!The Young Adult Book Club! discussion

94 views
Out of Subject > Suicide?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (patrick_castro) What do you guys think of Suicide and the choices people make to commit it? How far will you go to stop someone from doing it?


message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm gonna skip the first question. And, I will go as far as talking to them (which I do) And if it comes to the point where they WILL DEFINETELY commit, 911.


message 3: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (patrick_castro) How would you feel when you would dial those numbers and a tragity is happening every second???


message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 28, 2011 06:22PM) (new)

.... <.< I dunno.... But, Ill answer the first question now.... Hmm.. I am not against suicide. I don't think it's selfish, I don't encourage it though. I understand that people think its wrong. But, have they ever been in their shoes? I know what it feels like to want your life to end. And, for me, it's a choice. If you want your life to end, its not up to anybody else... You. Just. Do. For some people, you can't say anything that will change their mind, however, I believe that everyone should try. Nobody should judge them, or make them feel uncomfortable in any way. I understand that it may seem like people don't have good enough reasons, or no reasons at all.. But they do.. Once again, what if you were in their shoes? After your death, you wouldn't want people going around talking about how you just sat around and felt sorry for yourself. People. Have. Reasons.... People also believe that life will better after death. Which, if you are a follower of Christ, it will. However, many aren't followers.. And, it will be living Hell... Literally. Though, Ill preach about god when I feel the need.. Or I am asked to, cause thats another story.. So, yeah.. That's my opinion 100%


message 5: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (patrick_castro) Thanks for sharing Kaley!


message 6: by Mikayla (new)

Mikayla (kismetkayla1431) | 525 comments i think that for some people suicide seems like to only way out, like they cant change and the need to end their lives because nothing will change and they cant go on anymore.


message 7: by Nika (new)

Nika | 17 comments Makayla wrote: "i think that for some people suicide seems like to only way out, like they cant change and the need to end their lives because nothing will change and they cant go on anymore."

I think so


message 8: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) Patrick wrote: "What do you guys think of Suicide and the choices people make to commit it? How far will you go to stop someone from doing it?"

To those who pick it suicide looks like their only option to them. Most believe they aren't worth anything and that their life is so bad it can't be changed. Being bullied is a big cause because victims are made to fell worthless and friendless. Suicide is not a selfish act to those who choose it because they feel alone and believe they are alone, hence nobody would miss them so it is not selfish. I am against it just because no human being is worthless, I have seen too many people try to commit suicide because they don't see how they can help. You don't judge these people, it is their choice and being judged is sometime their MO. All have some reason either it big or small and it may not make sense to the rest of us but it is their reason.

I would quietly call 911 as to not give the person a reason to go and then I would talk them out of it or atleast untilled someone more experienced than me to get there. (I wouldn't suggest trying to talk them down unless you know what you are doing, I have taken suicide
prevention classes and am qualified as a junior nogotatior and
unfortunately had to use what I know more times than I care to count)

How far would I go? I have stood on a ledge with someone and would do it again without a second thought if that's what you mean.


message 9: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) Here is a group, please join if you fit the description. It isn't professional help but we can direct you that way. Check out S.I.T.O.N. suicide too.

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/5...


message 10: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (patrick_castro) all I have to say to people who tried to do it or plans to: that your not alone. Don't end your life to end the pain and sorrow. Move away and turn you head toward the sun,drop that knife and look at what you are doing.
“Turn away. From the darkness, the madness, the pain. Open your eyes and look at the light.”
― Jennifer Donnelly

“I will rain down silver and gold for you. I will shatter the black night, break it open, and pour out a million stars. Turn away from the darkness, the madness, the pain. Open your eyes and know that I am here. That I remember and hope. Open your eyes and look at the light.”
― Jennifer Donnelly

And Speak up.


message 11: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) Kate wrote: "Knowing a bit about depression, yeah people believe it's the only way out. Sometimes they feel like no one would understand. When someone commits suicide, usually their family and friends are shock..."

Getting help is much much easier said than done and 80% of the time it is a huge shock to friends and family, just another reason to reach out and listen to others.


message 12: by Sonya (new)

Sonya (sonyaskibicki) Suicide sucks. It's selfish, and it hurts everyone around them. It leaves a whole in the family that they left behind that can never be filled, and they will ask for the rest of their lives, why? If you say you understand why people do it, then you have never known someone who has. Can you imagine remembering the last time you saw that person, and always wondering if you could have done something to stop them?
For people who say it take bravery to kill yourself, then your wrong. It's not bravery, it's cowardice, and should never be encouraged or accepted.


message 13: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) Sonya wrote: "Suicide sucks. It's selfish, and it hurts everyone around them. It leaves a whole in the family that they left behind that can never be filled, and they will ask for the rest of their lives, why? I..."

I agree with your last statement but not with the understanding. You can understand why someone would and still have known /witnessed a suicide. I understand why someone one would, they see it as the only way out. I still think it is wrong and am strongly against suicide but it makes sense in their head so they do it even though it is wrong. Yes, I can imagine remembering the last time I saw someone and wonder if I could have done anything because I have done it. It is an awful sickening feeling in the bottom of your stomach that just sits there and then it weighs on your conscious. Suicide leaves a giant ragged hole that never truly heals, it is wrong and that is why we need to stand up against it, reach out to those who need help, and listen.
((Sorry if I have offended anyone, it was not my intent))


message 14: by Losthowever (new)

Losthowever | 13 comments I think suicide is selfish. You make your family and friends suffer awful pain instead of turning your life around and being happy. We all go through awful situations but we need to be strong.


message 15: by Lucille (new)

Lucille (lucillep) | 855 comments I am not against suicide, nor am I in favor of it. There are people who are suffering more than they let us see and if they cannot handle it anymore, they just break down. Some of us might be courageous, but some minds are just weak and too sensitive.


