Outlander Series discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived > December Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 152 (152 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Leea, Escape Artist (new)

Leea | 1239 comments

It's time to nominate a group read for December...

This is our first Group Read and we are going to open the nominations with the the theme of 'Family Drama.' This means, that we are asking you to nominate a book that has family drama in it, it can be any genre but must follow these guidelines:

1. The book has to include 'Family Drama'.
2. If nominating a book in a series, it must be the first book in the series.
3. Each person can only nominate one book.
4. The book has to be available in print as well as ebook.

Let the nominations begin!

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 143 comments If there was ever a crazy family...

Mine Till Midnight (The Hathaways, #1) by Lisa Kleypas by Lisa Kleypas

message 3: by Leea, Escape Artist (last edited Oct 28, 2011 02:59PM) (new)

Leea | 1239 comments Yay! We have our first nomination... Thanks Stacia! I love the Hathaways!

message 4: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments no one says family drama to me more than Kristin Hannah - Night Road by Kristin Hannah

message 5: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments Yay, wonderful! Thanks for the nominations guys!

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy (amyrica) Still Alice by Lisa Genova. It's a bit depressing but is a fascinating look into how an intelligent woman and her family deal with her early onset Alzheimers. The family drama revolves around dealing with her diagnosis and progression of the disease.

message 7: by Leea, Escape Artist (new)

Leea | 1239 comments Thank you Amy and Dee for those nominations :) I'm getting excited.

message 8: by Carol (new)

Carol (lucky47) | 1 comments How about the Pennyroyal books from Julie Anne Long ?
There are so many great family books out there. Great post.
Carol L
Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

message 9: by Maureen (new)

Maureen | 1 comments The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly.

message 10: by Bambi (new)

Bambi Unbridled (bambi_unbridled) | 3 comments I nominate Highland Blessings by Jennifer Hudson Taylor .

Kidnapping a Highland lass & forcing her to wed you certainly creates lots of drama.

message 11: by Sue (new)

Sue Erickson | 673 comments I love the Hathaways!!

message 12: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Miller | 2 comments This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper. Definitely family drama. Four grown siblings and their child psychologist mother sit Shiva for their recently passed father.

message 13: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (laswamprat) | 4 comments I don't have a nomination, but this sounds interesting, so I think i'll give it a whirl!

message 14: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments This is Where I Leave You looks perfect for this theme! Excellent!

message 15: by Jenniferk (new)

Jenniferk | 1 comments Tea Rose series- fantastic, full of Family DRAMA!

message 16: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 10 comments I'll nominate Cutting for Stone, but truthfully, I hope it is not chosen because all the other nominations sound great & for the first group read, I could discover a treasure. 8)

message 17: by Leea, Escape Artist (new)

Leea | 1239 comments I'm loving all the nominations, I'm thinking we will close Nominations once we hit 15 nominations. That way Wendy and I can sort thru them, make sure the fall under the 'Family Drama' Theme and then post the poll. Yay!

message 18: by Traci-Lyn (new)

Traci-Lyn Mathisen | 1 comments I don't ever post but read the message board quite a bit but I was thinking The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. I am looking forward to what ever you choose.

message 19: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (peggymib) | 50 comments I also don't post often, but read this group daily. My nomination is The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons. There is tons of family drama, to say the least.

message 20: by Laura (new)

Laura P | 114 comments I don't have a nomination, but I just wanted to say this is a great idea! I love this group and the nominations so far look fantastic - there are several suggestions that are already on my TBR list.

message 21: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 288 comments how about A Great and Terible Beauty...Libba Bray. it's the first in the series....

or The Feast of Roses..Ithink this is the first in the series...

or The Traitor's Emblem...that has a lot of drama in it

message 22: by Leea, Escape Artist (last edited Oct 29, 2011 02:46PM) (new)

Leea | 1239 comments Each member can pick one... which one Catherine? (although, they all look good :) Thanks for nominating a book.

