Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

Initiate's Trial (Wars of Light and Shadow, #9)
This topic is about Initiate's Trial
Wars of Light and Shadow > Initiate’s Trial: Planning to read, first impressions **NO SPOILERS**

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Anyone planning to read this? Thanks Jon, for putting it on the front page! I've already read it and it's awesome!

message 2: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments I set that up months ago, just as soon as I new the release date.

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Jon wrote: "I set that up months ago, just as soon as I new the release date."

Oh, you're sooo efficient! :)

message 4: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 50 comments I'm posting here since this is the no spoilers thread.

Could I very politely ask people to take care to uncheck the "add to update feed" button when posting major spoilers in the other thread. I follow quite a lot of your updates and I'm a few books behind. The series is so fantastic I really don't want to be spoiled. I'll try to be careful too, and watch out, but I hope you don't mind if I post this here.

I can't wait to read this one myself, but I've got 2 1/3 books to go before I can start. I'll be back to these threads myself later.

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Will try to remember :).

message 6: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments Sorry about that. I'll keep that in mind. No spoiers or anything else coming until I get my hands on the hardcover! Still hasn't arrived.

message 7: by Helen (new) - added it

Helen Well obviously I'll be reading it. Not sure whether to wait for the next one though, isn't that the last one?

message 8: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments Helen wrote: "Well obviously I'll be reading it. Not sure whether to wait for the next one though, isn't that the last one?"

There are two more left. But there really is no reason to wait for the final novel to be published. Janny never ends with a cliffhanger and each novel nearly stands on it's own. Sure, it helps to be familiar with the world and the handful of main characters, but it won' prevent you from enjoying the ride.

And this novel stars another story arc, which promises new and changing revelations on what has gone before.

Bill (kernos) | 59 comments Yup, as soon as I get my HC. This is testing my patience!

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Kernos wrote: "Yup, as soon as I get my HC. This is testing my patience!"

I got mine. Where did you order from?

message 11: by Amelia (last edited Oct 30, 2011 05:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments I have my copy, but I'm right in the middle of the Malazan series, so I might wait a bit to read this. Two heavy series might be too much for me right now. (I know they're completely different, but both very complicated in their own way.)

Side note, I've got my Mom reading Curse of the Mistwraith. Yeah!

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Yay!

message 13: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill (kernos) | 59 comments Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "Kernos wrote: "Yup, as soon as I get my HC. This is testing my patience!"

I got mine. Where did you order from?"

From Amazon which still lists the HC as a preorder, shipping in January. I decided to cancel this and get it from Amazon.co.uk which ships now.

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments If you order it from The Book Depository it's free shipping.

message 15: by John (new) - added it

John | 136 comments Hey everyone, I've just finished Toll the Hounds, the last book of Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series that I needed to re-read before finishing the last two volumes of that series, but I just couldn't wait any longer to get started on Initiate's Trial, so I'm putting my Erikson marathon on hold for a bit and getting back into Janny's wonderful world.

I have a question before I get started: can anyone point me to a great recap of the previous books? It hasn't been that long since I read them, but I'd like to refresh my memory on the details before I start. Thanks!

message 16: by Sandra (last edited Nov 10, 2011 01:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments John wrote: "Hey everyone, I've just finished Toll the Hounds, the last book of Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series that I needed to re-read before finishing the last two volumes of that s..."

I don't know of any. That's why I did a reread of the series before this came out. I think you can read this book without them, however, as it starts 250 years later. If you have questions you can post them in the discussion.

The most relevant bit is the scene at Athir when they brought (view spoiler)

message 17: by John (new) - added it

John | 136 comments All right. Well, I trust to my memory and your assurance that the book doesn't require me to remember all that much. :) Right now I just have too many books I want to read and too little time, but I figure I'll read the entire series start to finish when the final volume comes out, since that will be the perfect excuse to make time to re-read this wonderful series.

