Santa Barbara YA Book Group discussion

NaNoWriMo

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mvandew) | 26 comments Mod
Just realized November is around the corner. Anyone here thinking of doing NaNo this year? Just curious. Every year I *think* about it and get various levels of inspired. (In case you are not familiar with NaNo: http://www.nanowrimo.org/)

message 2: by Holly (new)

Holly (hazeleyesca) | 18 comments Mod
Ah, not me. I've written some poetry in the past, but nothing like taking on a whole novel.

What would you write about?

message 3: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha (tabitha_carnes) I'm not much of a novelist, but I do participate in NaBloPoMo ( http://nablopomo.com/ )every year. It's National Blog Posting Month, and someone started it awhile back because she wanted to write every day, but didn't have interest in writing a whole novel. I love the challenge of doing something every day for a month!

message 4: by Janeya (new)

Janeya (janeyajoy) Thanks for posting this, Melissa. I had never heard of it before (and I call myself a reader/writer, tsk). I joined up only minutes after visiting the website and I've already gotten started on one of my several novel ideas. I'm over 8,000 words in and it's not even November 1st yet! =) Hopefully my enthusiasm will last.

My Novel Synopsis:

Sessilee is enjoying an uneventful third year of college when, with the start of the second semester, everything changes. She starts having dreams - really lifelike ones - where she's some kind of super spy. She's totally enjoying them; that is, until she meets Kal in Geography class. He's the boy of her dreams. Literally. The boy who is her super spy partner-in-espionage as they beat up guards, sneak past security systems, and steal confidential documents.

This might all sound just fine, but when the dreams take a turn for the worse (and get really creepy), she starts to wonder just how real they might be and if Kal has more to do with them than he lets on.

What do you guys think?

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mvandew) | 26 comments Mod
Hey, glad to hear there's at least 1 Nanovelist and a Nablogger out there. I have finished NaNo once and attempted it maybe 3 other times. Every year it sneaks up on me and I get really tempted, even though it's obvious I don't have the time... I think that's part of the fun. (??)

Janeya, I like your premise! Sounds good - let us know how it turns out. There is a SB region NaNo group on the site... I'm a member but I mostly lurk.

message 6: by Janeya (new)

Janeya (janeyajoy) I'm a member, too. I'm going to the get together at Lazy Acres tonight. I'm trying to get involved in order to stay energized about it all.