Debates of all sorts discussion

World issues. > Racism

Comments Showing 1-50 of 82 (82 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 905 comments Mod
Is it still a problem? How can you stop it? Etc...

message 2: by Maddie (new)

Maddie  | 57 comments Its not as big a problem but humans will be humans and anything different or new it something that they can pick on or about. Not sure you can stop it....but its also not an over the top problem.

message 3: by John (last edited Oct 28, 2011 05:17PM) (new)

John Egbert (heirofbreath) | 492 comments Yes, yes it is. To stop it teach people that they are no different from anyone else, regardless of facial features and skin colour.

message 4: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Yeah. Its still a problem but not that big as it was.

message 5: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ Well, it's not so much as a problem here anymore although I'm sure it's worse in some other countries. However, even here, I think it's still a big problem. The main issue with preventing it is that I think it's kind of a taboo.

Yes, minorities supposedly have equal rights as caucasians do, but they are still widely stereotyped and it can be harder for them to get jobs, etc. and that's something that's harder to prevent.

It really has to do with how our brains work. When we see someone who's different from us, we automatically associate that difference with being abnormal or wrong. To overcome that internal racism, you have to shut off that voice and be able to accept those differences rather than fear them. The problem is, we can't do away with our instincts so in a way, everyone is always going to be somewhat "racist" in that we'll always be able to recognize differences and associate them with stereotypes. The best thing to do would be to acknowledge that we think in these stereotypes and to tell ourselves that they're wrong.

message 6: by John (new)

John Egbert (heirofbreath) | 492 comments Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* wrote: "Well, it's not so much as a problem here anymore although I'm sure it's worse in some other countries. However, even here, I think it's still a big problem. The main issue with preventing it is tha..."

*insert standing ovation here*

message 7: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ Mello wrote: "Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* wrote: "Well, it's not so much as a problem here anymore although I'm sure it's worse in some other countries. However, even here, I think it's still a big problem. The ..."

Bahaha. Why thank you.

message 8: by Cody, Ninja (new)

I'm completely against racism, obviously, and it's still a bit of a problem. But I'd also have to say that some people bring it upon themselves...

How often do you see black people following all the stereo types? Have you ever seen black people ridicule other ones because the latter is becoming more educated and apparently become more white? Also what's with the double standard, why can they call each other the N word but we can't call them it?

message 9: by John (new)

John Egbert (heirofbreath) | 492 comments Cody wrote: "I'm completely against racism, obviously, and it's still a bit of a problem. But I'd also have to say that some people bring it upon themselves...

How often do you see black people following all t..."

I'm sorry, but can I just say right now you've very much offended me...let's just get that out of the way first.

I probably should have watched that "how to tell people they sound racist" video first, but who cares. Cody, this may be hard for you to understand, but...you sound racist.

There. That was easy.

Firstly, you act like you walk down the fricken street and see black people referring to each other like that. And guess what, it's called irony. They aren't being serious, DUH. And even still, they don't do that now. "Being white" is usually referred to as not knowing how to dance, cook or generally have any sort of cosmic rhythm. I don't agree with that and I don't talk like that, but you seem to be living in the 50's with your definitions.

Secondly, and I just talked about this way, there are two versions of nigger (what? If you want to use it so bad don't shy away from the word).

Nigger is the word racists use to describe a black person as an object, property, or thing to serve them. Nigger is actually Spanish for black object, hence where the whole word came from.

Niggah, which is slightly different, refers to "comrade" or "homie", you know, as in "we're both in this shit together" or something. It's a play on the original word, a way to bounce back from the racism of it.

So, hey, you see the difference. It's not a double standard kinda thing, it's a not wanting to deal with racist losers kinda thing.

Lastly, I know I seem pretty pissed off during this whole comment. Well, actually, no, not really at you but more of the whole universe right now. So please don't take it personally.

message 10: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Sorry I didn't mean to sound racist, I'll admit I live in a predominately white area, but when I go south... I see stereotypes. Oh and I didn't realize their was a difference between nigger and niggah... Always thought it was an accent difference. Honestly maybe I worded what I was trying to say badly... I'm not saying all blacks are like that, but I've seen ones who are and it just confuses me. I never insult people because of who they are, ever. So I'm sorry if I insulted you... I live in rural PA... I don't see a large amount of black people till I go south a few times a year... I was just pointing out an observation...

