Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Librarians who use Voyager

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:20PM) (new)

Sara (SaraAlleman) | 2 comments I know that this is un-related to GoodReads but I'm in a library rut.

I use Voyager everyday and it seems to be the MOST non-user friendly program I have ever worked with. I've asked around but no one seems to know how to use it any better.

Does anyone know of a website that I could direct me in a way to use this program better? I've searched it online and I'll I'm going up with is: Star Trek Voyager (blah,blah,blah).1608

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:21PM) (new)

message 3: by Sara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:22PM) (new)

Sara (SaraAlleman) | 2 comments Thank you so much - I've got all day now to check these out!

message 4: by Erin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:22PM) (new)

Erin | 8 comments Which module are you using? I used to use the cataloging module, way back in the day, but I'm not familiar with any of the others. I keep hearing that ExLibris is going to get rid of Voyager, but it never seems to happen.

The help center link that Rivka has above (her second link), looks good, but you might want to see if other libraries have published guides or cheat sheets that are more user-friendly. In order to do that, you can search "Voyager" and
"library", and that'll get rid of the Star Trek hits, but you'll still get a lot of false hits for libraries that have just named their catalog Voyager. If you're using a specific module, try adding the name of that module to your search and it should give you more specific results.

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:23PM) (new)

rivka | 35306 comments Mod
That's precisely the search I used that gave me those two links. :D (Do not use "librarian" and "voyager" -- there seems to be some sort of computerized music-librarian system by the same name.)

The first link actually is sort of a guide, published by the IL state library. I found a LOT of "what Voyager is" type hits, but not any other useful-looking cheat-sheets from libraries. However, I stopped after about a page of search results, and as someone who doesn't actually do this for a living and has no experience with the program in question, I might easily have passed by links that a librarian would see as useful. :)

Or it could be like the antiquated system I have to use at work (AS400), and most smart systems have switched to less-obsolete software, and therefore don't have help guides to the stuff I'm stuck using. ;)