Aussie500 | 36 comments You could just read the summary at the beginning of Stormed Fortress, and the last few chapters of Stormed Fortress. Or just start Initiate's Trial, in a way it is that far in advance time wise to the previous 8 books and because of what happens to Arithon it is a fresh start anyway. Probably the best time to read the whole series is after Destiny's Conflict, to try and unravel the mystery before Janny tells us the answers. We should have most of the clues by then, and I do not see her telling us too much about it in the next book, more fun to keep us guessing.

message 19: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "John wrote: "Hey everyone, I've just finished Toll the Hounds, the last book of Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series that I needed to re-read before finishing the last two volu..."

@Sandra: You should probably mark that last paragraph as a spoiler since this is the 'no spoiler' thread. :)

Aussie500 | 36 comments Also on re-reading, there are some parts and angles to the story that are not going to be apparent without a fair few re-reads, since it takes a while to notice all the subtle hints. But then some might have more fun re-reading after the final book, to see everything that was in plain sight that they missed.

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Jon wrote: "Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "John wrote: "Hey everyone, I've just finished Toll the Hounds, the last book of Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series that I needed to re-read before fin..."

I unmarked it from my update feed and this thread is no spoilers for Initiate's Trial.

message 22: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill (kernos) | 59 comments I finally got my HC copy and it is next up after I finish Jack McDevitt's new Alex Benedict novel Firebird which I am really enjoying. I love Alex and Chase and their mysteries.

Stephen Donaldson's accolade on the back cover is quite impressive. I just wish the covers were of the old style rather than the newer theme. Janny, did you do a cover painting for this, like on the 1st edition HCs? I would love to see a pix.

message 23: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 414 comments Kernos wrote: "I finally got my HC copy and it is next up after I finish Jack McDevitt's new Alex Benedict novel Firebird which I am really enjoying. I love Alex and Chase and their..."

I haven't, yet. Plans are, some point, I will. I did an image for Stormed Fortress in the older style - it is nearly done/just needs a little more to finish it out. Time, time, and time....;)

message 24: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill (kernos) | 59 comments "Time is the fire in which we burn." And we never last long enough to do what we must. Still I'll look forward to seeing the pictures.

message 25: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 414 comments Kernos wrote: ""Time is the fire in which we burn." And we never last long enough to do what we must. Still I'll look forward to seeing the pictures."

Eventually, I'll catch up with the website. The delays are mine - the resident gryphon who manages the Paravial site is always on top of developments.

message 26: by Amelia (last edited Mar 22, 2012 12:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments I finally stared this last week or so. I've finished Malazan, which was taking up most of my reading time.

It's nice to be back with these characters. I was a bit thrown off by the 200+ jump in time. Maybe it's just been a long time since I've read the others, but I don't remember Arithon being captured/betrayed. Poor guy. I hope he's going to find some time of happiness and safety sometime in his life.

Enjoying it so far. I haven't ventured into the spoiler thread yet because I don't know what kinds of things are being discussed.

Alissa | 52 comments Recently started! The sweeping finale of Stormed Fortress, while it closed the Arc beautifully, prompted me to grab Initiate's Trial forthwith, no way I'm gonna leave Athera till the last page, and given it's the beginning of a new Arc, I think it'll keep things more lively while I wait for the sequel.

The book starts with a bang. I like what I am reading and I am pretty engaged, but I had to overcome the initial shock and get my bearings. Of course the time leap unsettled me. I think the effect was heightened because I gave Stormed Fortress the exact time to settle, for me, and not one minute more. The first chapter was very powerful and, until the scene of (view spoiler), requiring attention word for word, because Selidie and Asandir were treading old ground, but I was not. Selidie stymied won the day of my happiness in any case, even if I felt in mid-movie.
It has clearly happened a lot!
Then I started to settle in, I think. Now I'm amid ch III, and enjoying together the pieces of the past as it is revealed.
Of course it's a huge shift, I feel a bit like I was in Curse of the Mistwraith but from a complete opposite position and I can empathize with Arithon's confusion, too, wallowing in the same pond.
I also perceive a change in the writing style nuances, to match Arithon's new attuned approach and actions borne of (view spoiler). The sensation is very tactile and I like it very much.
It's also fun to see Arithon's new mix of skills. He is a true survivor! And for now the threads followed are clear-spun so it isn't too much all at once to absorb while I adjust.

What a move. Never, never presume. I really really want to know more!