The Sword and Laser discussion

Ready Player One (Ready Player One, #1)
This topic is about Ready Player One
2011 Reads > RPO: Big Red Button *spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JP (last edited Oct 28, 2011 08:27AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

JP Capili (jpcapili) | 37 comments Does anyone think Parzival would eventually press this button; or at least capable of doing it? What do you think would be the repercussions of doing so, real-world-wise?

Docxen | 19 comments so sounds like it would be the next novel. Parzival sees that people are dying from playing in the game world because they are not eating in the real world or something like that. He turns it off and everyone has to cope in the real world.

Poly (xenphilos) Docxen wrote: "so sounds like it would be the next novel. Parzival sees that people are dying from playing in the game world because they are not eating in the real world or something like that. He turns it off..."

I'd see Perzival and gang pushing the button and then trying to build a better replacement.

Bart Mcendree | 2 comments If you hit the red button how would you preserve the good and non-adictive parts? They should keep the virtual schools, stores, and access to other useful services. Maybe somehow just restrict the time allowed online .

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments I hate how people tend to for the sake of wrap up on some of these novels say "a simpler life is a better life". It feels like the way people look back on their childhood sometimes with rose color glasses going, "it was really a better simpler time then". Of course "as a kid" it was a better simpler time! You didn't comprehend all the crap going on in the world! I wonder how many people thought it was a better time before the invention of the telephone. Sorry for the rant but "cutting off" the technology seems like a comp out for the personal responsibility we all have to moderate our obsessive tendencies.

Kris (kvolk) I think the red button is just a doomsday device to keep the tension levels up. Pushing it would serve no purpose unless it doesn't really destroy everything...

Michael Mitsuda | 15 comments Real world wise? Well since Oasis Credits is the "world's most stable currency", you risk turning the entire world economy into the dumps... Much like how it was like in 2008 to now. Only worse since Oasic Credits is worth more then everyone else.

Also, since Ludus is based on the Oasis platform, that is gone too.

You push that button, you send everyone back to real-world reality. And that is going to be one ugly reality forcing the population to interact face-to-face...

Oh, and since Wade and the rest of the gang has billions of 'credits', that's gone too.

Nukethewhalesagain | 27 comments Meh, now that the contest is over, I don't get why anyone would continue to play the game.