2012 - Ms. Richardson L.A. discussion

Scarlet Ibis as a Symbol

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (last edited Oct 28, 2011 11:35AM) (new)

Rebecca | 7 comments Mod
In the short story, The Scarlet Ibis, the ibis is a symbol for Doodle. Infer how the ibis acts as a symbol. In your response remember to bring in explicit moments from the text to support your thinking. Also, remember to bring in your own logic and reasoning. I can't wait to read your responses. (Due date: Tuesday, Nov. 1st)

message 2: by Parker (new)

Parker Winchester | 8 comments I think that the Ibis has many ways of symbolizing Doodle in the story the Scarlet Ibis. But I think that the most important and prominent idea of symbolism in the story is the fact that Doodle was born into a environment that he wasn't necessarily meant to thrive in. Doodle was supposed to die in his first few weeks of life, as it states in the text, but he defies all odds. He lives six years and accomplishes many things the doctors never said a boy of his condition could overcome. I think in a way this shows Doodle's symbolism towards the Ibis because the Ibis was also not supposed to be able to thrive in such an environment. The Ibis is from Florida and has an exotic beauty that is "different," just as Doodle is "different". It was a miracle that the Ibis survived in the living conditions it wasn't used to, and the fact that it died under the family's tree, and Doodle took such compassion towards the bird shows the deeper meaning and relationship between the Ibis and Doodle.

---Sorry I didn't know if this is where we were supposed to post?....

message 3: by Janelle (new)

Janelle Jacobs | 7 comments Doodle and the Scarlet Ibis, in the story the Scarlet Ibis symbolize each other in many ways. Doodle was a "different" baby that was born into a family not expecting his uniqueness. When Doodle was born into this family, they stayed far away from him because of the way he looked, and they didn't even have the empathy and compassion to name him. The Scarlet Ibis symbolizes Doodle because of its exoticness and rarity. When the family first saw the uncommon bright red bird, the mother yelled "Don't you dare go near that thing. There's no telling what kind of disease it might have." Similiar to Doodle, the family stayed far away from him, judging him at first sight. The Ibis symbolizes Doodle becasue of it's idividuality and strength to live. They are two very different creatures but at the same time share an incredible and symbolic relationship.

message 4: by Eden (new)

Eden Brush | 8 comments The Scarlet Ibis symbolizes Doodle in many ways. I think that the most salient sense of symbolism in the story would probably be the idea of Doodle shortly florishing in an environment that was misfit for his strength and needs. From the moment when Doodle came into being, he was obviously 'different' from the average child. As explicitly shown in the text, Doodle was not supposed to live very long at all, nor achieve much greatness. Although Doodle did face many hardships, his prevailing love of life made all the difference. Likewise, the Scarlet Ibis was not suited to thrive in the environment where it seeked shelter. In fact, the Ibis was originally from Florida, as shown in the text, and traveled a far distance. Doodle's strange nature and doggedness much related to the Ibis's by the fact that they both came a long way, overcoming many trials, yet in the end, they both could not endure the battle of existence.

message 5: by Cornelia (new)

Cornelia  Jones | 6 comments The scarlet ibis is a symbol for doodle in how they are both exotically beautiful which make them out of the place to the people and things around them. In this story, they both had forces or in doodles case, the narrator, pushing them away from the strangeness of their nature to what they think is not only normal, but essentials needed to do their best. People try to change you I know from my personal experience, but if you keep your own "exotic strangeness" then you wont loose yourself in place of another.

message 6: by Ashlon (new)

Ashlon Wright | 9 comments The Scarlet Ibis is a symbol for doodle in the way that Doodle and the scarlet ibis were both very different and in some way not supposed to be in the environment. The bird looked like it was supposed to belong somewhere else like South America and it was very rare to be in the climate Doodle and his family lived in. Doodle was born with a call on his head and the doctors had told his parents that Doodle would not live long the cause being because of the call on his head. It was very rare to see a bird of such species and to see Doodle who was born with a birth defect still living and with such passion. The scarlet ibis and Doodle were very much alike when it came to how things were and how things were supposed to be.

message 7: by Genny (new)

Genny G | 8 comments The scarlet Ibis is a symbol for doodle in mant ways. They both traveled so far to come all this way. They both struggled to try to achieve their accomplishments. The scarlet ibis was form the tropics and has exotic beauty. Everyone thought that doodle was going to die but he learned to do things like normal kids. He is very fragile to. They both achieved so much and struggled but were really amazing. This is how i think they are symbols of each other.

