Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Book/Author/Series/Genre > Audio books ?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Neha (new)

Neha (neha_dk) | 15 comments Hi all !!

I was hoping to venture out into audio books and was wondering where to start ! I have never ever read an audio book, and was wondering which audio books are good, which ones are a no no ...?

Help !

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments everyone is different on audiobooks - there are narrators that some people love that others hate - so its up to you to figure out where you stand.

some of my personal favorites - the outlander series by Diana Gabaldon, narrated by Davina Porter; the In Death series by JD Robb, narrated by Susan Erickson; the Millenium Trilogy by Steig Larsson, narrated by Simon Vance; KMM Highlander and Fever series, narrated by Phil Gigante, and Joyce Bean/Natalie Ross

depending on where you are looking at getting them from - audible has a pretty good preview feature so you can hear the narrator - there is also a Speaking of Audiobooks group here on GR that has lots of good reviews

message 3: by Neha (new)

Neha (neha_dk) | 15 comments Thanks Dee !! I think I will have a go at ur suggestions and also maybe join the group !

message 4: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (mandypants) I've just recently started listening to audiobooks since I've had crazy vision problems/surgery. The key really is the narrator. I would suggest listening to a sample before buying. You can tell pretty quickly if you can stand listening to a voice for 8+ hours.

You might want to see if your public library has downloadable audiobooks. Mine does and I live in the behind the times south.

If you haven't read them, Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files is narrated by James Marsters (Spike from Buffy) and he does a great job.

message 5: by Neha (new)

Neha (neha_dk) | 15 comments ooo... I think I liked Spike from buffy's voice... I am def going to go for dresden files then !

Thanks Mandy !!

message 6: by ~Melissa~ (new)

~Melissa~ | 1971 comments oooh... just put Grave Peril on hold at library, didn't know he was the narrator ....niiiicccee ☺

message 7: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 1100 comments Yeah it can depend a lot on personal taste. I don't care for Barbara Rosenblatt as a reader but she seems to be really popular. I don't avoid her altogether but sometimes I will go for print if I see she's the narrator.

Audios I loved:

Harry Potter books read by Jim Dale. (He is, IMHO, the greatest audio book reader ever).

Myron Bolitar books by Harlan Coben (I preferred the earlier reader but the whole series is good)

Agatha Raisin and Hamish MacBeth books by MC Beaton (various readers)

The Ladies #1 Detective Agency & Sunday Philosopy Club books by Alexander McCall Smith

Lucas Davenport & Virgil Flowers books by John Sandford (Virgil is in the Davenport series but now he has his own series)

Eragon books by Christopher Paolini

Kay Scarbetta books by Patricia Cornwell

Alaphet series by Sue Grafton (I gave up on this series but not because of the narrator)

I've read the first 10 or so Harry Dresden books in print but I have Turn Coat on audio. I heard the reader on a audio short story collection that had a Dresden story and liked him)

I rarely read James Patterson or Nora Roberts in print. My library tends to have them on audio and I get those. Various readers.

message 8: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 721 comments I'd listen to a series you love. It's like a re-read and sometimes I notice more stuff the 2nd time around. I've been doing that with a lot of series I like.

message 9: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 1100 comments I've been getting audio versions of some series that I read in print. I don't normally reread but there are some series that I put down for too long and now need to remind myself of what happened. Audios are a good way to do that.

Booksfree.com is a great please to get audiobooks. I pay $22.50/month and get usually 4 audiobooks a month from them. I would actually get more if I loaded them up and mailed them back faster. But it usually takes me a couple of days to get around to it. They pay the postage and provide a mailer. I just load them on Itunes and mail them back. I do 1 out at a time and they mail it first class. I live in MA and they're in VA so my turn around time is pretty quick. Someone on the West Coast might do better with a 2 out at a time plan. I think 2 still go out as first class and if you load them quickly and mail them back right away it's a good deal. Much cheaper than buying them or using Audible. When I did Audible it was $15/month for 1 credit. Once you use the credit it's gone and you have to pay for anything else you wanted. Yes you got it right away but to me it was too expensive. I never need anything immediately.

message 10: by JC (new)

JC (jmnc) | 311 comments I use a lot of audiobooks, which I exclusively check out of the library and load onto my itunes then my ipod. And it's FREE! My library offers EAudiobooks that can be checked out and returned just like any library book, but downloadable online. Unfortunately I can't take advantage of this since I live in a rural area and have limited internet capabilities. But I've looked at the catalog and it seems I could listen to pretty much any book I wanted to just like a library check-out.