Committing suicide is at one point selfish. But on other days, I think it is not. It is their own life and we don't know what they are going through. We might think that it's selfish for them to commit suicide and leave their families, friends, etc... but it's also selfish of us to want them to stay when they are hurting beyond repair.

I would ask for help from someone secretly or call suicide hotlines without the knowledge of the suicidal person. I think it would help him/her if few people know about his thoughts of suicide. I would also try to talk him out of it. Mention the good memories and stuffs, and ask why he wants to do it and if I can help in anyway.

Suicidal people tend to think that their life won't get any better and might become worse, so they want to escape from it. I think we should just simply stay by their side and prove them wrong.


message 16: by Colby (new)

Colby (colbz) Losthowever: If somebody is depressed, turning around and being happy is not as simple as it sounds.


message 17: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) Losthowever wrote: "I think suicide is selfish. You make your family and friends suffer awful pain instead of turning your life around and being happy. We all go through awful situations but we need to be strong."

Colby has a point when he said it is a simple as it sounds. Those who no longer want to be here think there is no turning around and it is a long hard, tedious climb back up to being happy. You just aren't instantly happy. I think, in a way, isn't it selfish of us to want them to stay to spare us but make the suffer? That is why you have to pay attention and stand by them to help them back up, so none gets hurt and no one dies.


message 18: by Lucille (last edited Dec 04, 2011 05:58PM) (new)

Lucille (lucillep) | 855 comments Irene wrote: "Losthowever wrote: "I think suicide is selfish. You make your family and friends suffer awful pain instead of turning your life around and being happy. We all go through awful situations but we nee..."

Indeed. We just have to make them change their minds and have a better outlook in life. But we cannot blame them for committing suicide. We don't know for sure what we might do when we are faced in the same situation as them.


message 19: by Irene (last edited Dec 04, 2011 06:23PM) (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) Excatly, everyone says: 'suicide is selfish ' or 'it's stupid to commit suicide, why would somebody' and they don't realize what it's like in someone's shoes who would consider suicide.


message 20: by Jojobean (new)

Jojobean I am speaking from experience. Sometimes all the help that people want to give and all the talking in the world doesn't help. I felt like I wanted to do this at one point in my life because of a situation that occured. Sometimes talking to people just doesn't help. Depression is a very hard emotion to feel and it doesn't just go away. People can tell you to be strong and eveything but if the person feels like they can't do it, then they can't and forcing them won't work. What you need to do is find something or someone that can help them and direct them to that person. My parents tried to talk to me, and help me but it got to a point where it just wasn't working. Then my dad said something which I'll never forget. He said "I can't help you so I'm going to find someone who can." My dad then took me to the hospital to the psychiatric wing to talk to a psychiatrist. Then told me to talk to a psychologist and see a psychiatrist for medication. So thats what my dad did and now i'm better. But it was hard and it took time for me to get to where I am now. I'm so glad my dad saw that he couldn't help and stepped aside to let the professionals handle my situation. There are psychologists and psychiatrists for a reason, to help people. I would say direct a depressed or suicidal person to them who knows how to handle depression. Its the best thing to do for that person


message 21: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) Joanne wrote: "I am speaking from experience. Sometimes all the help that people want to give and all the talking in the world doesn't help. I felt like I wanted to do this at one point in my life because of a si..."

Yep, and you just have to coax them to go to someone who can help.


message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Calling suicide selfish hurts me. I am a person that a never a day goes by where I don't wish I had committed suicide the day before. Sucicide is the way out, well, it feels like it.. I don't think its selfish at all.


message 23: by Rohn (new)

Rohn Federbush (rohnfederbush) | 33 comments Suicide is the ultimate act of self-hate. Self-compassion is a giant step to take. Courage to live can start with first stopping the self-ruminating, self-flagulations of negative thoughts. A big stop sign should occur in your head. Then do anything, a walk, a talk if you can bear it, pound nails, paint your nails, help someone else; then when time has passed go back and figure out what caused the upset with rent-a-friends (therapists) if needed. Sometimes are plans outreach reality and our disappoints cause humiliating feelings. I prefer to face reality and humility enhancement by facing my outlandish senarios which usually fail in more than one way. Hope is the thing that flutters on the soul and Emily Dickinson wasn't the only one who heard it in the drearest land.


message 24: by Missy (new)

Missy (missy_aurora) I'm not sure that talking to a professional can help, talking from family experience. Some times people feel so alone and fed up with their life that they don't see committing it as selfish. How would you feel talking to a complete stranger about your problems? I think the best thing we can do is be there for them and make sure that they have a strong support system to help them through their tough time. Do not force them into talking to a professional, they have to realize that they need to take action and solve their problems but when they feel like talking they will.


message 25: by Rohn (new)

Rohn Federbush (rohnfederbush) | 33 comments I self test myself. If I encounter suicidal thoughts three times in quick succession, I see a professional; otherwise, I realize I need to carefully reboot my plans and see where I've encounter a problem.

Rohn Federbush


message 26: by Missy (new)

Missy (missy_aurora) Rohn do you mean over a period of days- say three days in a row or how often do you mean quick succession?


message 27: by Rohn (new)

Rohn Federbush (rohnfederbush) | 33 comments Usually this would be a six week event before I wake up to the fact that all is not well.


back to top