Does that still sound bad, I'm tired...

message 11: by John (new)

John Egbert (heirofbreath) | 492 comments Aha, well no it doesn't. You see, coming back on the defensive would have sounded bad. But perhaps I was a bit harsh in my phrasings.

((Well, all I can say is that a) you know now and hopefully know not to say anything like that ever again in front of any person of colour if you wish for them to see you in a remotely positive light and b) we can move on from this into a greener and less racist sounding pasture :P (eh, kidding...but probably shouldn't like that kid so easily)))

Logically, nobody really means to sound racist and we all say stupid sounding things I'm an expert! so it's all cool.

message 12: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Yeah fair enough... I do stuff like this often... not usually racist though... my blunt observations that aren't always the best can sound insensitive... Sometimes they're good observations yet just worded badly... Damn brain :P

message 13: by Kogiopsis (last edited Oct 29, 2011 11:11PM) (new)

Kogiopsis Can I submit this LJ post to the discussion?

This isn't a subject I'm really comfortable discussing in the abstract, so I'll hold off on contributing my own thoughts for a bit.

message 14: by John (new)

John Egbert (heirofbreath) | 492 comments That's an interesting post, Anila.

message 15: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ Cody wrote: "I'm completely against racism, obviously, and it's still a bit of a problem. But I'd also have to say that some people bring it upon themselves...

How often do you see black people following all t..."

I see how Mello was offended by this, but I see what you're saying. It's just hard to say it in a way that doesn't sound offensive.

I think the problem you're getting at is the possibility that races conform to the stereotypes that exist about them. That is, if you're taught certain things and treated a certain way throughout your whole life––that is, "You look like this, so you have to act like this ..." We're all affected by how others treat us and about what the media shows us, and that changes how we view others and ourselves. So yes, I think all races at some times act like they're "supposed" to, without necessarily thinking about it. But if you grow up with a certain perspective of yourself based on the world around you, it's going to affect your behavior.

message 16: by Cody, Ninja (new)

You said that exponentially better then I did... Thank you yes that's what I was trying to say...

message 17: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ Sure thing.

I guess the thing is, you can't blame any race group for acting a certain way considering other races expect them to act a certain way. If that makes sense.

message 18: by Anony-miss (new)

Anony-miss a-non-y-miss | 399 comments Mod
Yes, that makes sense.

message 19: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 767 comments Mod
A bit back I read several articles about how children will adhere to their parents stereotypes...like for example if one sibling is known as the 'outgoing one' s/he will try to always act outgoing and fit in with that while another sibling might feel discouraged from trying to become more outgoing because s/he's the 'quiet one'. So my point is, I feel like that's sort of the same thing with people acting like their race stereotypes - and those start when you're young and all as well, so...yeah. :P

message 20: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ That's an interesting point. I think that's totally true, now that I think about what I and all my siblings act like... haha.

message 21: by Anony-miss (new)

My brother doesn't always act like me, that's for sure :-P

message 22: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

That's not what I was saying, though: I meant that if, for instance, you were characterized as 'the musical one' and your brother was characterized as 'the sporty one', you would be more encouraged to explore music while he would be encouraged to play more sports.

message 23: by Kirby (new)

Kirby | 132 comments ♥ Rachel♥ wrote: "That's not what I was saying, though: I meant that if, for instance, you were characterized as 'the musical one' and your brother was characterized as 'the sporty one', you would be more encouraged..."

that's a very good point!

message 24: by Anony-miss (new)

It's called pigeon-holing (I think so? I could be wrong ..)

message 25: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (Forever_Alone_Wolf) I hate it. People make fun of Asians, but I have no idea what's funny about it. I'm Asian if you didn't notice. XD

message 26: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (last edited Feb 01, 2012 06:32PM) (new)

Kirby wrote: "that's a very good point!"

Thanks Kirby :)

Tenebris In Lux wrote: "It's called pigeon-holing (I think so? I could be wrong ..)"

Not exactly, pigeon-holing is sorting something in general into narrow categories; it doesn't imply dis/encouragement.

message 27: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

That's very true. And then they bring up their kids that way...but modern society tends to frown upon racism, so maybe their kids are encouraged to be more accepting anyway.

message 28: by Kogiopsis (new)

Kogiopsis And on that note: this is a must-read because it makes several important points about racism. First and foremost is that it's not an individual thing but a societal one - "Racism is not just the KKK running around lynching people, it is an ongoing systemic disorder that has not stopped and will not stop until we all intentionally dismantle it." Second is that it's not just a matter of being accepting - it's a matter of changing the fact that society values one skin color over another in every context, every time, from magazines to the lead parts in movies to characters in books.