Narrator definitely makes a difference in my enjoyment of a book. I sometimes think I wouldn't have liked the print version as much as the audio if I had read it - I just love having a book read aloud to me with the inflection, emotion and different voices. The narration definitely helps me understand books I probably would have put down in print form.

I've found I prefer a narrator with an English accent (I'm American). I'm not sure why this is, I just like listening to it. I have really enjoyed all of Jane Austens novels on audio. One of the best narrations I've listened to was The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie.

My library also offers an alternative audio form called a playaway. It's a preloaded MP3 that's smaller than a deck of cards. You put in your own AAA battery and headphones and listen.

message 11: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments Mary wrote: "Harry Potter books read by Jim Dale. (He is, IMHO, the greatest audio book reader ever). "

I have you to thank for recommending me the HP series on audio, Mary. Before the audio version, I was just meh on the series (have read the first book but didn't think I would continue) but then you told me to check the audios...and I fell in love! I don't know that I've laughed and cried as much with a series and I still have two books to go.

message 12: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments Neha - Here's a list of books from your TBR that I listened in audio and really liked:

Perfect Chemistry
Cry No More
Ready Player One
Outlander

message 13: by Mary C (last edited Nov 01, 2011 05:00PM) (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 1100 comments Yeah he was an amazing reader. I don't think I could have sat and read those in print.

Here's one I can say get in print: One Foot in the Grave-the narrator makes the sexy hero vamp sound like a Cockney prostitute from a Regency romance. Aweful.

The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy-this was great on audio.

I've listened to a lot of Heather Graham and Catherine Coulter books on audio. The readers vary but they're usually pretty good.

I recently discovered GraphicAudios. I listened to Solomon's Jar (Rogue Angel, #2) by Alex Archer . It was really good. They add sound effects like background noise, vehicles, rain etc.., I could have done w/o the little commercials at the end of each CD but then I just skipped those segments. No biggy. They call them a "movie in your head".

message 14: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments Oh I was planning to read Hitchhiker's but I have it on ebook...my library has the audio so I just checked it out!

Thanks!

message 15: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (last edited Nov 01, 2011 05:22PM) (new)

~KarenH~ | 7864 comments Mary wrote: "Yeah he was an amazing reader. I don't think I could have sat and read those in print.

Here's one I can say get in print: One Foot in the Grave-the narrator makes the sexy hero v..."

This is exactly why it's so important to either listen to samples or take the word of someone whose taste you know is similar to yours (once you've listened to a few narrators and have a feel for what you like). I love the Night Huntress series in audio - granted it did take a little bit of time to get used to Bones' voice, but once I did I really enjoyed the recordings and now can't imagine NOT listening to them.

I would second the recommendations of the Outlander series (narrated by Davina Porter), the In Death series (Susan Erickson) and KMM's Highlander series (Phil Gigante) - I haven't listened to the Fever series yet. Another favorite of mine is Anna Fields, who narrated Susan Elizabeth Phillips' Chicago Stars series (and most of her other books too, among other things) and who I've missed terribly when listening to the newest releases. :(

message 16: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Neha,

For an audiobook newbie, you might want to check this thread:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...

message 17: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 27 comments I do a lot of audiobooks due to (1) commute and (2) a loud office.

I definitely recommend the In Death series by JD Robb, narrated by Susan Erickson. They are fantastic. I actually don't want to read the books b/c I love listening to the story as she tells it.

The Jim Dale "Harry Potter" series is excellent as well.

Denise ~The Procrastinating Book Diva~ (procrastinating_bookdiva) | 15 comments I also love the In Death series, but another series that I love is Suzanne Brockmann's Troubleshooters read by Patrick Lawlor with Melanie Ewbanks / Renee Raudman (Melanie narrated 4 books and Renee did the rest). Not all of the books are in audiobook and some of the earlier ones are read by other people, but the books read by Patrick and the ladies are fabulous.

message 19: by Kruti (new)

Kruti Neha wrote: "Hi all !!

