Sisterhood Everlasting (Sisterhood, #5) Sisterhood Everlasting discussion

Could you have predicted the change of the girls.

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rahmat I just finished reading the book and I just had to ask. The way the girls changed in the story was not what I imagined.So what do you think?

Katherine I think that if you imagine them not living up to their potential, and veering toward the not-so-positive/admirable sides of their personalities, and letting that become who they are - yes, I think you could predict it. To be honest, I was disappointed. It was sad. For one, I still don't understand why Ann would return to their story, only to kill off one of the girls. But mainly, I hated to see how Lena had become. I was sad that Bridget wasn't doing much of anything with her life, when she was so amazing at soccer. She seemed so discontent. And how little Carmen valued herself. How swept away she'd become. And this is not at 22, at 25 - they're nearly 30.
They had crazy rides of confusion and mistakes while teenagers, but they were just that - teenagers. Deciding who they'd become. They were so much bigger back then.

In the conclusion, it was rounded out to be somewhat a feel good story of hope. But all in all, it was just the opposite for me. That such incredible people so full of potential and just bursting with life would turn out so mediocre, so dissatisfied with life. After the hopeful, heartening way the previous books left off, it was just very disappointing to me.

Rachael You really nailed it, Katherine. I just finished this book and found myself wondering throughout why Brasheres couldn't leave well enough alone. I'm not exactly sure what she was trying to get across here, but if it was hope and friendship, I'm not sure she succeeded. Just as you pointed out, the girls' seemingly endless potential fizzles out in a very disheartening and disappointing way.

message 4: by brooke1994 (new)

brooke1994 I'm mad at Anne for Tibby drowning! It put Lena, Bee, and Carmen through so much that they shouldn't have gone through.

message 5: by Katherine (last edited Apr 13, 2012 07:06PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Katherine I just feel that if Ann wanted to write a book about grief and healing, she shouldn't have opted on the seemingly "easy way out" and revisited the world and characters she'd already established. She should have written an entirely different book.
I'm not trying to insult her, she created an incredible series. I just don't understand it and, like I've said, it's really disappointing.

message 6: by Kayla (last edited Apr 13, 2012 04:32PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kayla I was disppointed in Bee. but she graduated from brown, she was practically a mia hamm, and she WALKS DOGS FOR MONEY??? i mean really. i didn't expect her to be really ambitious, but more than THAT

Megan Collier I was greatly disappointed. She took characters that people loved from the other books and completely changed them. I can't believe she killed off on of the main characters in a drowning, I was shocked and devastated and honestly wanted to stop reading. Then Lena becomes recluse keeping to herself letting no one in. Carmen is all about a guy who she doesn't love and has no self esteem. The one that really got me was Bridget (she was always my favorite)she was doing nothing with her life and the author made her runaway while she was pregnant. I just didn't expect the book to turn out how it did.

Vicki It was a much darker book than the former ones. I was disappointed, too, with the downturn of most of their lives. With all their advantages, they did not make the most of their lives. Perhaps the next 30 years would be different.
The thread of loss permeated the book so heavily. It weighed on the characters, whether the loss was of a parent or ultimately of Tibby. I am not sure the ending made up for this. Tibby was given too much credit after having hid her pregnancy and motherhood from supposedly close friends and family. If it hadn't been Ann Brashares writing it, I would never have picked up such a hopeless book.

Amanda I think a lot of people have unrealistic expectations of the 20s. Not everyone is going to be a superstar or make all the right choices, and it is abundantly evident at the beginning of the book that all of the girls have made some bad choices. That's highly relatable for the 20-somethings who grew up with the books. Perhaps setting it at 29 is a bit of a cautionary tale for the readers. Get your act together before you're almost 30 and still pining over a lost love, still spending your days just biking up and down hills, falling into the trap of superficiality, etc.... I know that's not a theme for everybody, but I think it's brave of Brashares to take the characters to a dark place in their 20s, particularly when they are such flawed folks to start with.

message 10: by Delilah (new)

Delilah I, for one, kind of liked the book. I liked the bittersweet closure at the end, and I feel like that was how it was meant to be. Although, I did get disappointed in the middle by their bad decisions and their low self esteem, but I think Ann was trying to show what letting go of important friendships can do to you, especially these girls. I like the idea of a mini-Tibby coming in as a new core bond for everyone. It was a wonderful closure for me, but I can sort of see where some people might not enjoy it so much, especially because of it's difference from the other books. But it was nice to see how their adult lives were turning out.

