Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book Cover Help > Missing Cover Art

Comments Showing 1-50 of 178 (178 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 2: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments Someone got this.

message 5: by Iluzija (new)

Iluzija O. Istini | 241 comments Someone fixed it but didn't say they did.

message 9: by Iluzija (new)

Iluzija O. Istini | 241 comments 8 :)

message 10: by Iluzija (new)

Iluzija O. Istini | 241 comments and 6, too. someone else did 7.

message 11: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 24797 comments No wonder I was having trouble doing 6 & 8. I did 7 ;)

message 12: by Iluzija (new)

Iluzija O. Istini | 241 comments high five!! ;)

message 13: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 24797 comments right back attcha ;)

message 14: by Peter (new)

Peter (pete_c) | 388 comments Chief Tallon and the S.O.R. by John Dudley Ball Chief Tallon and the S.O.R.
uses the same cover art as
Chief Tallon and the S.O.R. by John Dudley Ball Chief Tallon and the S.O.R.

Please update when convenient.

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 2443 comments fixed 14

message 17: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments Got 16

message 18: by Peter (new)

Peter (pete_c) | 388 comments Tales of obsession Mystery Stories of Fatal Attractions and Deadly Desires by P.D. James Tales of obsession: Mystery Stories of Fatal Attractions and Deadly Desires uses cover art located at http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61JGinjieJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Note:
Author information does not match title page. From title page:
Edited by Cynthia Manson
The other authors whose stories are in this anthology are (from cover)
P. D. James
Ruth Rendell
Joan Hess
Evan Hunter
Patricia Highsmith
(and, from table of contents)
Nancy Pickard
Larry S. Hoke
Cornell Woolrich
David Justice
Ralph McInerny
Lawrence Treat
Robert Barnard
Henry Slesar
Stanley Ellin

If we are going with authors only from the title page, we should only include "Cynthia Manson (Editor)" otherwise, we should include either the editor plus those authors from the title page or the editor plus those authors from the contents pages. These authors should be marked as "(Contributor)".

message 19: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43620 comments Mod
Done.

(The order-shuffling bug on secondary authors struck. Anyone wanting to fix the order has my blessing; I don't think it matters enough to make myself crazy.)

message 20: by Beatriz (new)

Beatriz Chavarri (beucha) | 9 comments Hello. How are you guys?

I want to edit the over of this book: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12.... The correct one is this: http://cache.smashwire.com/bookCovers...

Btw, I want to learn how I can edit pictures and data. I already have more than 50 books in my shelves but I couldn't edit anything yet.

message 21: by Peter (new)

Peter (pete_c) | 388 comments Beatriz wrote: "Hello. How are you guys?

I want to edit the over of this book: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12.... The correct one is this: http://cache.smashwire.com/bookCovers......"

If you have not yet become a librarian, you can always ask here for it to be done. Books you add can have their covers uploaded when you create the book using the Add a cover image for this book. on the upper right of the Edit Book page. Just fill in the location (on your computer) of the cover image, and it will upload with the other data from the form.

BTW, I've got this one.

message 22: by Beatriz (new)

Beatriz Chavarri (beucha) | 9 comments Thanks a lot Peter! And that short story is pretty good, don't you think?

Well... how can I apply to be a librarian? I really want to.

Thank you so much!

message 23: by Peter (new)

Peter (pete_c) | 388 comments Beatriz wrote: "Well... how can I apply to be a librarian? I really want to."

At the top of the Librarians Group page, you will find this link:

For tips on being a librarian, check out the librarian manual.

This leads you to a page of links. Follow this one: How to become a librarian

You will find all the information you need/want there.

message 24: by Ted (new)

Ted (theokritos) | 3 comments Conan by Robert E. Howard Conan needs a cover.

iBooks shows the cover at http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/conan...

Amazon show the cover for its Kindle edition at http://www.amazon.com/Conan-Barbarian...

Thank you.

message 25: by Peter (new)

Peter (pete_c) | 388 comments Got it

message 26: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Kline | 3 comments My cover art is suddenly missing, it was there yesterday.

Lazarus Cane by Jeremy Kline

http://www.amazon.com/Lazarus-Cane-Je...

