Herman Melville discussion

The Game of Creation by Viola Sachs

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donald (new)

Donald (donf) | 26 comments Greetings. I'm new to this group. I really enjoyed reading the threads and have learned a lot. I came across a book about "Moby Dick" a few years ago, took it out of the library at least twice before and this time I'm really going to read it. It's "The Game of Creation" by Viola Sachs. It deals with a lot of the esoteric underpinnings of Melville's book. Some of the Chapter names give a feel of what this books is about:
"Ishmael,the covenant and the black square," "The Money Making animal," "The number of the Beast: The Cetalogical system," "The Castaway: the cornerstone of Melville's Counter-Bible," and "Ahab's Leg." Is anyone familiar with this book? Comments?
Also, can anyone give me a good source for Melville's
lecturing career in 1858-59?

message 2: by Charles (new)

Charles Kell (goodreadscomkell) | 3 comments Donald,

Have not heard of the first book. However, a great text on Melville (and it's relatively short) is Andrew Delbanco's book, Melville: His World and his Work. I read it in 2006 and remember Delbanco discusing Melville's lecturing career, etc. Don't know if you've read it or not, I cannot recommend it highly enough for Melvillians and casual fans alike.

Cheers,
Charles Kell

message 3: by Donald (new)

Donald (donf) | 26 comments Charles - Thanks so much for your post. Yes, I would like to read the Delbanco book. Someone else on this group also recommended it. (I'll pick it up Monday on your recommendation.) I would also like to purchase the 2 Volume Parker Biography. One seemingly good source, Jay Leyda's "Melville Log" seems to be out of print. I would think some publisher would see some pecuniary value in republishing it. (I have a copy of the Poe Log and it's an incredible source!)

message 4: by Frederick (new)

Frederick Welcome to the group, Charles. And thanks, Donald, for mentioning Andrew Delbanco's book.

message 5: by Donald (new)

Donald (donf) | 26 comments Frederick, Thanks for your post. I just joined the Group, Charles suggested the Delbanco book.

message 6: by Donald (new)

Donald (donf) | 26 comments Donald wrote: "Greetings. I'm new to this group. I really enjoyed reading the threads and have learned a lot. I came across a book about "Moby Dick" a few years ago, took it out of the library at least twice befo..."
Charles - I picked the Delbanco book up yesterday, will start reading it soon. Thanks again for the suggestion.

message 7: by Donald (new)

Donald (donf) | 26 comments Answered my own question about a source for the Lecturing. I found this book in the Library today: " Melville as Lecturer" by Merton M Sealts Jr.