message 8: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Burt | 8 comments The scarlet Ibis is a symbol for doodle in this way. Both the scarlet ibis and doodle seemed like they were from a different world, and they didn't belong where they were. The story tells the reader that the bird is from a long way away when it is talking about how the storm must have pushed the bird to where they are now. Both the scarlet ibis and Doodle had so much potiential but werent in the right place to become great. Both fought hard in their lives, like the bird must have tried had flown a long way and it must have been hard but didn't give up, and Doodle, people said he would never be able to walk but after working hard he was able to. That is how I think Doodle and the scarlet ibis sybolise eachother.

message 9: by Lilibeth (new)

Lilibeth Ceja | 7 comments The scarlet Ibis is a symbol for doodle because of how both the bird and doodle are both out of place where they are.The scarlet ibis is an exotic bird from far in the tropics. Doodle travels a long way just to die in the end. When everyone see's the bird they notice that it is sick and even though it is sick that doesn't affect the way its posture is. doodle when everyone first saw him they thought that he would die because of how he looked and how he was born. However being different didn't stop doodle from trying many things. Doodle is like a version of hope when he starts to do things like other boys. The thing that noone payed much attention to especially his brother was that they had to be careful of how they treated doodle because he was fagile. The scarlet ibis represented how doodle being different was just as okay as being in the wrong place as long as you have help from someone to help or support you, which is the one thing that killed doodle because he lost his brother's support and caringness.

message 10: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Williams | 7 comments The scarlet Ibis symbioses Doodles disability and being out of place and different, but it also represents the beauty in doodle.The scarlet Ibis is from south america and its so out of place in this new land it has entered, doodle Is very different then must kids and out of place in his environment. The scarlet Ibis is week and has a limp but still remains graceful and lovely. Doodle is week and is disabled but still has such a beautiful soul and personality.

message 11: by Brigham (last edited Oct 31, 2011 07:41PM) (new)

Brigham | 7 comments The Scarlet Ibis is a symbol for Doodle because they both are exotic and differet they are like freaks of nature. Doodle was born with a caul on his head and ended up living. It seemed like he wasn't supposed to be born, but it happened anyway. The Scarlet Ibis is a tropical bird for thousands of miles away and ends up on Doodles farm. The Scarlet Ibis wasn't really made to end up in a tree on a random farm, but it happened anyway. They both died, they both struggled to survive and to keep living, and sadly they both died. Many people use symbols in our world today and the Scarlet Ibis is one of the many examples of how we can live a life of hard work do our best even if the outcome is not what we wanted.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Sheffield | 9 comments The Scarlet Ibis symbolizes Doodle's life in many ways. I believe the most admissible way that the Scarlet Ibis symbolizes Doodle would be the bird had flown so many miles. It had conquered conditions beyond belief, defying what mankind thought was possible. The bird was not meant to live in the conditions that it had flown to. But it had survived, and had made it outside it's own comfort zone. For Doodle, he had come so many miles. He had worked so hard to strengthen his body and to try and overcome his disability. He too had defied what was judged to be "possible" or "realistic". The story reads itself":"Sadly, we all looked at the bird. How many miles had it traveled to die like this, in our yard, beneath the bleeding tree?" Both Doodle and the Scarlet Ibis had come many miles from their original home, or state. They had worked so hard, and died under "bleeding trees", out of their element. Despite the tragedy of them both dying after such accomplishment, I believe anyone could look back on their lives and conclude that they both had come many miles and had overcome much trial and tribulation to try and defy the possible.

message 13: by Emma (new)

Emma Smid | 9 comments The Scarlet Ibis smybolizes Doodle in ways you dont pick up on right away. The first one I discovered was, how the bird was very exotic and didnt belong. Doodle had overcome what no one thought he could, in the beginnig no one touched Doodle, they didnt even bother to give him a name. The bird also wasnt afraid when the family got near. This is like Doodle because he isnt afriad to face life, he embraces his diability with pride instead of embarrassment. When his brother whould pull the go-cart fast around the corner, the go-cart would tip and Doodle wouldnt cry or get mad, he just got up and back in and kept going. He also didnt give up trying after falling down when trying to walk, he just kept trying because he wanted to impress his family. They both had come so far just to die under the bleeding tree.

message 14: by Paris (last edited Nov 09, 2011 01:25PM) (new)