Thanks you!

message 27: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (drokka) Unfortunately, we are no longer unable to use data from Amazon or its affiliates anymore. Would you have another source for the cover?

The reason some of the covers are gone is because of the fact that they are from Amazon. They will be uploading covers from other sources over the next week, but for the moment they have to unload all the Amazon data.

Petra is in abeyance on hiatus, just not here much (petra-x) Jeremy wrote: "My cover art is suddenly missing, it was there yesterday.

Thanks you!"

I've added the cover. I got it from Ingram, so I expect it would have turned up some time this week anyway.

message 29: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Kline | 3 comments You're quick! Thanks

message 30: by Beatriz (new)

Beatriz Chavarri (beucha) | 9 comments Jeremy wrote: "My cover art is suddenly missing, it was there yesterday.

Thanks you!"

Done! :)

message 31: by S.L. (new)

S.L. Pierce (slpierce) | 3 comments All of my covers are suddenly missing! What should I do?

message 32: by Peter (new)

Peter (pete_c) | 388 comments S.L. wrote: "All of my covers are suddenly missing! What should I do?"

All cover art sourced by Amazon is being removed from GR.

If you can re-import it from a site not affiliated with Amazon, Great.

If you can scan it and import it that way, also Great!

Otherwise, our fearless IT Team is/will be running bulk imports from other good locations, so it may reappear on its own.

message 33: by S.L. (new)

S.L. Pierce (slpierce) | 3 comments Can you direct me to where I import? I've never found that. Can I import from Smashwords or B&N?

message 34: by S.L. (new)

S.L. Pierce (slpierce) | 3 comments And thanks for the fast response.

message 35: by Sara (new)

Sara | 54 comments Well i have been having the same problem.

I added several books manually (i find this the most reliable option) and some of the covers that i added vanished i added the same cover three times to the same book and vanishes all the same. I added it once more yesterday up until now its ok, but this is very annoying.

message 36: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks S.L. wrote: "Can you direct me to where I import? I've never found that. Can I import from Smashwords or B&N?"

I would not import any cover art from any site that sells books, so in my opinion, Barnes & Noble is as much out of the question as Amazon. People have been saying that the best place from which to import cover art would be from the book's publisher's website or from authors' websites. Commercial websites, such as Amazon, Barnes & Noble, ABE Books and the like are not acceptable.

message 37: by Mike (new)

Mike  Davis (mldavis2) | 6 comments I hate to be a wise-guy, but don't publishers sell books, too? And where can you possibly find any source of cover images other than book sellers - unless you scan every book cover in yourself and upload it? In short, there are NO non-commercial sites that did not obtain the original image from a commercial site, even libraries, except for book owner scans of the book itself.

message 38: by Manybooks (last edited Jan 31, 2012 04:50AM) (new)

Manybooks Mike wrote: "I hate to be a wise-guy, but don't publishers sell books, too? And where can you possibly find any source of cover images other than book sellers - unless you scan every book cover in yourself and..."

Well, if it's that much of a problem, legally speaking, maybe we should just have no cover art at all. I am not being facetious (I generally find most book covers visually distracting from the text). And I was just repeating what some of the GR staff were saying. I guess people who own books can scan in their images (if they have a scanner), but for to-read books and books that one does not own, where do you find book covers that are not going to be a legal problem, a copyright infringement? And GR certainly does not want to anatgonise Amazon too much at the moment; Amazon is likely just waiting to find information/images they consider their copyright, so they can pounce.

message 39: by Lindajean (new)

Lindajean  (lindajeanb) | 6 comments Author's websites are not commercial websites unless the book is self-published.

message 40: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks I guess with publishers' websites, the best bet would be to check with them wether they allow for book cover images to be uploaded and downloaded before one tries this. And it's likely better to check with each publisher's website one is considering using; they might have different opinions and/or rules.

message 41: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7029 comments rivka has indicated in another thread that publishers who sell the book are fine to obtain data from, its the pure book sellers who are not

message 42: by Mike (new)

Mike  Davis (mldavis2) | 6 comments It is my understanding that Amazon has NO cover images that would be copyrighted because the cover images come from the publishers or authors. My suggestion elsewhere is to find the image you want, download it to your computer and rename it appropriately, then upload it to GR. I'm sure authors and publishers would have no objection to the free advertising, and Amazon would have no claim to copyright of someone else's artwork. If you own the book, you own a copy of the cover image.

message 43: by Manybooks (last edited Jan 31, 2012 05:39AM) (new)

Manybooks Mike wrote: "It is my understanding that Amazon has NO cover images that would be copyrighted because the cover images come from the publishers or authors. My suggestion elsewhere is to find the image you want..."

