Love Inspired Historicals discussion

Halloween plans? Festivals? Costumes?

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JanetTronstad (new)

JanetTronstad Author Tronstad | 2759 comments Mod
I know we have a diversity of Halloween traditions in this group (from church harvest festivals to costume parties). Anyone doing anything special this year? I plan to go up to the mountains to a lakeside cabin with a friend to celebrate fall in this little mountain town (it's a favorite get-away). Not sure what we'll do there, but some hikes are on the agenda. I think they have a costume contest, too (we might go look, not to dress up and participate).

message 2: by Eva (new)

Eva Hamilton (goodreadscomevamariahamilton) | 202 comments Sounds like fun Janet!

We took our 4 yr old daughter to an indoor Trick or Treat at a nearby mall last night, it was packed. More people then the Christmas rush! But so nice to see all the kids having fun and dressed up so cute! Then of course Monday is Halloween and we'll be trick or treating door to door in our neighborhood :) I have to get our pumpkins carved this weekend! Already gutted them :)

message 3: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrie) | 735 comments I will be attending Reformation party at church on Monday evening.

message 4: by Joy (new)

Joy I have to dress up for work. My boss promised if we all dressed up she would come to work as a cow. :P

Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance | 909 comments I am not doing anything for Halloween. However we are at my Aunt's house and she has two little ones. I think tomorrow the neighborhood is having a carnival so I will be going to that.

My other Aunt is dressing up for work on Monday. The patients get to vote on the costumes the employees wear. Winner gets $100.00! I let her borrow my witch's gown. It has purple sleeves with spider webs. It will tie in with the make-up she is doing a spider women look.

message 6: by JanetTronstad (new)

JanetTronstad Author Tronstad | 2759 comments Mod
LOL, Joy -- seeing your boss as a cow will make it worth dressing up. She sounds like a good sport.

Terri -- I've never been to a Reformation party -- what's it like?

And, Laura -- I like the sounds of your witch's gown.

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Pumpkin carving party!

message 8: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (debbiekaufman) | 66 comments Hubby and I are working the Fall Festival at church. We both got assigned to the ages 5 and under game area. Should be fun!

message 9: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (welachild) | 66 comments Janet, a fall hike sounds nice. I can just imagine bundling up, breathing in the crisp lakeside air, and then afterwards sipping on a cup of hot apple cider and reading a good book!
Already took my daughter to company Halloween party. She went as Nemo and was so adorable. We will probably just hand out candy on Halloween.

message 10: by Eva (new)

Eva Hamilton (goodreadscomevamariahamilton) | 202 comments Terri, parties are always fun! But I'm with Janet, what exactly is a reformation party?

Joy, that's funny! What are you dressing up as?

Laura & Debbie, Fall Festivals sound fun! Hope you both have nice weather!

Jennifer, a pumpkin carving party! Does everyone have to bring their own pumpkin? Or will many hands make light work?

Melissa, that is so cute that she dressed up as Nemo! Have fun giving out treats. I love seeing all the kids in their costumes :)

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Everyone brings their own pumpkin! I am sure we will have some interesting designs

message 12: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments We dont really do Halloween here although it is starting to be bigger here. But its more cos of America. they do advertise the candy etc but its more the bad side the witches, etc. we dont really have trick or treat although a few are now knocking on doors and of course when they do the people like me dont have anything to give them not that I would anyway. Its not an Aussie thing. Its more people will have parties and some work places like the bakery dress up like witches etc.

message 13: by Joy (new)

Joy Eva wrote: "Joy, that's funny! What are you dressing up as?

I'm not sure yet. I've got several options. When I make up my mind I'll let ya'll know!

message 14: by Joy (new)

Joy Janet Tronstad wrote: "LOL, Joy -- seeing your boss as a cow will make it worth dressing up. She sounds like a good sport."

