what is up with that. I hope it doesn't mean it isn't good! Ha! The preview did look a little young and 'high-schooly', but I'm still going to give it a try. I do love YA sci-fi fiction :)

message 21: by Janel (new)

Janel (janel10) | 19 comments Gosh, I didn't know getting the book would be that hard. I guess I'm privileged to have my Kindle. I'm half way through and it is getting better.

message 22: by Janel (new)

Janel (janel10) | 19 comments I looked at 'The Highest Frontier' on my Kindle. I hate to pay more than $10 for an ebook, so I'm going to go to the library and try to get it that way.

message 23: by Katie (new)

Katie (hibi) | 31 comments Exiled did seem a little young to me as well, haha but I will be honest I judged the book by its cover. I thought it was so beautiful I would read it anyway. Looks like I am going to be getting it in ebook format.

message 24: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (mamabri) | 6 comments Alexa wrote: "There's no copy of Exiled anywhere in my county and they won't do interlibrary loan until it's six months old. Frustrating!"

I'm having the exact same problem at the library.

message 25: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (seffietay) No worries, let's focus on The Highest Frontier, and if we get to Exiled as well that's cool. But it's not essential. I'm excited to read more Joan! She's smart.

message 26: by Alexa (new)

Sounds good to me! I've got a question about timing. If this is the December/January book, does that mean we have two months to read it and that we will then discuss it at the end of January? Or that we read in December and discuss in January? Or something else? Just curious, because my goal is to finish reading it just before we begin to discuss it, so that it is fresh in my mind. So is there a tentative discussion start date? (Also, I'm going to be pretty busy with family stuff from December 17 through January 2 and so won't be able to do much during that period.)

message 27: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (seffietay) I was thinking that we have 2 months to read it, so we can have the big discussion at the end of January. But the thread is there if you want to talk about it as you read. We have to be careful of spoilers if that's the case though.

Any suggestions on a different/better way to do it?

message 28: by Katie (new)

Katie (hibi) | 31 comments In one group we did different sections (i.e the first 60 pages) by certain dates (by Dec. 15), with different threads for each section. That way people could talk as they read, but people who don't want to be exposed to those spoilers don't have to go to the thread and be traumatized by spoilers. :) Oh, and no one was locked into reading at the same pace as anyone else. The threads remained open so that as they finished the given section they could still join the conversation.

message 29: by Alexa (new)

I think that makes perfect sense. Non-spoiler discussion as we read, actual discussion at the end of January. So that means I've got some time to browse through some of her older ones. I've got a few of hers and the library has a few more, and I can't quite remember which I've read. I think I'll have to go hang out at some used book stores. Always a fun destination!

message 30: by Katie (new)

Katie (hibi) | 31 comments If you have not read A Door Into Ocean you definitely should.

message 31: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (seffietay) Ditto what Katie said!