The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

General Chat > Doing Video Reviews

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dorie (last edited Oct 28, 2011 02:37PM) (new)

Dorie (dorieann) | 464 comments I like the idea, I'll definitely check out your video reviews. Personally I don't think I'm very good at writing reviews. I don't have the level of in-depth analysis required of a really good review. It does take time to fashion a really good review, and I'm always eager to go on to the next read instead.

But what I like in a review is of course the basics (your opinion of the plot, characters, and the writing itself), and also a suggestion of who might enjoy it. For instance, for crime fiction it's always helpful to me to know the level of violence, gore, or sex scenes. If a book doesn't have any of those, people who read cozies may enjoy it, even if the book isn't specifically labeled a cozy. Good luck with your reviews, I look forward them seeing them!

Edited to add: A great idea would be at the end of the review to offer recommendations for books of a similar style. "If you enjoy this type of book, here are some others that you may want to read," type of thing. I really love finding new authors/books this way.

message 2: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 335 comments I am right there with you Dorie, I would much rather discuss a book with someone, then write a review and I am sure it is because I don't do it well. I worry about revealing too much information.

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (fallenmurphy) | 5 comments I started doing videos reviews so I don't really have an answer for you, but I think if you just keep doing them they are on books people are curious about then people would watch them.