Chicks On Lit discussion

The Bronze Horseman (The Bronze Horseman, #1)
This topic is about The Bronze Horseman
Archive 08-19 BR & Challenges > The Bronze Horseman Trilogy

Comments Showing 1-50 of 163 (163 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

Jasmine (enchantingdragon) | 110 comments I know you all read this in June but I just actually finished the first book and really want to chat about it a little since I both really liked the book and also didnt care for some of it. I am reading the 2nd book now and assume I will continue on to the 3rd at some point too depending how well the 2nd ones ends for me. I tend to get fixated when I really like a book or character and can easily see myself rereading the Bronze Horseman again in a heartbeat so was wondering if anyone wanted to read the book series with me so I had someone to chat with. If you start at book one I can easily go back and reread. Im dying to talk about the book :p

Rebecca I would join you along with others Jasmine I have it on my Kindle and have not read it yet.

Jasmine (enchantingdragon) | 110 comments Yay! When do you want to do this?

Rebecca I can start whenever do you want to set up a reading schedule or however you want to do it is great.

Jasmine (enchantingdragon) | 110 comments Okie sure let me look at how other people have set things up in the past and look to see how many chapters The Bronze Horseman is to break it up. Its about 800 pages long I believe but depends on how fast and often you read as I finished it in 3-4 days I think. I dont expect us to go that fast though. Maybe a few chapters a week or something? Ive never done this before so bear with me :p

message 6: by Rebecca (last edited Oct 28, 2011 05:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rebecca A few a pages a week sounds good. Oherwise its hard to remember sometime what was read. I am looking forward. Thanks for the opportunity to read buddy read it Jasmine.

message 7: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Are you ladies talking about starting with the first one, or continuing the series? I haven't read any, but I have the first on my Nook. It will take me a while though.

message 8: by Jasmine (last edited Oct 28, 2011 06:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jasmine (enchantingdragon) | 110 comments Hi Vicki!

Im on the 2nd book, nearly done, but I wanted to reread The Bronze Horseman since I tend to get fixated on books I like a do a lot of rereading. I also want to talk about the book badly so would love the opportunity to relive it and then talk about it with you and Rebecca :)

I am looking on my Kindle and looking at the chapters. I also agree about reading too much and forgetting a lot so maybe we could do a few chapters a week? Is that too slow or too fast? Maybe do the first 4 chapters for next Friday? The first four chapters titled in my Kindle are The Lucent Dusk, The Field of Mars, Uncharted Tide, and Smoke and Thunder.

Im new to this buddy reading thing so feel free to chime in and add what you think might work best. I figure we could read up to next Friday (feel free to read past it if you want) and then come here and post our thoughts, questions, opinions and then after we discuss we could set up another chapter limit for the following week. Does this work?

message 9: by Vicki (new)

Vicki That would work for me. We could take it from there if we think the pacing is too fast or slow after the first week. This will probably be my busiest week, but I can handle 4 chapters for this week. I look forward to reading it, I have had it downloaded for quite awhile and it will be great to have people to talk about it with.

Jasmine (enchantingdragon) | 110 comments Okie if everyone is happy with that lets try it out and we can make adjustments as needed. :)

I am finishing up the 2nd book and will head back to Bronze Horseman afterwards and wait on reading the last book when you guys are there too so we can do that one together.

Happy reading!

message 11: by Vicki (new)

Vicki I have the second one on order. My library has the first and the third, but not the second.

I do have a question. Do you want to discuss on Friday the first four chapters or if we finish a chapter, we can stop in and discuss during this week?

Jasmine (enchantingdragon) | 110 comments Sure if you guys want to comment as you read thats fine too. I read it already so I can always talk about it whenever. :) If you have points you want to mention post it and we can comment back. On Friday Ill just make some questions or comments in general and you guys can give your thoughts on them? I think since I already read 2 out of 3 books its easier for me to ask you since I already know what happens sometimes you know.

Angela pappas (louispap) | 4 comments Jasmine wrote: "I know you all read this in June but I just actually finished the first book and really want to chat about it a little since I both really liked the book and also didnt care for some of it. I am r..."

I hope I'm doing this right since it is the first time I have posted. I read the entire trilogy over the summer and would love to join in on the discussion. Please keep me posted!

Jasmine (enchantingdragon) | 110 comments Hi Angela! Feel free to join us! We just started. I just read the first two books (waiting on the 3rd now) but was so captured and engrossed by the story and characters I wanted to talk about it so started this in hopes of finding others to chat with. Right now we are planning on reading the first 4 chapters and discuss them on Friday. If anyone has insight beforehand they can post whenever as well. On Friday Ill post some discussion questions to for everyone.

Rebecca I started last night. Already Tatiana has become endearing to me. I like how the author is teaching about Russian history with ease. I love Babuska and Dede.

Jasmine (enchantingdragon) | 110 comments Oh yay glad to hear that Rebecca. I liked Tatiana's family dynamics with so many different generations sharing and living together. Im an only child myself so I love hearing about large family interactions.

Jasmine (enchantingdragon) | 110 comments I started rereading last night and am really trying to take in everything this time around and catch all the little details I might have glossed over the first time around.

I did notice that within each larger section are smaller sections (which I didnt realize when I broke up the chapters) I think the part we are suppose to read up to is still fairly small (i think its less then 20% on my Kindle) but if you all feel its too much since we all have busy lives just let me know and we can adjust and condense it to make it shorter chunks. Just let me know. Sorry I didnt look into this more earlier.

