ONTD Book Club discussion

Writing Style

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 45 comments NaNoWriMo is coming up and every year I try to finish. I never have, but it reminds me writers I do enjoy. Just to get the ball rolling, is there any writer you wish you could write like?

I'm reading Langston Hughes autobiography The Big Sea right now and I love the humor and how conversational his tone is. I also love the breadth and variety of his work.
Neil Gaiman at his best has some of these qualities. I also like Zora Neale Hurston for the same reasons.

message 2: by Lina (new)

Lina Rivera (linarivera) | 12 comments I just joined this site and one of the first things I put in my profile was writers I wish I could write like! Mine are Margaret Atwood, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, and Phillip Pullman. I'm jealous of people like that who have a genius talent for words.

How'd you do in the NaNoWriMo this year? It was my first year trying it and I failed after Day 1. :[

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 45 comments How'd you do in the NaNoWriMo this year? It was my first year trying it and I failed after Day 1. :[

I think I made it to Day 4 with about 780 words.

message 4: by Winny (new)

Winny Lee (winnylee) Nanowrimo: I failed after week 1 with 13,466 words! I will try again next year though :)

message 5: by Lina (new)

Lina Rivera (linarivera) | 12 comments 13,466 words is awesome!

I'm definitely trying again next year.

message 6: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (daniellenjames) Lina, I agree with you with Atwood. I read the mandatory Handmaid's Tale a while ago, but have recently read Blind Assassin and Cat's Eye and have fallen in love with her prose.

message 7: by Mansi (new)

Mansi (mansikamble) J.K.Rowling. Apart from the obvious, Harry Potter is written in third person, which usually either creeps me out (don't ask why) or annoys me. Rowling does it brilliantly. Enough said.
I'm currently reading 'Saving June' by Hannah Harrington, and I really like her style of writing. And, despite all its' acclaim, Sarah Dessen's writing never really stood out to me.

message 8: by Mansi (new)

Mansi (mansikamble) Oh, and Stephen Chbosky and Jenny Han. Their writing really pulls you in.