Russian & Soviet Literature discussion

Vasily Grossman
This topic is about Vasily Grossman
Life and Fate

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Kaple (dkaple) | 2 comments Has anyone read Grossman's monumental novel called Life and Fate? I think it is one of the most important Soviet-era novels written. It is a close-up of Soviet people who survive (and some who do not) the devastating battle of Stalingrad, but it's really so much more.

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 2 comments Can you recommend a good book about Vasily Zeichchev, the Stalingrad sniper? I loved that "Enemy at the Gate" movie but it seemed like they had made parts up. Would be interested in knowing the real story.

message 3: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Kaple (dkaple) | 2 comments He wrote a memoir called Notes of a Sniper. People say it's a fabulous book, and it's been translated into English under his name, written Vassili Zaitsev. I think we should read it ourselves and find out!

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 2 comments Let's do it! I'll order it now!

message 5: by Danny (new)

Danny | 1 comments Deborah wrote: "Has anyone read Grossman's monumental novel called Life and Fate? I think it is one of the most important Soviet-era novels written. It is a close-up of Soviet people who survive (and some who do n..."

I just finished Life and Fate maybe a month and a half ago. I found it devastating, beautiful and extremely evocative, almost to a fault in that I felt a general cloud of despair as I was reading it, but I say fault hyperbolic. Fantastic insight. Wonderful book. I'm thinking about reading Forever Flowing, or maybe some of his non-fiction. Do you know of any other books that are similar to Life and Fate?