Haha...yes, it'll be worth working in a costume all day to see that.

message 15: by Eva (new)

Eva Hamilton (goodreadscomevamariahamilton) | 202 comments Sounds good Joy! One more day to decide :)

Jennifer, that's going to be a lot of pumpkin seeds! Hope you love them as much as I do :)

Jenny, I have a friend in Mexico that says they are also starting to get more into Halloween, although they traditionally celebrate The Day of the Dead. And I know in Italy the emphasis is more on All Soul's Day and All Saint's Day. Thanks for always keeping us in the know about Australia :)

message 16: by Abby (new)

Abby (abbygaines) | 24 comments Our church has a Light Party as an alternative to Halloween. It's free for the whole community and we have several hundred kids come along.

message 17: by Eva (new)

Eva Hamilton (goodreadscomevamariahamilton) | 202 comments That's wonderful Abby! Lots of kids! What exactly do you do at a light party?

message 18: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) | 1644 comments Mod
Today is my son's third wedding anniversary. I sent them an animated card via email! I'm a modern mom! So happy for them!!!

message 19: by Joy (new)

Joy Eva wrote: "Joy, that's funny! What are you dressing up as?"

I am wearing a long pink dress with a scarf draped over my shoulders and a long black cape (because it's cold out there!)

I've already been asked if I was Darth Vader or a witch! Uh...neither! lol

I'll go with princess. The cape reminds me of Belle in Beauty and the Beast. I don't think hers was black, but she did wear a cape with her dress while she was playing in the snow with the Beast.

message 20: by Joy (new)

Joy Lyn wrote: "Today is my son's third wedding anniversary. I sent them an animated card via email! I'm a modern mom! So happy for them!!!"

Aww...how sweet. Congrats to them!

message 21: by Harlequin Books (new)

Harlequin Books (harlequinbooks) | 34 comments >

Save 31% on all books, with coupon code HALLOW3111 Happy Halloween!

And on the more personal side...
I'm planning on giving out candy dressed as a telephone repairwoman. My daughter has decided she is to old to trick-or-treat so she is staying home but still is going to dress up as a football player. My mom will be coming down also because she lives in a senior apartment building and gets to see no cute costumes. My husband carved our pumpkins last night. One is a regular jack-o-latern, one is a football helmet, and the last has Casper the friendly ghost carved on it. :)

message 22: by Abby (new)

Abby (abbygaines) | 24 comments Eva wrote: "That's wonderful Abby! Lots of kids! What exactly do you do at a light party?"

Eva, the Light Party is lots of activities for kids age up to about 10 - bouncy castle, face painting, "dunk the pastor" (our pastors are very good sports!), hot dogs, ice creams etc. Toward the end, everyone goes into the church and a short, fun talk is given with a gospel message.

message 23: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrie) | 735 comments Eva wrote: "Terri, parties are always fun! But I'm with Janet, what exactly is a reformation party?

Joy, that's funny! What are you dressing up as?

Laura & Debbie, Fall Festivals sound fun! Hope you both hav..."

heard of Martin Luther? the celebration of Martin Luther.

message 24: by Heidi (last edited Oct 31, 2011 06:40PM) (new)

Heidi | 985 comments Janet Tronstad wrote: "I know we have a diversity of Halloween traditions in this group (from church harvest festivals to costume parties). Anyone doing anything special this year? I plan to go up to the mountains to a..."

Ooooh! That sounds like my kind of Halloween! We do our churches Fall Fest. activities, but they are not on Halloween. On Halloween our whole family goes out and gets a sweet treat of our choice, and we give our kiddo a bag of treats, and little fun stuff as a gift from us. My hubby and kiddo wanted a Pumpkin Blizzard this year as their special treat, and I wanted one of those special caramel apples from Rocky Mtn. Choc. Factory :) It was a German Choc. caramel apple with chocolates, pecans, and coconut on it! YUM! Hope everyone has fun, no matter what they are doing! :)

message 25: by Judy (new)

Judy (sweetpeajudy) My Daughter and Grandchildren are here for a 5 week stay before moving to Sweden (Military). We did something that was a lot of fun and I didn't know about it until this year. A town about 20 minutes from us has a town wide (participating stores) trick or treating. We walked from store to store and the kids had a ball. We then stopped in at their Wal-mart store and the kids were able to trick or treat inside. We were given a listing of where to go. (For example: Layaway, sporting goods, subway, jewelry, etc). The kids had so much fun and my Daughter and I thought that was so neat.

message 26: by Eva (new)

Eva Hamilton (goodreadscomevamariahamilton) | 202 comments Happy Anniversary to your kids Lyn!