Lauren I did not enjoy this book as much as I thought I would. Bridget I was not surprised by so much. She was always a bit lost. Although Carmen had gotten into acting, I did not think she would go Hollywood. I thought she would be maybe small theatre; and I definitely did not see her in a relationship like that one. I was immensely disappointed that Tibby drowned. The book was so much about loss, it was a bit depressing. I did like the idea of having a book about them growing up though.

message 12: by Sheyenne (last edited Aug 02, 2012 04:42PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sheyenne The book was on the depressing side with Tibby drowning and all. I honestly just read the book to see where Lena and Kostas relationship went which also kind of annoyed me it took 5 books for them to FINALLY get together even then it took to the END of the 5th book. I didn't like the whole Bridget running off thing it was a little...juvenile. Really the whole book was on the juvenile side I was surprised it was in the "adult" section of the library. I had to keep reminding myself that these girls were almost 30 they acted like teenagers. I was really dissapointed with Bridget I thought she was going to be some big soccer star or a coach or SOMETHING she didn't even pick up a soccer ball in this book and slightly annoying running off when she found out she was pregnant refusing to tell whatever his name his. But I do have to give kudos to Bridget for NOT getting an abortion (I hate abortion with a passion it's not the baby's fault you were careless but don't get me started lol). This was my least favorite book the character really grew in the first 4 books but then in this one they just went downhill. Overall kind of dissapointed...

Rashika (is tired) i was really disappointed because she killed one of the main characters... and when i was reading the book all the characters seemed so immature and non 30 like. well maybe my expectations were high but i was really sad about the fact that Bridget was doing nothing with her life. As for Carmen i was shocked because i really couldnt see her turning out the way she did.

Stephanie Haefner Delilah wrote: "I, for one, kind of liked the book. I liked the bittersweet closure at the end, and I feel like that was how it was meant to be. Although, I did get disappointed in the middle by their bad decision..."

I sooooo agree!!!!!

As sad as it was to lose Tibby, I did really like the book. I agree, the characters were miles from where the 4th book had left off. But that's the way life happens sometimes. People get lost. The girls obviously lost themselves when they let their friendships fall to the wayside. And in real life, that happens too. People can't always stay in touch they way they want to. I liked the way they found their real selves at the end.

The thing that bothered me about the book wasn't even the actual story...just the style she chose to write the book in. It was a very quiet novel. Most of the book was the girls and their inner thoughts...so actual action.

Elena I really liked how the girls got to meet up together again at last and how they've all got their lives as adults. I was so excited for when they got back together in Greece. When they found out Tibby was gone, I was devastated, but it did make the book better. I had a feeling it was because of that girl in the first book, who died. I hope she writes another to really finish this off, because it was left kind of on a cliff hanger

Jassy Jay Stephanie wrote: "Delilah wrote: "I, for one, kind of liked the book. I liked the bittersweet closure at the end, and I feel like that was how it was meant to be. Although, I did get disappointed in the middle by th..."

Word.
That's what makes this book so good.

Of course it's so much more beautiful to imagine the four girls still being besties and living the ideal life, but seriously that's not always the case. in most books it might be but it was nice to see different.
Yeah there are 30 year olds who are still looking for what they want to do with their lives.
And people don't really change, they just adjust to a situation and maybe lie to others and it seems like they've changed...
So it was interesting to see Lena still being shy and all.

And we got to see what we like to unsee in real life.
People hold us together. Like Tibby did. They were there because of Tibby and they were close again because of Tibby being dead and all.
That happens a lot in real life.

Katherine I do appreciate that it's pretty realistic... I definitely agree that 30 year olds can be trying to find themselves just as much as teenagers.
It's just that, at least to ME, these books weren't always some "this is the way life really is, realistic, no fairy tales" kind of thing. They were about a slightly magical pair of pants, and four extremely bright girls with an unusual bond. The style and plotting was very unexpected, and since it was an unplanned book I'm a little confused.
But then I always love happy endings and/or hopeful, open endings.

Jassy Jay Katherine wrote: "I do appreciate that it's pretty realistic... I definitely agree that 30 year olds can be trying to find themselves just as much as teenagers.
It's just that, at least to ME, these books weren't al..."

I found the whole series realistic. The pants were not really magical but to the four girls they were. They symbolized their friendship whenever they were apart.
That could have been a bracelet or anything else but they chose the pants.
And the unusual bond is simply a close friendship.