It's important not to compartmentalize racism, make it into this little box of slurs and lynchings and Things Bad People Did Back Then because it's not; it's part of our society today that needs to be changed and we can't just label it 'fading away' and kick it under the bed so we don't have to look at it.

(on another note: roachpatrol's social justice tag is one of the most educational and well-written discourses on this kind of topic that you can find, if you don't mind a little Homestuck meta-analysis working its way in there from time to time.)

message 29: by ARTPOP (last edited Feb 03, 2012 11:13AM) (new)

ARTPOP  | 152 comments The problem with racism is that people need to know the meaning! Saying that someone is black or white dose not mean your rasist!Racism is more like discrimination. Racism is not liking someone because of their colour or where thy come from. Saying something or someone is a different colour isn't racist. As soon as you know it people will send you to cort for saying that mobile phone is white. What has happend to this world?!

message 30: by Isaac (new)

Isaac Racism. Gah, it drives me crazy. The reason why being that it seems that only white people can be racist. A white can arrest another race or just call them black or Asian or what not and can be freaking sued while all the other races can do the same thing and it's "equal". It's still a major issue, but not in a way people would think. Some people are using it as a leverage, I guess, to feel better about themselves or something. Like, "My ancestors used to be slaves so I'm going to be as rude as possible to everyone else." They always say, "We're equal!" but then they have " dating sites", " history month", " award show". And honestly, I am sick of the whites being left out.

This has turned into more of a rant. So America had slaves. But we fixed the problem. Now the whites have this huge black spot on them that seems to never be repaired and it really annoys me.

message 31: by Kogiopsis (new)

Kogiopsis Emily [Without a word to go with thought] wrote: "Racism. Gah, it drives me crazy. The reason why being that it seems that only white people can be racist. A white can arrest another race or just call them black or Asian or what not and can be ..."

This says it all much better than I can.

message 32: by Isaac (new)

Isaac Are you saying I am racist and I believe I am above the rest?

message 33: by Kogiopsis (last edited Feb 28, 2012 03:37PM) (new)

Kogiopsis "And honestly, I am sick of the whites being left out."
For that sentence alone, if nothing else... yeah, basically. I don't mean to be rude but yeah. The reason we have a particular Blach History Month is because the other eleven are effectively White History Months, and whining about the one that's singled out to talk about a minority whose history is swept under the rug is a pretty racist thing to do.

message 34: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (Forever_Alone_Wolf) Its cruel. Its not right to base (or pretend to) someone on other race.

message 35: by Isaac (new)

Isaac Anila wrote: ""And honestly, I am sick of the whites being left out."
For that sentence alone, if nothing else... yeah, basically. I don't mean to be rude but yeah. The reason we have a particular Blach Histo..."

I didn't say, "ABOLISH ALL OF IT!" I was meaning that I'm tired of the big fuss about it. I know it happened and it makes me sick what they did to them, but there are black people who are racist against whites and really stress how mistreated blacks were.

message 36: by Kogiopsis (new)

Kogiopsis Aaaaand this again. I know it's kind of an academic thing, but it's not possible for the minority to be 'racist' against the power-holding majority. Racism is defined by the fact that the perpetrating group has more social power.
It's also not just a matter of what some nebulous 'then' did to some nebulous 'them' - it's the fact that the society we live in today continues to be racist - not just against black people, by the way, though that's a big one. One of the best examples I can find is this: (just one salient quote of a very interesting article.)
Racism is alive and well - in the way we treat immigrants, in the rates at which certain groups are incarcerated, in the sentencing for crimes - actually,
here's a pretty good list, though some of it is historical. A lot of it isn't - about the second half, actually.
Also worth reading: this, this, this, this, and this. If you pick just one of those, it should be the second - here it is again for convenience - because it's a great explanation of the definition of racism I'm using here.

message 37: by Kirby (new)

Kirby | 132 comments the dictionary that I use (merriam-webster) gives this as the definition of racism:

: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

so I don't really think it's necessary that a racist be part of the majority...you can be a member of a minority group and still make judgements about people based on their skin color...

message 38: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (Forever_Alone_Wolf) Some people take color/race the wrong way and its messed up. No one's perfect nor are they the same.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Anila wrote: "Aaaaand this again. I know it's kind of an academic thing, but it's not possible for the minority to be 'racist' against the power-holding majority. Racism is defined by the fact that the perpetr..."

