M.C. Beaton Fan Club discussion

Hyacinth vs. Agatha

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aka (new)

Aka | 37 comments Do you see any smilarities between Agatha Raisin and Hyacinth Bucket from "Keeping up Appearnces". I do. Of course Agatha isn't so perfect and she doesn't love tyding too much but their characters are a little alike.

message 2: by Malia (new)

Malia (calypso007) I could see that. But I actually hope they don't turn it into a movie, I think we would just be disappointed...unless we got to do the casting:)

message 3: by Denise (new)

Denise (drbetteridge) Aka wrote: "Do you see any smilarities between Agatha Raisin and Hyacinth Bucket from "Keeping up Appearnces". I do. Of course Agatha isn't so perfect and she doesn't love tyding too much but their characters..."

I was thinking just that as I read my first one.

message 4: by Aka (new)

Aka | 37 comments Which woman do you prefer?

message 5: by Denise (new)

Denise (drbetteridge) I'm liking Agatha Raisin! She's a bit more palatable. Hyacinth has too many relations to bully. :)

message 6: by VeronicaS (new)

VeronicaS (complicatedreamer) I never thought about that. I suppose they are both a bit of a bully, but Agatha's insecurities are all there to read about and Hyacinth's aren't. I think that makes Agatha much more likeable.

message 7: by Lori (new)

Lori | 2 comments I love that show! Even tho' I can see some similarities in both women I think Agatha is so much more likable. Hyacinth is funny because she has so many blind spots. Agatha is so much more clever but now that I think of it her blind spot is that she is so insecure she doesn't realize she is a bully. She thinks she's such a confident, assertive person but really she needs her friends to help her stay positive.

message 8: by Lori (new)

Lori | 2 comments Is anyone still active in this group? I noticed the most recent date is 2013. I love the Agatha Raisin series so much I'm reading through the books a second time. Anyone have any suggestions on other humorous mystery series out there? I'm currently trying Laura Lippman and Donna Andrews. So far I don't think they come close to the Agatha Raisin series. I DO love the Hamish MacBeth series as well!

message 9: by Aka (new)

Aka | 37 comments There are a lot of cozy mysteries.
http://www.cozy-mystery.com/cozy-myst...
http://www.stopyourekillingme.com/Job...
You can find there so many titles. :-)

Have you seen this film?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4jlA...

message 10: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Helmendach | 7 comments Lori - it is only this topic of "Hyacinth vs. Agatha" that has not had a post since 2013. There have been posts in the topic "agatha Raisin books" more recently. Both of these topics along with others are under the M.C. Beaton Fan Club discussion.

Have you read any Alexander McCall Smith? Especially the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series? He writes very differently than M.C. Beaton, but the books are very enjoyable and have a lot of humor like the Raisin and Macbeth books.

message 11: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Helmendach | 7 comments Aka - thanks so much for posting those links for the mystery websites! Very helpful.

message 12: by Barbara (sbear) (new)

Barbara  (sbear) | 6 comments I'd like to thank Aka too, for the links! Stop you're killing me is a wealth of information on themes and authors. Thanks so much!

message 14: by Aka (new)

message 15: by Kam (new)

Kam | 2 comments I've been watching the series, the casting is quite different to the books, and not sure I agree with all of them. Especially Mrs Bloxby! Be interesting to see what others think. :)

message 16: by Gale (new)

Gale | 17 comments Mod
Another series that reminds me a little of M.C. Beaton is the Weaver series by Sheri Cobb South

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Booth (boothacus) Kam, I thought the TV Mrs. Bloxby was relatively close as well as Bill Wong but TV Agatha seems quite different than the one in my head. What is it that is off for you with TV Mrs. Bloxby? It’s funny how our mind paints such specific pictures. I remember when they animated Garfield eons ago and the voice they used was so opposite of what I heard in my head I couldn’t watch it. I love the book Mrs. Bloxby and that she and Agatha are so close! What actress would be closer?

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Booth (boothacus) I think Hyacinth has different motivations than Agatha. I felt Hyacinth was about keeping up with the Jones while Agatha needed to prove things to herself more. She wanted to show that she can do it and that she’s just as good as anyone else and Hyacinth wants to show she’s better. Or at least that is my take on it. I like Agatha much more.

message 19: by Kam (new)

Kam | 2 comments Hi Sara, in my head Mrs Bloxbey was a much older gentle type of lady, I pictured her with greyish hair...I suppose someone like a slightly younger Phillida Law. I also always thought the actress Zoe Wanamaker would make a great Agatha..😊

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Booth (boothacus) Kam,

I can kind of see Zoey Wanamaker now that you mention it. I can even see what you mean about Mrs. Bloxby, too.
I first listened to an Agatha Raisin book with Penelope Keith reading it and I’m afraid it quite colored how I see her. Especially since she does Agatha’s frequently abrasive manner quite well. The description of Agatha being attractive and sexy without knowing it but with “bear like eyes” has always made it hard to picture for me. I definitely think the actress they picked for Aggie is a bit too pretty in the conventional sense, though a good actress. It would be quite hard to portray her I’d think. One would need to be quite brusque, but have that certain kind heart and longing underneath. It would be interesting to see who Beaton sees as Agatha in her head or in an actress.