Tudor History Lovers discussion

Tudor Book Recomendations > Don't miss this!

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob (last edited Oct 29, 2011 09:34AM) (new)

Rob | 16 comments This book covers the history of the Tower of London.
I know it's not strictly a 'Tudor' book but this book covers the Tudor period and is an excellent historical read. Although it's four hundred pages long it doesn't seem anything like that - if you have a Kindle download a sample and give it a try. It's one of the best history books I've read. It's informative and amusing - definitely not 'slog' read.

message 2: by Marylou (new)

Marylou (loulu) | 164 comments Ite sounds good. What is tee name of ite as there are several different histories of the Tower of London
MaryLou Dudley

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Rob wrote: "This book covers the history of the Tower of London.
I know it's not strictly a 'Tudor' book but this book covers the Tudor period and is an excellent historical read. Although it's four hundred pa..."

Great recommendation, but you forgot to put the name of the book and/or the author.

message 5: by Rob (new)

Rob | 16 comments Sorry I thought when I posted the first time I had put the details in - it's also available as a kindle ebook. Not the cheapest book going I'm afraid - but I think well worth it.
It has the depth of Alison Weir but with a writing style (which I find more relaxed) of David Starkey.
Robert

message 6: by Richard (last edited Oct 30, 2011 09:55PM) (new)

Richard | 6 comments This looks interesting, especially since I'm reading up on one of the more famous inmates, Thomas More, and his family. Thanks Rob.

message 7: by Rob (last edited Oct 31, 2011 01:12AM) (new)

Rob | 16 comments This book starts at the building of the Tower - just after the Norman conquest-which is a shame in a way. If the book began earlier it would be a concise history of England. I'm now 80% of the way through it - and it's still as interesting and informative as when I started it. It's one of those 'That's a shame I've finished it books'.

Richard:
Richard if you have a kindle can you send me an email?
I have something about Thomas More which may interest you.

message 8: by Karen (new)

Karen (2noelle) | 37 comments I checked on Amazon and B&N and it's not available in e-format or hard copy. Rob, are you in the UK?

message 9: by Rob (new)

Rob | 16 comments Rob wrote: "This book starts at the building of the Tower - just after the Norman conquest-which is a shame in a way. If the book began earlier it would be a concise history of England. I'm now 80% of the way ..."

Hi Karen,
Yes I am in the UK - but I found it here on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Tower-ebook/dp/...

Hope that helps,

Robert

message 10: by Karen (new)

Karen (2noelle) | 37 comments Rob wrote: "Rob wrote: "This book starts at the building of the Tower - just after the Norman conquest-which is a shame in a way. If the book began earlier it would be a concise history of England. I'm now 80%..."

I followed the link, but I still don't see how it's available to us here in the US.

message 11: by Rob (last edited Oct 31, 2011 09:22AM) (new)

Rob | 16 comments Karen wrote: "Rob wrote: "Rob wrote: "This book starts at the building of the Tower - just after the Norman conquest-which is a shame in a way. If the book began earlier it would be a concise history of England...."

Hi Karen,
I thought the link I had posted was to Amazon.com - the price quoted is certainly in US$ - and I only made the link today. It's only currently available in hardback or kindle in the US - same as the UK.
Now I'm really confused as to how you can't get it - is Amazon.com only available to certain parts of the US?
That would be very strange!
Robert

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Karen wrote: "Rob wrote: "Rob wrote: "This book starts at the building of the Tower - just after the Norman conquest-which is a shame in a way. If the book began earlier it would be a concise history of England...."

Rob wrote: "Karen wrote: "Rob wrote: "Rob wrote: "This book starts at the building of the Tower - just after the Norman conquest-which is a shame in a way. If the book began earlier it would be a concise histo..."

It was available for the Kindle for US for a short time, but the publisher has pulled it and it is no longer available :(

message 13: by Rob (new)

Rob | 16 comments Lyn M wrote: "Karen wrote: "Rob wrote: "Rob wrote: "This book starts at the building of the Tower - just after the Norman conquest-which is a shame in a way. If the book began earlier it would be a concise histo..."