Paris Kralik | 7 comments In the short story, The Scarlet Ibis, the ibis is a symbol for Doodle, because of how the bird is rear/beautiful but he is physically weak. Since the day Doodle was born he was weak. It explicitly stated "Doodle from the start a disappointment." To me this quote discribes Doodles beauty," A thing of beauty is a joy forever: its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness," John Keats. Not only was he beautiful but he was also rear. Personally i don't know anyone like Doodle, which to me makes him very rear. I know that in the book you can tell the Doodle is physically weak. Explicitly it stated, "Daddy built him a cart and I had to pull him around." When comparing the two elegant creatures the main thing that is pointed out to me is that Doodle/Scarlet Ibis both are beautiful,rear, and physically weak creatures. At the end of the story they both died due to pushing themselves to limit. In my judgement that is why i think the Scarlet Ibis is a symbol for Doodle.

message 15: by Brooke (new)

Brooke Boren | 8 comments The Scarelt Ibis is a symbol of Doodle, because they are both exotic to the people surrounding them. The Scarlet Ibis was a bird that nobody had seen before and nobody knew how to help or treat this bird. It is the same way for Doodle he came into this world being something different and people weren't sure how help him. Both the bird and Doodle were not expected to live long, they both strived and worked hard to get to where they ended up. The Scarlet Ibis is also a symbol for Doodle because the family would admire from a distance, but didn't want to get too close.

message 16: by Sadie (new)

Sadie Olson | 8 comments The Scarlet Ibis sympblizes doodle in many ways, one being in that they both have their own strageness, or uniqueness, in what helps them become an exoctic price of their environment. When the family heard the strange, unheard of, noise from the yard, then placed their eyes upon the abnormally weird bird, the first thing that came to their minds was how much this bird did not belong in the place that it had forced to become apart of. Doodle had that same experience in that when he entered this cruel world in his strange, nearly unheard of, form, everyone could only focus on how different he would be from the rest of his surrounding peers. In both cases,they were under estimated and doubted upon, yet showed their beauty in their unique ways, then shortly after died their deaths in which the environments forced upon them.

message 17: by Mitchell (new)

Mitchell | 5 comments In the story, the ibis symbolizes Doodle in that they are both out of place, and die because of it. The bird was blown into their yard from a tropical storm, and the family was awed at its beauty before it overexerted itself trying to fly away. Doodle had some sort of medical condition, and the family was awed at his tenaciousness before he died because he overexerted himself trying to keep up with his brother. These parallels are enough to explain why this is symbolism.

message 18: by Justin (new)

Justin | 7 comments I think the Scarlet Ibis is a symbol to Doodle because they both are out of place in a way. Doodle is out of place because many questioned that he should even be alive and that he was supposed to die. The Scarlet Ibis was out if place because the bird had gotten caught in the hurricane in the story which transported the bird to an enviroment in which he doesn't belong.

message 19: by Jesse (new)

Jesse (jessereed) | 3 comments In the scarlet ibis there are many different symbols with the scarlet ibis and doodle. The one symbol that stood out most to me was that the bridge ended up in the totally wrong place and was an exotic creature to the area he ended up in. That is the same with Doodle, he was very different from his family and any other human. He felt like he didnt belong where he was. He was almost like an exotic creature too. The bird flew so far to get where he ended up. Doodle was born differently and his brother feels like he doesn't belong and shouldn't be here. This example for symbolism was the one I saw the most symbolism in.

message 20: by Byron (new)

Byron Melville | 5 comments I think the the Scarlet Ibis is a symbol for doodle for many reasons. First, just like Doodle, the Scarlet Ibis was a strange thing to be able to see . Another reason is because when the Scarlet Ibis fell out of the tree, it foreshadowed the coming death of Doodle. Thirdly, the Ibis' red. or 'scarlet', coloring was there to symbolize the color of Doodles blood on his shirt. The reason i believe that the Scarlet Ibis was in the story to symbolize Doodle, and not just a fluke, is because of how close together the death of Doodle and the death of the Scarlet Ibis were. That is why I think that the Scarlet Ibis is a symbol for Doodle.

message 21: by Nate (new)

Nate Leishman | 10 comments The scarlet ibis is an exotic, rare creature, much like Doodle. They are both different from their surroundings in many ways. The worlds what they live in are unforgiving and harsh toasted them, killing both of the in the end. They were both beautiful in their own ways but their beauty is never truly realized. No one around them understands how exotic and wonderful that they are until they are gone. And so that is how that the scarlet ibis represents doodle and their exoticness

message 22: by Jen (new)

Jen G | 5 comments The Scarlet Ibis represents Doodle exactly how he should be represented. The Scarlet Ibis was unique and rare small and fragile and is only one {all alone} just like Doodle. The Scarlet Ibis was in a foreign area in a world in which they live for some time but then end up not surviving. They also doubt on The Scarlet Ibis surviving with Doodle all of his family thinks he'll die. Also The Scarlet Ibis is red and dies in red Doodle dies red.