That sounds great Joy! And why not leave them guessing a little, more fun! :)

Danica, sounds like you had a full and wonderful Halloween!

Abby, that sounds awesome! I'm sure you had fun!

Terri glad your party was lots of fun!!!

Heidi, you just made me very hungry! :) sounds like you enjoyed a delicious Halloween!

Judy that sounds great!

I dressed up as Snoopy to take my kitty cat daughter trick or treating! So much fun! Funny thing, whenever I wear that costume a stranger always comes to ask for a photo :) so there are incriminating photos floating around :)

message 27: by Camille (new)

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 35 comments We had friends over at our house to celebrate! It was super fun! :) My roommates and I also carved pumpkins and made fresh pumpkin seeds, YUM! I dressed up as the Mad Hatter. :)

message 28: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments I just took my niece and nephew out trick-or-treating for about an hour. My nephew was Scooby Doo and my niece was Daphne, right up until we were about to leave when she stripped off her costume and put on a Snow White dress from her toy box dress ups. Kids!

message 29: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Eva wrote: "Sounds good Joy! One more day to decide :)

Jennifer, that's going to be a lot of pumpkin seeds! Hope you love them as much as I do :)

Jenny, I have a friend in Mexico that says they are also star..."

Um....you have no idea how many pumpkin seeds there were! I posted tons of pics on facebook. lol I can post some on here too if anyone wants to see the pumpkins

message 30: by Eva (new)

Eva Hamilton (goodreadscomevamariahamilton) | 202 comments Cool costume Camille! Did you act the part too? lol Sounds like a fun time :)

Lol Melody! That sounds like fun! Trying to decide what to wear is hard when it's only one time a year :)

Jennifer I'd love to see the pics!

message 31: by Melody (last edited Nov 01, 2011 06:24PM) (new)

Melody | 2493 comments Yeah, silly girl. Just too bad I had spent forever pinning her hair up, so I could get her orange Daphne wig to stay on her head!
When we went to this one house and the kid there screamed boo, which triggered a large fake spider to drop from the ceiling right in front of me. I totally jumped and screamed. The dad then told his kid that he was supposed to scare the older kids, not the moms. My niece and nephew weren't phased a bit, but I guess I am just too easily scared!

message 32: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 985 comments Eva wrote: "Happy Anniversary to your kids Lyn!

That sounds great Joy! And why not leave them guessing a little, more fun! :)

Danica, sounds like you had a full and wonderful Halloween!

Abby, that sounds aw..."

Thanks Eva :) It was quite good! I hope you and your little kitty enjoyed lots of yummy treats from your trick or treating as well. Did you get lots of requests for pictures this year, lol. What a compliment! :) You must have great costumes!

message 33: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Pics are up for anyone who wants to see them....I posted them to the group pics

message 34: by Camille (new)

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 35 comments I did act the part! :) I decided to be the Mad Hatter last minute. On the 23rd for my birthday I went to Disneyland and they had the CUTEST Mad Hatter hats for sale, so I bought one, and I wanted to be able to wear it more than just at Disneyland, so I wondered how I could make that happen and then it dawned on me: Halloween! :) It was just perfect!

message 35: by Eva (new)

Eva Hamilton (goodreadscomevamariahamilton) | 202 comments Melody, lol, I probably would have jumped too, :)

Heidi, yes my daughter got three huge bowls of candy! Some of the houses even tried giving me candy for dressing up! :)

Jennifer, going to check out the pics now! Thanks for posting them!

Camille that's perfect!

message 36: by Eva (new)

Eva Hamilton (goodreadscomevamariahamilton) | 202 comments Jennifer, just saw the pics! Love the turkey! How cool! Never thought of carving that! looks like it was tons of fun! Will have to remember this idea for future parties :)

message 37: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments Yup, it was fun! Tons of free stencils online too!