I was hoping to venture out into audio books and was wondering where to start ! I have never ever read an audio book, and was wondering which audio books are good, which ones are a no ..."

Hi Neha,

I don't usually do audiobooks but I recently listened to 'The Help' by Kathryn Stockett. The narrators did an amazing job and I loved it. You can see some of the reviews here - http://www.audible.com/pd?asin=B002UZ....

I hope that helps.

message 20: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 1100 comments The Curse of Chalion (Chalion, #1) by Lois McMaster Bujold the reader was great on this.

message 21: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments Mary - who was the reader?

message 22: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 3877 comments I have loved all the ones that Dee mentioned. But, I'll also put in for the Nightwalkers Series by Jacquelyn Frank. The series is narrated by Xe Sands and she's awesome!

I love audio for a change of pace. I've always got one ready to go and listen when in the car or doing housework. It's a great way to pass the time.

message 23: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 366 comments I really enjoy listening to audio books while driving around doing errands. I listened to one while I was working on a beaded project which made the time go much faster and made the project more interesting. I'm going to try listening when I have a stretch of knitting that has to be finished since stockinette stitch bores me-might be why I stick to small projects and don't do sweaters.

message 24: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 1100 comments his name is Lloyd James.

message 25: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20722 comments I'm just about to pull together an audiobook challenge, so watch out!

...There are so many of us that listen to audiobooks, and I'm hoping we can all pick up rec's etc from the challenge...

Denise ~The Procrastinating Book Diva~ (procrastinating_bookdiva) | 15 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "I'm just about to pull together an audiobook challenge, so watch out!

...There are so many of us that listen to audiobooks, and I'm hoping we can all pick up rec's etc from the challenge..."

Sounds like fun!!! I'm definitely in - can't wait :)

message 27: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments Oh an audiobook challenge! I may be in for that!

message 28: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 1100 comments Me too!

Another group I do does a monthly audiobook challenge. It's just a basic pick your own level of easy, medium or hard with the occasional, optional, bonus part related to the month.

message 29: by Rishika (new)

Rishika | 136 comments oh i am in for an audio challenge and rite now i am listening to mark twain.. its really good

message 30: by Ian (new)

Ian (setaian) | 203 comments There are a few narrators who are so good that I will sometimes buy an audiobook just because of who narrated it.

In romantic fiction the names that spring to mind are Tanya Eby and Therese Plummer.

Tanya Eby has done a few Nora Roberts books, some Sherryl Woods books and Susan Mallery. She has quite a distinctive voice but it's oddly enchanting (to me).

Therese Plummer is also brilliant. She has narrated all of Robyn Carr's Virgin River books and in my opinion has taken them from great to exceptional.

They are able to do a range of both male and female characters and when listening to them, you forget the narrator and become absorbed in the story.

If I had to recommend a few audiobooks I'd suggest:

1. The Search by Nora Roberts
2. Shelter Mountain by Robyn Carr
3. The Back Up Plan by Sherryl Woods
4. Veil of Night by Linda Howard

message 31: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20722 comments Thanks Ian - this will help for those who undertake the Audio Book Challenge coming up :)

Details are imminent!

Denise ~The Procrastinating Book Diva~ (procrastinating_bookdiva) | 15 comments Ian wrote: "There are a few narrators who are so good that I will sometimes buy an audiobook just because of who narrated it.

In romantic fiction the names that spring to mind are Tanya Eby and Therese Plum..."

Thanks for the recs Ian!!I think everyone can agree that finding out a narrator is horrible AFTER you've purchased the AB sucks :( I wish I had checked the board out before I got Fern Michael's Weekend Warriors!!! Laural Merlington has made this extremely painful to finish.

message 33: by Ian (new)

Ian (setaian) | 203 comments Denise wrote: "I think everyone can agree that finding out a narrator is horrible AFTER you've purchased the AB sucks"

I don't know if it's just me, but I don't mind hearing a talented female voice actor doing a male voice, but I'm not a big fan of men doing female voices. I don't know why but it just doesn't seem to work.

I was just thinking, "Live to Tell" by Lisa Gardner is a great audiobook. It is a mystery but does have some romance in it.