The problem is if Amazon thinks they own the images, they will likely pounce and they will likely not go after simply the individual who might have downloaded an image from their website, but GR as an entity as well (and Amazon has a lot more clout than GR).

I think Goodreads needs to publicly state on its website that Amazon and any other commercial books selling sites are off absolutely and completely limits for downloading, using data.

You might say Amazon has no claim, but even if that is true, they will still likely sue if they think any cover images on GR have been downloaded from them. I don't know how Goodreads will deal with people who do try to download from Amazon, but I think in the long run, downloading from Amazon should be considered an absolute no-no because it leaves Goodreads open to potential legal issues (even if they are in the right, they cannot afford to move against Amazon). So anyone who downloads from Amazon after this, is really putting GR into a potentially terrible position.

message 44: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 206 comments Please correct the missing cover art for:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/45...

Thanks, Jon

message 45: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9 comments Gundula wrote: "You might say Amazon has no claim, but even if that is true, they will still likely sue if they think any cover images on GR have been downloaded from them."

I've been doing one of two things. If the cover art is the same as a different edition that's already on GR, I download the large version of the cover and add it to the one that's missing the cover art. For other cases, Google Image search is your friend. I've been specifically avoiding Amazon as a source and trying to stick to author or book publishers, but that's often hard. For instance, Brilliance Audio (who publish a lot of audiobooks) doesn't really put their catalogue on-line, but they have re-sellers. In that case, the re-sellers are one of the main sources of the audiobook covers.

message 46: by Peter (new)

Peter (pete_c) | 388 comments Gundula wrote: "Mike wrote: "It is my understanding that Amazon has NO cover images that would be copyrighted because the cover images come from the publishers or authors. My suggestion elsewhere is to find the ..."

Depending on the State Amazon might file in, GR's lawyers could always counter-sue for Malicious Prosecution and/or bring a motion against them for Filing a Frivolous Lawsuit. I know in NY this would be more than sufficient - Amazon would have "shot themselves in the foot."

message 47: by Peter (new)

Peter (pete_c) | 388 comments Mike wrote: "It is my understanding that Amazon has NO cover images that would be copyrighted because the cover images come from the publishers or authors. My suggestion elsewhere is to find the image you want..."

Mike,

An artist can copyright an image, as can a photographer. If they are just importing scans and not doing their own, they would not own the image; however, if they (or a service they hire) do a custom scan that is somehow different from the publisher-provided stock image, they could claim ownership of their rendition of the book's image.

message 48: by Manybooks (last edited Jan 31, 2012 10:30AM) (new)

Manybooks Tim wrote: "Gundula wrote: "You might say Amazon has no claim, but even if that is true, they will still likely sue if they think any cover images on GR have been downloaded from them."

I've been doing one o..."

Thanks Tim. I will try that. Ha, you know from university what a technical zero I am (I was just happy I was able to rescue so many German books, it's just too bad that the German National Library does store not covers of the books on their website).

message 49: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9 comments Gundula wrote: "Thanks Tim. I will try that. Ha, you know from university what a technical zero I am (I was just happy I was able to rescue so many German books, it's just too bad that the German National Library does store not covers of the books on their website). "

I just got librarian status yesterday and I've been fixing up some of my book covers (and adding books/book editions). I was happy to help you in university and I'm happy to help you now, so if you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

message 50: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Tim wrote: "Gundula wrote: "Thanks Tim. I will try that. Ha, you know from university what a technical zero I am (I was just happy I was able to rescue so many German books, it's just too bad that the German N..."

I will definitely do that. I spent ages rescuing books last week and I guess I do need to find cover images for those, but I think I'm going to take a few days off first (and wait if GR imports any German cover images). Thanks, I will definitely contact you!!

« previous 1 3 4
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.