In that case I'm sorry to have lead everyone in the USA on 'a merry dance' to no point whatsoever.
Robert

Robert

message 14: by Karen (new)

Karen (2noelle) | 37 comments That's ok Rob, you had the best intentions. I for one would love to hear about what you thought of the book.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Same here, Rob. It was worth a try! And I, too, am interested in your thoughts on the book.

message 16: by Marylou (new)

Marylou (loulu) | 164 comments I found the Tower on ABE, Barnes and Noble,and on kindle at Amazon --all U.S. Amazon.com is all of the U.S., but I think they had 1 copy and now 0copies in hardback--kindle at Amazon, all U.S.
Often I go to
Amazon,
great Britain when I cannot get a book here.

message 17: by Rob (last edited Nov 06, 2011 01:13AM) (new)

Rob | 16 comments I know that the book is very difficult to obtain in the US - but I've now finished the book. This is the review I've sent to Amazon which should appear in the next day or two. It;s the first time I've bothered to place a review of a book on Amazon.
-------------------------------------------------
Five stars:
Easily the most informative and entertaining history book I’ve read – I’ve read most of the works of Starkey, Weir and Fraser.
The story of how Lady Nithsdale engineered her husbands’ escape from the Tower is worth the purchase price alone.
If you are only likely to ever read one history book then I suggest you make it this one!
--------------------------------------------------

The story of Lady Nithsdale plan is set in times Jacobite - but if you put it into a film most people would say it was unbelievable.

If you get the chance to buy this book then do. My only fear is that this book will sink into the pile of all the other history books published - and it deserves much better than that.

message 18: by Karen (new)

Karen (2noelle) | 37 comments Thank you Rob for your review of the book, I can't wait to read it!

message 19: by Marylou (new)

Marylou (loulu) | 164 comments thank you rob for recommending the Tower. I received it from Amazon and am enjoying it.

message 20: by Rob (new)

Rob | 16 comments Good - I think it's great. I'd be glad to know what you think when you've finished it.

Marylou wrote: "thank you rob for recommending the Tower. I received it from Amazon and am enjoying it."

message 21: by Gregory (new)

Gregory House (greghouse) | 122 comments I've read this book, it is as Rob suggests very good and worth adding to your library. I found it an extremely useful reference for a couple of chapters in my Red Ned Tudor mysteries novels particualar in the Queen's Oranges.

Regards Greg

The Liberties of London
The Cardinal's Angels
The Queen's Oranges (Red Ned Tudor Mysteries) by Gregory House

message 22: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (dlecroybeaver) | 2 comments I just ordered this book from Alibris. It was pricey for the Hardcover edition, about $27 US, but I'm looking forward to it's arrival! Thanks so much for the recommendation.

message 23: by Rob (last edited Nov 29, 2011 11:20PM) (new)

Rob | 16 comments Hi Debbie,
I really hope you enjoy the book - it got my personal award for 'Book of the Year'.
As Greg said it's a good reference book - but also a very good read.
Please come back and let us known what you think.
Regards,
Robert

One of the people I work with has just gone on another visit to the Tower - and has now started reading this book.
I have a 'sportmans bet' (ie. no monetary value) with her that by the time she has read the book she will say ' I wish I had read the book before I went on my visit'.

message 24: by Rob (last edited Nov 29, 2011 11:03PM) (new)

Rob | 16 comments Hi Marylou,
I expect you are 'well into' the book by now what do you think of it?
Regards,
Robert

message 25: by Mandy (new)

Mandy | 26 comments I have asked for this for my christmas pressie! Not long to wait!!

message 26: by Rob (new)

Rob | 16 comments Mandy wrote: "I have asked for this for my christmas pressie! Not long to wait!!"

I look forward to reading your review AFTER Christmas!
Robert

message 27: by Mandy (new)

Mandy | 26 comments Got a chance to start this book,so far... gripping. I wish I didn't have so much to do, would love to just curl up and read this. The style is very readable, and moves really well whilst cramming in a lot of information .

message 28: by Rob (new)

Rob | 16 comments Hi Mandy,
I'm glad you are enjoying the book - unlike some history books the style remains constant throughout!
I was a bit worried that you might not like it - especially as you had asked for it as a Christmas present.
Robert

message 29: by Mandy (new)

Mandy | 26 comments I am loving this book! Would have been nice to see a chart showing accessions to the throne and how each monarch was related to predecessor?
Spotted a couple of simple mistakes like a sentence begining with And, but overall it is jammed packed with all kinds of information.