Christian Readers discussion

The Search of My Life: A Memoir
This topic is about The Search of My Life
What's Your Story?

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Norma (new)

Norma Garcia | 3 comments Hi everyone, I'm new to goodreads and thought I'd begin a discussion. Before I became a Christian I went through life searching for that, "Thing" that would make me happy. As a result, however, I kept feeling more empty and confused.

So what was your "Thing?" We all have different testimonies and I would love to hear what you were searching for before you became a Christian.

Can't wait to hear from you :)

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary Findley | 143 comments I came from an unsaved family but a friend who was a pastor's daughter got me to go with her family to their church. 27 miles each way, twice on Sunday, once on Wednesday, with her family of 8 plus me in a station wagon. I got carsick every week, but about the time I turned 13 I realized they all had something I didn't -- a testimony. I asked Christ to save me at their kitchen table. Most of my family is still unsaved, but I will never forget my Christian adopted family.

message 3: by Norma (new)

Norma Garcia | 3 comments That's a nice story Mary :) Thank God you didn't stop the car trips to church even though they were taking thier toll. I love how God uses people to be His Light. Thank you so much for sharing. I love it!

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen I will have to do this when I have time. Great subject.

message 5: by Norma (new)

Norma Garcia | 3 comments Looking forward to it Karen!

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary Findley | 143 comments Foolish Norma, I feel encouraged to go on. :-) In college I met my husband, and together we have spent the last 30+ years growing together in the Lord, producing teaching videos you can view free on Youtube, 9 fiction and nonfiction titles for various ages and interests, two of which have illustrated versions (can't wait for the Kindle Fire so the color will be color) including a brand new Bible Curriculum especially for homeschoolers and a new sequel in my children's/ya historical fiction series. So excited to find ways to serve the Lord, even rolling all over the country in a semi.
http://elkjerkyforthesoul.wordpress.com

message 7: by Rhianna (new)

Rhianna Clawson Well I think overall I was searching for peace and just something that lasted or was a stronghold for me. I was about 13 when I asked Jesus to be my savior and forgive me, and I finally found that peace that lasted and would never leave!

message 8: by Alkmini (new)

Alkmini I was born in a christian family and I was a good girl... I mean I attended Sunday School, I was kind and helpful and everything that a child in church "must" be... The summer of 2009, I was at a christian camp and I was reading my bible, and I realised that yes, I loved God and knew that He existed, but I didn't live for Him and his Glory. So I prayed for Him to change me and make me His child, and until now, the only thing that I want is to get to know him more and more every day and to glorify Him with my every moment.

message 9: by Linda (new)

Linda (deeevoted) | 11 comments I was as rebellious as I could be. Someone told me that I should read Revelation from the Bible and it scared the living daylights out of me! From there I began searching for God - and He found me.

message 10: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Rosen (nikkirosen) | 4 comments Raised in a tight Jewish community I had never learned about grace. Then He touched me. Broke through my darkness. Showed me a love so amazing that it completely turned my life around.

message 11: by Eilleen (new)

Eilleen | 1 comments Norma wrote: "Hi everyone, I'm new to goodreads and thought I'd begin a discussion. Before I became a Christian I went through life searching for that, "Thing" that would make me happy. As a result, however, I k..."

Hello Norma, I am new too, and have been a nominal Christian for as long as I remember. I went dutifully to church, and even got my husband to come after we were married, then I read a book called "My Father is the Gardener" by Colin Urqhuart(?), and my heart yearned for the infilling of the Spirit, I prayed, pleaded, begged the Lord for this enlightening, but to no avail so it seemed. Then on the night of 18th April 1982, my youngest daughter, Hayley, at the age of 7 years, died suddenly at home, as the result of suffocation from inhaling vomit whilst crying because she had burnt her toe. I clung to God at the time, and the dark days that followed, along with my husband. He gave his heart to the Lord publicly a month later, and became filled with the Spirit. I was infilled on the day of her funeral - at home, where people were coming and going and the house was full. I wanted some peace of sorts, so decided to have a bath, and whilst in the bath I prayed "Why, Lord? Why just a little girl?" As I prayed, my tongue changed and I was talking in a heavenly language. I was so caught up in it the bathwater went stone cold. When I finally got out and got dressed, I remember going back into the living room where most of the people were, and they gave quite strange looks, as I had a grin from ear to ear. Both my husband and I, and even the other two children, found ourselves comforting those who had come to comfort us. He was with us then, and with us still, He has never left us, let us down, or not been there when we have been most in need. He has delivered me from death three times already, in spite of what the learned medical profession thought, and I tell everyone how good He has been to us. Things are not perfect, but as long as I know I can rely on Him, I have no fears, no worries, just a heart full of joy! Thanks, for "listenin", Eilleen

message 12: by Karen (new)

Karen After Christmas I will try to get this done. I am going to really cut computer time down for 3 weeks to do with my family. something has got to go.

message 13: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Kirk | 154 comments Eilleen wrote: "Norma wrote: "Hi everyone, I'm new to goodreads and thought I'd begin a discussion. Before I became a Christian I went through life searching for that, "Thing" that would make me happy. As a result..."

