fiction files redux discussion

Reading Our Own > exciting news for people who read! (and also fly - or both)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new)

Patty | 896 comments Mod
Hi e! This is truly awesome. I was wondering, since you have the inside tip, if you know how the books were selected?

message 3: by Matt, e-monk (last edited Nov 09, 2011 11:16AM) (new)

Matt Comito | 386 comments Mod
Best Nonfiction:
Townie – Andre Dubus III, Bossypants – Tina Fey, Granta 116: Ten Years Later – Granta, Ed. John Freeman, Swerve – Stephen Greenblatt, The Heart and the Fist – Eric Greitens, Arguably – Christopher Hitchens, In the Garden of Beasts – Erik Larson, Sex on the Moon – Ben Mezrich, The Psychopath Test – Jon Ronson

Best Fiction:
Ready Player One – Ernest Cline, The Sisters Brothers – Patrick DeWitt, The Language of Flowers – Vanessa Diffenbaugh, West of Here – Jonathan Evison, Claire DeWitt and the City of the Dead – Sara Gran, Stories for Nighttime and Some for the Day – Ben Loory, The Tiger's Wife – Tea Obreht, The Tragedy of Arthur – Arthur Phillips, The Fates Will Find Their Way – Hannah Pittard, We the Animals – Justin Torres

Best Young Readers:
The Chronicles of Harris Burdick – Chris Van Allsburg, A Monster Calls – Patrick Ness(inspired by an idea from Siobhan Dowd), OK for Now – Gary D. Schmidt, Wonderstruck – Brian Selznick, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children – Ransom Riggs

Best Business Interest:
Nothing to Lose, Everything to Gain – Ryan Blair with Don Yaeger, Money and Power – William D. Cohan, Tell to Win – Peter Guber, Boomerang – Michael Lewis, The Quest – Daniel Yergin

Hudson Booksellers' 2011 Book of the Year:

West of Here by Jonathan Evison

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/10/27/4011...

message 4: by Matt, e-monk (last edited Oct 30, 2011 09:56PM) (new)

Matt Comito | 386 comments Mod
Patty wrote: "Hi e! This is truly awesome. I was wondering, since you have the inside tip, if you know how the books were selected?"

yes

there is a board comprised of the buying team (5 people), the operations team (my team, 4 all told) and bookstore managers/booksellers in the field (another 15 or 20) - anyone can nominate, nominated titles are disseminated to all interested parties - mid-summer there is an initial round of voting to winnow down the title listings - we do look at late season books and guesstimate a bit if we dont have galley's yet (1q84 was in the running before anyone read it for instance but then before the final vote there were a few meh reviews from panelists)

there's a final vote in September/Early October - we tabulate and then announce

message 5: by Kerry, flame-haired janeite (new)

Kerry Dunn (kerryanndunn) | 886 comments Mod
This is wonderful! Such talent in our midst! I love all our writers!