message 23: by Abdi (new)

Abdi Bwanadi | 2 comments The story has been described as "rich in symbolism". The Scarlet Ibis is the main symbol in this book, as is the color red."The Scarlet Ibis" is the story of a boy, Brother, who accidentally contributes to the death of his younger brother, Doodle. Brother tells the story in the past tense, and explicitly states that it's a memory of something that happened in his past. Memories of his time with Doodle are sometimes sweet, and sometimes excruciatingly painful, at least for the reader. We hold Brother's hand on his perilous trek down memory lane. At times we think he's driving himself mad with memory. That he lives in the past, ruled by mistakes he can't change. On a happier note, we also explore the possibility that memory can be used to understand and cope with the moments in our life that hurt, but that that we don't ever want to forget."The Scarlet Ibis" is a grim story, but it comes from a place of love, and kindness. Brother and Doodle, the two brothers who star in this story, have a loving mother, father, and aunt. Their home in North Carolina is a fantasy paradise for kids. Doodle, the younger brother, was born with a heart condition, and has physical limitations, especially when compared with his super-athletic older brother

message 24: by Clarissa (new)

Clarissa Lawrence | 9 comments In the story the Scarlet Ibis there is multiple times when the author uses symbolism. The Scarlet Ibis was a unique and unwanted animal, and so was doodle. Nobody wanted to be around doodle because he was so different, and they were too afraid to take the chance of getting to know him for who he was other than what they thought. Both Doodle and the scarlet ibis were in an environment they couldn't exactly be accepted in, but they both overcame it and tried there hardest and that shows a lot of strength and doggedness in the both of them.

message 25: by Connor (new)

Connor Van Leeuwen | 6 comments In the story the Scarlet Ibis there is multiple times when the author uses symbolism. The scarlet ibis was an animal that was exotic and rare and so was Doodle. The family did not except Doodle because he was differant, the Scarlet Ibis and Doodle both were in a place were they did not belong. They both tried as hard as they could to fit in and that shows alot of strength.

message 26: by Jocelyn (new)

Jocelyn | 2 comments The Scarlet Ibis and Doodle have various similarities. The bird has exhausted itself to death to get where it is. As so does Doodle. They have physical weaknesses such as thin legs. They both exist in a world in which they lack in survival. The bird is us to the tropics and does not belong where he is, and Doodle cannot live up to his brother's expectations, of what a brother should be. Also the death of Doodle and the Scarlet Ibis have much in commen.They both are red after death. The bird is already red, and Doodle bleeds, until his shirt is covered with blood. Both die under a red plant. For these reasons, the Scarlet Ibis is a symbol for Doodle.

message 27: by Jordan (new)

Jordan | 5 comments In the story the scarlet ibis is a symbol for the main character Doodle. Like the ibis. Doodle is a very different and unique. Bothe Doodle and the ibis have also traveled a very far way, Doodle in the sense that he wasn't suppose to live and the Ibis coming from along distance. I imagine that the both have gone threw a awful lot physically and mental to get them where they had come to only to die. In the story both of there deaths are yet unexpected at the moment and somehow graceful. In the end they both die red of blood and of natural color coming to lie peaceful with both there heads crooked to the side.

message 28: by Thabo (new)

Thabo Wright | 5 comments In the story The Scarlet Ibis, Doodle and the Ibis strongly symbolize eachother in many ways.The family wasn't sure what to do with Doodle because he wasn't supposed to live very long so they didnt want to grow a bond with him and that is the same response they reflected on the ibis when the saw it.The Ibis was far from his home and that is why they were so shocked, They are both very unique and different which makes them who they are. After trying so hard to reach it's destination the Ibis was so tired and worn out he collapsed and when Doodle was trying his hardest to keep up he collapsed as well. As you can see they're many times when these two act the same and respond the same, that is why i think they have a strong symbolic connection in this story.

message 29: by Sydney (new)

Sydney Leavitt | 7 comments when we first meet Doodle we see him as a poor, red, sad baby. They thought he was going to die. ALso, when we meet the scarlet Ibis, we see him as a poor unfortunate soul. They both appear that they are hopeless, but their spirits shine on others souls.
In the story, the mother tells Doodle not to touch the bird, Doodle was also classified as untouchable at his birth. The family didn't want to become attached to Doodle because they knew he was going to die, Doodle was told not to go close to the bird and not to touch it, as if they didn't want him to become attached to it.
The Scarlet Ibis is an exotic bird, when they look it up in the Bird Book they see the bird is from Florida which is fair away from their home. To me this is like how the family thought Doodle was very out of place. The boy often asked himself; why did he has to come to our family? They both were beautiful creatures that where sent certain places for a certain purpose.
They also say how the Scarlet Ibis flew a very long way just to die, this reminds me of Doodle's hard work to become like his brother. Both Doodle and the Scarlet Ibis got to a certain stage in there life where they we comfortable to die. As if they were content with who they were and what they had accomplished, so their mission was done.

