Happy & Brainy Group discussion

Literature > Anita Brookner, one of my favorite writers

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy H. (last edited Oct 25, 2008 08:41PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) One of my favorite writers is Anita Brookner. Wikipedia says that her writing "explores themes of isolation, emotional loss and difficulties associated with fitting into English society. Her novels typically depict intellectual, middle-class women, who suffer isolation, emotional loss and disappointments in love."

However, it wasn't just the subject matter in her work which drew me in, it was her clear and elegant style of writing.

Although I've enjoyed other writers, Brookner stays in my mind as being among the writers who have brought me the most satisfaction.

Brookner won the Booker prize for her book, _Hotel du Lac_ (1984).
Hotel Du Lac by Anita Brookner

For further information and a list of her writings, go to the following webpage:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anita_Br...

message 2: by Ilyn (new)

Ilyn Ross (ilyn_ross) | 1071 comments Mod
Hello Joy.

Thank you for joining us and for posting.

message 3: by Joy H. (last edited Oct 26, 2008 08:30AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) You're welcome, Ilyn. I appreciate that you've posted at the Glens Falls book group. We're just getting started and it helps to see new faces at the group.

Of course, I'm from Glens Falls, NY. Where are you from?

message 4: by Ilyn (last edited Oct 26, 2008 09:18AM) (new)

Hi Joy. I am from New Jersey.

message 5: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) So you're not too far from NYS.

We see a lot of NJ cars in the Lake George area here in NY. New Jersey folks come here on their vacation.

My sister loves to go to Cape May, NJ, for her summer vacation. Beautiful place.

message 6: by Ilyn (new)

I work in NYC.

message 7: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) I see. Then you might enjoy the post I just made at:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/7...

It provides a link to photos we took while sailing in NYC Harbor. I'm sure you'll recognize the sights.

BTW, can you please tell me what building that is in the background of the photo entitled: "Checking the Sails", where our son is looking up at the sails.

message 8: by Nina (new)

Nina | 58 comments Hi Joy,

I, too, love Brookner's books. I think I have read all of them, but perhaps not. Although you are not supposed to judge a book by it's cover and I usually don't, I simply love the cover on one of her books, "Visitors." I recommended it. nina

message 9: by Donna (new)

Donna (skeets) | 30 comments Hi All,

I see my friends have now met. I am glad That Joy gave us a try. I apologize for not getting back to any one sooner but it is very hectic here. I will try to make it up.

Nina, I have finished Ilyn's book and I absolutely loved it! George is quite ill and I can't get to the post office for you, yet. I did finish the "Pilot's Wife" by Anita Shreve. I did not like it because it was to predictable and no action.
Joy, I was thinking maybe when I go to Clifton Park next summer maybe we could meet. I don't drive, Only because the Dr. thinks the public would not be safe ;).

Ilyn, I hope everything is going great with the new book. All the best to you and keep the words flowing.

I have to go now. Talk to you all soon.

All my best, Donna

message 10: by Ilyn (last edited Oct 28, 2008 01:41AM) (new)

Hello Joy, Nina, Donna, and everyone. Have a wonderful day.

Joy, thank you for posting a link to the photos - I will look at them again this weekend.

Nina, it may take a while, but I will check out Visitors.

Thank you so much, Donna. I hope George will be fine soon. Thanks - I have written 29,000 words for my new novel.

message 11: by Nina (new)

Nina | 58 comments Hi Donna,

Take care of George and when the crisis passes it's then time to mail the book. Glad you liked it as that makes me anxious to give it a try. It is hard for someone you care for to be ill so know you and George will be in my evening prayers tonight and God Bless, nina

message 12: by Nina (new)

Nina | 58 comments Hi, My message was accidentally sent before I finished it. I started to say have you ever read anything by Penelope Lively? She, too, has won many prizes and because you like Brookner I somehow know you would also love Penelope. Try her! nina

message 13: by Joy H. (last edited Oct 28, 2008 10:51AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) Hi folks - Nice to see you all here. Nice to meet Nina for the first time. (My grandkids call me Nina.) (g)

I'll have to put Brookner's _Visitors_ on my to-read list.
Visitors by Anita Brookner

I'll have to look into Penelope Lively's writings:
Penelope Lively

Donna, yes, let me know when you're in my area. I'd love to meet you. Is George your husband? Sorry to hear he isn't well. Hope he'll get well soon.

I'm hoping to see some folks posting at my new book group.
It's very lonesome there. (g)
Here's the link:
http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/7...
Even if you just pop in to wish me luck, it will be appreciated.

This is just the kind of conversation I'd like to see at my group. I suppose it takes time to find the right people.

-Joy

message 14: by Ilyn (last edited Nov 02, 2008 12:13PM) (new)

Joy, the building must be the Jersey City Central Railroad Terminal:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en...

message 15: by Joy H. (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) Yes, that has to be it! I've added that fact to the caption at the following album online:
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album...

Thank you so much, Ilyn! How did you find out?

I really appreciate your help!

message 16: by Ilyn (new)

My pleasure, Joy. My husband googled "images" of "?" - I forgot his search criterion.

message 17: by Joy H. (last edited Nov 11, 2008 05:42PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) Thank your husband for me, Ilyn.

One time a man from Australia helped me identify a building in NYC which I had photographed from a bus. He saw my question at a forum at funtrivia.com online. It was amazing.

See the pic here: ===>

http://www.wunderground.com/wximage/m...
(scroll down)

The building is the Alexander Hamilton Custom House, located at One Bowling Green, between State and Whitehall Streets, at the southern tip of Manhattan.

An online website* states the following: "One of the city's most splendid Beaux Arts buildings. The monumental sculptures by French [Daniel Chester French:] are very much part of the architecture of the façade, their whiteness-and that of those at the attic by other sculptors are a rich counterpoint to the structure's gray granite." ... "In 1994, the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of the American Indian took over two floors of the Old Custom House."
*For more close-up photos [showing the amazing statues outside the building
and near the roof:] and information see the following website: ===>

http://www.nyc-architecture.com/LM/LM...

message 18: by Ilyn (new)

I will, Joy. You are welcome. Thank you for sharing the links.