The Plantagenets discussion

Books > The Plantagenet Chronicles 1154-1485

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (last edited Oct 28, 2011 07:24PM) (new)

Melissa (rockstarninja) | 7 comments I just picked up a new book from Barnes&Noble called The Plantagenet Chronicles 1154-1485 and it's awesome. I just thought I should share and suggest everyone go take a look if you haven't already seen it.

message 2: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharonk) | 10 comments I agree with you, Melissa. This is a wonderful book.

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (rockstarninja) | 7 comments I was a little disappointed in how the author glossed over Edward IV, Edward V, and Richard III. He smashed them into a total of 7 pages and left his analysis of Richard III to saying after his brother died, he locked up the sons in the tower, had them killed, and then he was killed at Bosworth Field.

Most of the Authors other works are about the Tudors, so it is probably safe to say he has a bit of a Tudor agenda, but even with that, on the whole, the book is still a very comprehensive history of the Plantagenet line.

message 4: by Susan (last edited Oct 29, 2011 04:40PM) (new)

Susan (boswellbaxter) I've been looking forward to seeing this. Will have to go looking for it!

ETA: I was at my Barnes and Noble tonight and didn't see it, although it's listed as being "in stock." Wonder how I managed to walk right by it?

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (rockstarninja) | 7 comments Susan wrote: "I've been looking forward to seeing this. Will have to go looking for it!

ETA: I was at my Barnes and Noble tonight and didn't see it, although it's listed as being "in stock." Wonder how I manage..."

I actually found it up where on a table by where the bargain books are.

message 6: by Miss Melly (new)

Miss Melly | 2 comments I purchased this last week (in Australia)- I agree with Melissa that it's not comprehensive - but think of it as the dessert that follows the main course - not a meal on its own, but a sweet treat xx

message 7: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melloveschallah) | 2 comments Got this for a bargain at B&N, mostly for the pictures. It's obviusly not an in-depth history on it's own but a very nice guide for if you need a refresher or forget a particular fact. The photos are gorgeous though, definatly better than the ones I have been printing off of the internet over the past couple years =]

message 8: by happy (new)

happy (happyone) | 142 comments I got it for Christmas - good coffee table book

message 9: by Orsolya (new)

Orsolya (orsolya_d) | 9 comments I received this as a gift from my boyfriend around the holidays. BEAUTIFUL book but I haven't been able to read it yet.

message 10: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Sounds wonderful, it is now on my "to read" shelf.

message 11: by Carolina (new)

Carolina Casas | 10 comments I enjoyed this book. Found it on Barnes and Norble bargain priced section. Good read.

message 12: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendyloveridge) I'll look this book up, sounds interesting. There is an amazing TV series just started in the UK...The Plantagenets, it's fab. I'm sitting in Waterstones (Book shop) Gloucester, having a coffee and writing this. There is a Richard III exhibition on here until 30 March, complete with his bones!

message 13: by Mark (new)

Mark Beaulieu | 19 comments Another book by the same name is also a treasure: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...