So, let me see if I understand this correctly?

A black man cannot be racist towards a white man because whites are a majority?

Hummm...

When my brother was in middle school he was dating a Spanish girl and the parents would not let him in the house because he wasn't of their origins, wouldn't this be considered racism? I think it is.

I won't argue that there are a disproportionate number of blacks in the prison system (a large percentage in jail on marijuana charges and other minor offenses) I also won't argue that there is a strong element of racism that drives the vitriol against illegals. I will however argue that anyone can be racist.

Racism exists within all groups of people whether they are minority or the majority. A friend of mine is a landscaper, white, and he was turned down from several jobs because he was white due to the fact they would rather hire hispanics. Judging someone's work ethic from the color of their skin is racist no matter how you look at it.

message 40: by Kogiopsis (last edited Feb 29, 2012 12:14PM) (new)

Kogiopsis That's the difference between an academic/non-academic definition of racism. Prejudice applies to all situations; racism doesn't, necessarily. We're working off of two different definitions, which is why I provided a link to that post explaining the one I use - here is the relevant section again if you didn't click on it.
"There is a confusing disconnect between the what the term ‘racism’ means in the common usage (holding and enacting prejudices against people because of their skincolor) and the academic (the detrimental leverage of institutional privilege against nonwhites). In the common usage, a black person who doesn’t like white people is just as ‘racist’ as a white person who does not like black people, because they are both basing their dislike on race. In the academic usage, black people do not have any institutional privilege to leverage against white people, and hence while they can be prejudiced against white people they cannot be racist."

Does that make more sense?

message 41: by Isaac (new)

Isaac Anila wrote: "Aaaaand this again. I know it's kind of an academic thing, but it's not possible for the minority to be 'racist' against the power-holding majority. Racism is defined by the fact that the perpetr..."

You're calling black people the "minority". Isn't that being racist?

message 42: by Kogiopsis (new)

Kogiopsis 'Minority' is a statistical term, and statistically, there are more white people than black people in the United States, ergo they are in the minority.
I'm not sure how identifying a group as a minority/majority would have anything to do with racism, by the way, especially since said identification is an important part of recognizing and responding to actual racism.

message 43: by ARTPOP (last edited Mar 01, 2012 09:10AM) (new)

ARTPOP  | 152 comments Emily [The Horrible Giggle] wrote: "Racism. Gah, it drives me crazy. The reason why being that it seems that only white people can be racist. A white can arrest another race or just call them black or Asian or what not and can be ..."

I agree with that. I am not trying to be racist but it is true. Racism has become such a big problem now that even saying some is black/white can classify you as racist. But if you are proud of you race/colour you should take that as a compliment really.
Also yeah, if America has fixed the problem...
THE REST OF THE WORLD SHOULD WAKE UP FROM THEIR LITTLE FANTACY!!!!!!!!!!! If one place has fixed it the rest shouldn't be too far behind. White people can't, for the rest of eternaty, be left out because of something that happend years ago. Plus thoes times were different so how we now see it and how they used to see it will differ entiarly. We should put the past behind us. The past is the past and you can't change it.

message 44: by ARTPOP (last edited Mar 01, 2012 09:15AM) (new)

ARTPOP  | 152 comments A fact:
There is no one in this world who is 100% NOT racist. You will at least one time in your life have a problem with someone racially. So in theory we should all go to jail from the day we are born.

message 45: by Kogiopsis (new)

Kogiopsis Lorelli wrote: "A fact:
There is no one in this world who is 100% NOT racist. You will at least one time in your life have a problem with someone racially. So in theory we should all go to jail from the day we are..."

...People don't go to jail for racism.

message 46: by ARTPOP (new)

ARTPOP  | 152 comments They do. Look it up.

message 47: by Kogiopsis (new)

Kogiopsis Lorelli wrote: "They do. Look it up."

I'm pretty sure the burden of proof falls on you right now, since you made the original assertion. Find me cases where someone went to jail for being racist - just being racist, not for, you know, committing an actual hate crime.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Anila wrote: "That's the difference between an academic/non-academic definition of racism. Prejudice applies to all situations; racism doesn't, necessarily. We're working off of two different definitions, whic..."

Yeah, it was just the way you worded your first post that threw me for a loop.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Lorelli wrote: "They do. Look it up."

Where? I have never heard of anyone going to jail for being racist. Racism itself is not a crime.

message 50: by ARTPOP (new)

ARTPOP  | 152 comments Give you a link latter.

« previous 1