Peggy, you should post more, we would love to hear what you think. Glad you're here :)

message 23: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments Thanks to everyone for popping in and nominating. It's so great to see more action in this awesome group.

message 24: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 288 comments ok...A Great and Terrible Beauty..Libba Bray

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

They look great the above nominations. I would also like to nominate: Katherine, Anya Seton

I have not read it but have heard very good things and seems a likely candidate for the Outlovers arena. Many thanks for your consideration.

message 26: by Susan (new)

Susan (mrsrugie) | 1 comments I nominate "Four Fires" by Bryce Courtenay. This book is a family drama set in rural Australia in the mid-20th century. Truly an enjoyable read.

message 27: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments I love bryce countenay - my only comment would be that his books are ridiculously hard to find in the US because they have never been released over here - with the exception of the Power of One

message 28: by Laura (new)

Laura P | 114 comments How about Catriona. I haven't read it yet, but it looks interesting and I think it would fall under "family drama".

message 29: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments Thanks! As Leea said, we're going to take nominations unti the 8th. Then we're going to make sure all nominations meet the criteria and then we'll post the poll.

We're both really excited about this groups first Group read, so thank you all so much for taking time to stop and nominate.

message 30: by Sue (new)

Sue Erickson | 673 comments Laura I looked up Catriona and it sounds great!

message 31: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette Saunders (thebrat68) | 6 comments I just started rereading Into the Wilderness (Wilderness, #1) by Sara Donati I think this has to be the 10th time I have read this series.

message 32: by Carren (new)

Carren Kay | 953 comments I, too, looked up Catriona and that could be a good read.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Jeanette, I have Into the W... in my TBR pile. So it is that good then? :)

message 34: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments I love the first Into the Wilderness book. It's so awesome.

message 35: by Laura (new)

Laura P | 114 comments so many great nominations...... it will be a hard decision when it comes time to vote!

message 36: by Leea, Escape Artist (new)

Leea | 1239 comments I love the whole Wilderness Series, great books!!

message 37: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette Saunders (thebrat68) | 6 comments Caroline the Into the Wilderness series one of my all time favorites. I have 4 series that I have read a few times over but I think this one is at the top.

message 38: by Frani (new)

Frani | 10 comments I nominate Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. Her series about Jamie and Claire has captivated me so much that I relisten to it almost yearly.

message 39: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments LOL! We all love Outlander! We're rereading that for January though.

Let us know if there's another nomination you'd like instead.

message 40: by Jen (at last!) (new)

Jen (at last!) (jenkeith) | 1052 comments Dream of Me/Believe in Me by Josie Litton by Josie Litton. Viking lords! What more do you need?!

message 41: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (peggymib) | 50 comments Aren't we reading The Scottish Prisoner shortly????

message 42: by Carren (new)

Carren Kay | 953 comments Oooh! Dream of Me could be a good one.

message 43: by Wendy F, biblioholic (last edited Nov 01, 2011 08:41AM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments Peggy wrote: "Aren't we reading The Scottish Prisoner shortly????"

It comes out at the end of November. I know alot of people here don't read the LJG books, so I'm not sure if they're reading it. I did start a folder for that book that people who are reading it can go in and chat about it. (I'm reading it!)

message 44: by Jen (at last!) (new)

Jen (at last!) (jenkeith) | 1052 comments Carren wrote: "Oooh! Dream of Me could be a good one."

I know! I seriously love that book!

message 45: by Jen (at last!) (new)

Jen (at last!) (jenkeith) | 1052 comments Wendy F wrote: "Peggy wrote: "Aren't we reading The Scottish Prisoner shortly????"

It comes out at the end of November. I know alot of people here don't read the LJG books, so I'm not sure if they're reading i..."

I'm sure even those who don't read LJG books will read this for JAMIE! :)

message 46: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments LOL! Thats exactly why I'm reading it. I do remember a few saying they probably wouldn't.

message 47: by Jen (at last!) (new)

Jen (at last!) (jenkeith) | 1052 comments Wendy F wrote: "LOL! Thats exactly why I'm reading it. I do remember a few saying they probably wouldn't."

Well, I'll be reading it for that reason. Any Jamie tidbit I can get I'm all over it! :)

message 48: by Leea, Escape Artist (new)

Leea | 1239 comments Okay, at this point we have a lot of books to choose from... I will take 2 more nominations and then we will close and then start voting.

Thank you all for voting and making this a great first group read.

message 49: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 957 comments Lots of great recommendations! I'll add one more... London The Novel by Edward Rutherfurd

message 50: by Wendy F, biblioholic (last edited Nov 02, 2011 08:59AM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments I'll close out the nominations with Nora Roberts Montana Sky by Nora Roberts .

« previous 1 3 4
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.