ROBUST discussion

Author to Author > What kind of promotion, ads etc works?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andre Jute (new)

Andre Jute (andrejute) | 4851 comments Mod
Ben Dobson wrote on Kindleboards at
http://www.kindleboards.com/index.php...
"After an amazing burst of like, 7 sales from a Kindle Nation Daily ad..."

message 2: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 1099 comments That's great...if he sold his books at something like $20 each!

message 3: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Beard (jabeard) All those things like Pixel of Ink and KND really are only effective if you're already decently selling from what I've seen. Kind of chicken and egg there.

message 4: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 1099 comments So how does someone who's selling next to nothing get noticed?

message 5: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Beard (jabeard) Aggressive social networking is one way (and the primary method associated with the most successful and even semi-successful indies I can think of off-hand).

By aggressive, I don't mean spamming, I mean active, sustained, and genuine social engagement across a number of different media channels.

Even the people arguing loudly about multiple titles being the key (e.g., Bob Mayer, Dean Wesley Smith) are notable in that they either are still aggressive about being all over the net (I can't go anywhere without seeing Bob Mayer) or having a large following already (Dean Wesley Smith).

Though in Bob's case, I think his argument was more that aggressive social networking/marketing isn't time-effective until you had a decent number of titles, so you can get more bang for your time buck and also get the built-in synergistic sales that come from multiple titles.

Time, of course, is a form of money itself. :)

message 6: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 1099 comments I think part of the problem for authors in the southern hemisphere is that most of the traffic on social networking sites happens when we're asleep. What we post during our daytime has sunk out of sight by the time traffic builds up, or people answer but we're no longer there to keep up the conversation. So "active, sustained, and genuine social engagement" is difficult.

message 7: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments Very true - networking across 'the pond' and then 'over yonder' can keep me on the PC all day and night. Very strange feeling.