Denise ~The Procrastinating Book Diva~ (procrastinating_bookdiva) | 15 comments Ian wrote: I don't know if it's just me, but I don't mind hearing a talented female voic..."

No it's not just you. Men doing female voices really bothers me too. I've listened to a couple of Sandra Brown books read by Dick Hill and while they were pretty good, his female voices were absolutely horrendous!! It was definitely distracting and has turned me off of male narrators.

message 35: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20722 comments I've only hit a couple of good male narrators handling female voices and generally it is when they don't try too hard...

message 36: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments Yup, that's the key. Not trying too hard.

I actually prefer male narrators but then, I don't listen too much romance in audio.

message 37: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments ditto DG...only because I listen at work and i've had a few uncomfortable moments when I've had a hot place in an audiobook and my boss has come by...lol!

message 38: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments LOLOLOLOL!

This ONLY happens to me with audiobooks, but when I'm listening to a love scene, I always imagine that both myself and the narrator are watching the poor couple do the deed. And then I imagine the narrator looking at me and telling me...Wow! Look at that!

And that's when I lose it (yup, I'm crazy.)

Denise ~The Procrastinating Book Diva~ (procrastinating_bookdiva) | 15 comments Dee wrote: "ditto DG...only because I listen at work and i've had a few uncomfortable moments when I've had a hot place in an audiobook and my boss has come by...lol!"

Was it the blush on your face or the low moans coming from the ear buds that gave it away?!?! LOL

message 40: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments probably the blush...lol!

message 41: by Ian (new)

Ian (setaian) | 203 comments I think when I was about 14 or 15 me and a few friends were watching one of those 1980s softcore comedies which seemed to be the thing to watch for a teenage boy in the 1980s.
My friends father who was a christian minister walked in on us during one particular party scene where all the girls were naked and dancing around.
After watching it in silence for about 30 seconds he said, "I think we should turn this off, don't you?"

message 42: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20722 comments Ooohh - embarrassing at the age of 14! Bit like watching tampon ads in front of boys ;)

message 43: by Haikufall (new)

Haikufall | 9 comments Try listing to sample of books either from you local library or go to Audible.com and the site lets you listen to different readers for books.

message 44: by The UHQ Nasanta (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 127 comments Hi, I was wondering if someone could tell me, if your currently subscribed month has not yet passed and you purchased, say, a year's subscription during that time, is it added on to your current subscription or does it start from the date of your purchase? (If that makes sense...)

message 45: by Boosmummy (new)

Boosmummy I like to listen to Nicky Pellegrino on audio, the woman who has narrated the last of his I listened to is Suzy Aitchison has been wonderful. She really seemed to get into the book. I find someone with a strong accent very offputting.

Denise ~The Procrastinating Book Diva~ (procrastinating_bookdiva) | 15 comments I'm listening to Split Second by Catherine Coulter narrated by Renee Raudman (love her work, she's the reason I decided to give it a try) and Paul Costanza. The verdict is still out on the book, but I love their narration - they really compliment each other.

message 47: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments Niq - i'm not sure, I know when I changed my audible plan from 1 credit to 2 credits, it was effective immediately and that reset my date of getting my credits (from the 1st of the month to the 21st)

message 48: by The UHQ Nasanta (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 127 comments Dee wrote: "Niq - i'm not sure, I know when I changed my audible plan from 1 credit to 2 credits, it was effective immediately and that reset my date of getting my credits (from the 1st of the month to the 21st)"

Ok. Thanks, Dee.

message 49: by Beth (new)

Beth | 1 comments I work on a microscope so audiobooks are my thing. I use the library, though. It makes it difficult to follow a series sometimes, but I go through them so quickly I hate to pay for them.

message 50: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 1100 comments I mostly use the library and buy the CDS myself if they aren't too bad. Then I can at least trade them on paperbackswap after I listen. I get a lot of audiobooks from paperbackswap.com. But it's only for people in the US or US territories or military. I read the first 2 books of the Tairen Soul series in print when they first came out. I have the next 2 but keep putting off reading them because it's been so long and I know I'll have forgotten stuff. So I put the first 2 audio editions on my WL on PBS since I had a lot of credits build up. Someone posted them both to me and they're on their way now. I actually didn't think I'd get them there and expected to just end up getting them in print from the library. So I was excited to get them.

« previous 1