I'm sorry for your loss. I believe innocent children go to Heaven and your daughter is waiting for you. Congratulations for your new life in Christ.

message 14: by Patricia (last edited Dec 04, 2011 06:18PM) (new)

Patricia Kirk | 154 comments I lost my job and then became sick. I went to the hospital with no medical insurance. I lost my car and lived in an old mobile home. Then I was offered a job in another city in my field. I couldn't take it because of transportation and I couldn't not take it. I knew I would have a piece of steel left if I tried to move that mobile home. One day, I started pacing and saying "Tell me what to do. Tell me what to do." I must have walked back and forth for hours. Finally an audible voice said (not very spiritually) "Catch rides." I felt myself filled with warmth and joy and realized the voice was God. I was very willful and thought I knew everything. I believe God came to me at that time because I gave up my own will.

I borrowed my dad's car and took the job. On the first day there, another woman from my town started at the same time. She wanted a car pool but we were the only people from my town, so she took a paying rider (me of course). We rode together for two years. The job was with the Federal Government and ten years later Mr. Clinton decided to cut the government to balance the budget. Since I had a creative job it was one of the first to go. I left ten years after starting and my car-mate and I left on the same day. My finances were straightened out by that time and I started over with severance. It's amazing how practical God is sometimes. I love Him with all my heart and soul and mind and strength.

message 15: by Lana Bradstream (new)

Lana Bradstream | 4 comments I was raised a Methodist and then I strayed when I got to college. I was convinced that a Wiccan circle was the place for me. That led to an awful time in my life. So bad, that I didn't return to college. I stayed away from God, only praying occasionally, until I met my husband. He helped me see the light again. Now, I am happier, more confident with my life direction and not afraid to tell people that I am a Christian.

message 16: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Kirk | 154 comments Lana wrote: "I was raised a Methodist and then I strayed when I got to college. I was convinced that a Wiccan circle was the place for me. That led to an awful time in my life. So bad, that I didn't return to c..." I'm glad you got out of that.

message 17: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Kirk | 154 comments Linda wrote: "I was as rebellious as I could be. Someone told me that I should read Revelation from the Bible and it scared the living daylights out of me! From there I began searching for God - and He found me."beautiful.

message 18: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Kirk | 154 comments Nikki123 wrote: "Raised in a tight Jewish community I had never learned about grace. Then He touched me. Broke through my darkness. Showed me a love so amazing that it completely turned my life around." Praise the Lord.

message 19: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Kirk | 154 comments I was going to respond to all of these but they are all wonderful.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I have always thought my story was boreing and insignificant. Then a guy at my church said "Jesus didn't say to Peter 'go and make mistakes- then come to me.' He said, 'come follow me' ." That changed the way I though about my story.

I accepted heist when I was six, and re-commited two years ago. This isn't a transformation story, just a humble story about a small is year old girl who decided to turn to Christ, then a thirteen year old who reconsider that she had fallen astray from his path and recommitted.

message 21: by Rod (last edited Mar 02, 2014 04:36PM) (new)

Rod Horncastle Good Question: What is that THING?

I've been a Christian since I was probably 9 or so. Mom dragged us to church after the parents separated (and then divorced). I had no problem believing there was a God of the Bible - even though 30 something years later i'm still investigating him.

But that thing has always been to live a life to the full, with valor/strength/truth and hopefully honor (and lots of comedy). It has taken me years to understand what all that en-tales. How to be a rebel for the right cause. (the only cause is God's Glory.)

Every Bible character has been an inspiration at one time or another. From King David to Ehud to Paul to Barnabas. To be a man for God is a lifelong quest of mistakes and challenges always facing the enemy head-on.

When I was a teenager I told myself that I would STAND with the Bible until somebody tore it down. Many decades later the Bible is more truthful and trustworthy than ever. No one has made the slightest dent in this book thanks to people like John MacArthur and Chuck Swindoll (and of course Billy Graham).

Now I am a Father with adopted Teenagers...and trying to help them with their THING.