message 30: by Fernando (new)

Fernando Tepox | 7 comments The Scarlet Ibis is a symbol of Doodle in many ways. When we first met Doodle the doctoer said that it would be a miracle if Doodle lived because of all the problems he had when he was born. This brings me back to the Ibis that they saw, when the parents saw the Ibis and saw that he wasn't suppose to be here because he belonged in tropic weather and said that it was going to die. This relates to Doodle because he was strange and no one thought that he was going to live, then there was a huge connection between the Ibis and Doodle when he went up to touch it, I had this feeling in my gut that was extraordinary. Because the author made a incredible job in showing that the Ibis was Doodle.

message 31: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Ely | 7 comments The Ibis is an elegant and artful representation of Doodle in the short story, The Scarlet Ibis, in many subtle ways. When the bird first arrives on the scene, everybody can't keep their eyes off it, marveling at it's exotic and strange beauty, very much like the birth of doodle. The Ibis had traveled many miles to their backyard, only to cripple and die, just short of it's true potential. Doodle, as well, travels far in life, overcoming countless obstacles, only to die in his pitiful disabled state, his true potential being drowned by the endless sheets of rain.

message 32: by Ethan (new)

Ethan Bennett | 6 comments The Ibis clearly represents Doodle in alot of ways.The most prominent wayis probably the way the family reacted when they met both of them. When Doodle was first born the family kind of ignored and purposely tried to keep there distance from, because he was not supposed to live long so they stayed away so the y wouldnt grow attached then be heartbroken when he died. Also with the bird when they first heard it they thought it was a weird creature and there mom told them not to go near it because it could have hundreds of diseases.

message 33: by Sydney (last edited Nov 17, 2011 06:05PM) (new)

Sydney (MomoiroKoneko) | 3 comments The Scarlet Ibis is a rare, misunderstood, foreign, and short-lived treasure, these qualities make it the perfect symbol for Doodle, because of the way he displays similar qualities throughout the story. Doodle is a constant provider of disappointment for the protagonist, his older brother, who can't accept the fact that Doodle is different from everyone else. Instead of trying to see all of the amazing aspects of Doodle, the protagonist pushes him to become something that he can't to cover up the skills that he lacks, this blind behavior only draws attention to the negative aspects of Doodle. With his brother only focusing on everything that he wasn't instead everything that he already was, Doodle was misunderstood and never had a chance to prove his true potential. The Scarlet Ibis was introduced into the story through an unattractive screeching noise, making the protagonist and the rest of his family believe that the creature wasn't beautiful before they'd even had a chance to properly see it. By only focusing on the quality of the noise, the Scarlet Ibis was also misunderstood and unable to prove it's true beauty. Doodle was born unnaturally as well, which left him fragile and alienated by those around him, because of this, he was unable to blend in with his peers. He was always seen as different, almost foreign to everyone that misinterpreted his insightful way of viewing the world around him. The exotic Ibis was similarly out of place, it's beauty and bold appearance strange to the family that lacked exposure. Unlike Doodle, they were captivated by it's foreign beauty and fragile existence, the heir of fast approaching death making it's brilliance all the more painfully clear. It was a short-lived moment of glory, for soon after receiving acknowledgment, death ceased the weary bird and took all the significance it had been able to gain in their eyes. Doodle, also a rare treasure, was equally wronged, his uniqueness never fully understood by those closest to him. Even until the last moment of his tortured life, the protagonist was never able to fully realize how much Doodle meant to him, what an important part of his existence Doodle had become. Only after death also took his weary body did the protagonist see all of the qualities that made Doodle great, that made him so irreplaceable. Even in death the Scarlet Ibis and Doodle shared an undeniable sense of splendor that made them so subtly intertwined.

message 34: by Ellie (new)

Ellie Carlson | 7 comments The scarlet ibis repersents doodle in so many ways. First off, they are both "rare" and born into enviroments that weren't exactly meant for them. Exotic is the main work I would use to describe both. Second, in the story the ibis travels a long way and ends up dying. This relates to doodle because after he beats the odds and traveled on this long journey and accomplished a lot, he ends up dying in the end too. They have both gone through emotional and physical pain from my inference. They both died under "bleeding trees". They both went above and beyond and beat the odds by miles. Both ended sadly after an inspiring journey.