Angela pappas (louispap) | 4 comments Sounds like a lot of fun! I loved this series.

message 19: by Vicki (new)

Vicki I actually started The Uncharted Tide, so I just have that one and the last to read for this week, so I think I can do it. I do like it so far. I love the girls and the family dynamic. I agree with Rebecca about how she seamlessly weaves they history in. I keep thinking about how bad it must be to live right in the middle of a war. I mean I have been a live for a few wars, but nothing right here. I can't imagine the worry and horror of it all.

Jasmine (enchantingdragon) | 110 comments Im so glad everyone is enjoying it so far and glad the reading isnt too much for everyone. Feel free to post here, Im thinking of some general questions to ask for Friday.

Christine | 1311 comments I just wanna chime in and say that I LOVED this series and hope you all do as well. Alexander can be my leading man anyday!! ;)

Jasmine (enchantingdragon) | 110 comments Christine wrote: "I just wanna chime in and say that I LOVED this series and hope you all do as well. Alexander can be my leading man anyday!! ;)"

Haha he is pretty great. Feel free to join our discussions Christine. We just started. I am another member have read at least the first 2 books but are rereading along. We are going to discuss Friday, the first few chapters, if someone doesnt chime in sooner. Feel free to join in and share your thoughts!

Jasmine (enchantingdragon) | 110 comments Im going to try to maybe post some thoughts/questions tonight since tomorrow I have my son all day with me so it might be tough to get online.

Is everyone ok with the reading load? I re-read and I think it ends at a good spot in the book so it worked out nicely in my opinion.

Any comments or thoughts? Hope everyone is enjoying the book!

Rebecca I think the pace is great Jasmine. Between yesterday and today I finished 10 percent. I should finish the other 10 tonight. The central storyline seems to be T and A. Wondering if the conflict with Dasha will be major or minor at this point. The storyline between T&A is about to take off from here.

Jasmine (enchantingdragon) | 110 comments Ok so I thought Id post some discussion questions here. Feel free to chime in whenever you finish reading. Feel free to add any additional thoughts or ask other questions, these are just some I thought up of as I read and would love to hear yours.

1) What are your initial thoughts of the book? Tatiana? Alexander? Dascha? The family?

2) What did you think of Alexander's big secret?
What do you think of Dimitri and Alexander's relationship?

3) Do you think Tatiana is right in keeping Dascha in the dark about her and Alexander? Would it be easier to tell her and live with the consequences or is it better this way? Is she not betraying her sister by not telling her or is she still by keeping it a secret?

4) Favorite part so far?

message 26: by Rebecca (last edited Nov 05, 2011 08:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rebecca I will since I am done with this weeks reading and am excited and eager to move on to the next chapters.

In love the family dynamics and feel that we are experiencing the love,heartache,despair right with each of these characters. I think that we Tatiania whom right now appears to me to be quite naive and innocent will have some harsh realitys to face as her family and she move through the events of the war.

Dimitri and Alex reminds me alot of sibling rivalry. These men brother like in
competivness in the areas of wit,strength,ego,romances. They don't seem like friends but
are not enemies. The presence of Tatiana also creates strain on their relationship.

I suspect at some point all will come out with Tatiana and Dasha. I fear all hell will break loose, their is going to be some hurt when discovered. I am sure that Dasha will feel betrayed. Betrayal drives the storyline and we well get to see how both deal with this
conflict in the book.

I love that everyday when Tatiana looked for Alex he was there. I love that he truly understands her in a way her family doesn't. He recognizes her and loves what and who she is.

Jasmine. Looking forward to starting the next reading section.

Jasmine (enchantingdragon) | 110 comments So glad you are enjoying it Rebecca! I was thinking of doing Impaled in Space, Beset and Beseiged, Night Sank Down for the next chapters if that works for everyone else. Im still rereading so I dont know if itll end as perfectly as I think this set did but its about 20% I think which is the same as we covered last week. If that works then we can do that for next Friday. Feel free to chime in with other thoughts, questions, theories, etc. Happy reading!

message 28: by Vicki (new)

Vicki That should work, though I am behind. I have been getting constant headaches for about a week and a half and my reading time has been almost non-existent. I have a three day work week next week, so I am hoping I can catch up then.

Kat (A Journey In Reading) (ajourneyinreading) | 390 comments Rebecca I love how you summed up what you've read. I read this book a couple of years ago, and it is one of my all time favorites. I read the second one last year, and have the 3rd one on my bookshelf waiting.

What I loved so much about this story was the innocence that it portrays.

message 30: by Rebecca (last edited Nov 08, 2011 08:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rebecca Thank you Kat. The theme does seems to thread throughout the whole book. Tatiana seems to be innocent of many things, not only the war.

What did you think of the relationship between Alex and Dimitri?

Jasmine (enchantingdragon) | 110 comments Rebecca what did you think of the hospital incident?

Rebecca I think there was alot said and going on in that scene. I was surprised by some of it. Is there something in particular for you Jasmine?

Jasmine (enchantingdragon) | 110 comments I am the first to admit I dislike sex in books. I tend to gloss over it if I bother to continue reading at all but I admit that scene to me seemed so real to me, so likely to happen and a natural build up of what was going on in their lives. I actually found that I liked that scene as well as the one in Luga very much which surprised me.

I remember when I first read this part through I was wrestling with some issues with Dascha and Alexander's relationship especially with how Tatiana and Alexander's relationship was changing. I have more to say about this but not till you have read more I think.

Luga is one of my favorite parts though, I love a knight in shining armor.

message 34: by Rebecca (last edited Nov 08, 2011 11:45AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rebecca Ok Jasmine, I am glad you said came out with the S word. LOL I was going to say it before but was chicken. I to was going to mention the building up of the sexual tension. I have to admit I was excited that it might happen and then surprised that it didnt. However, I believe we are getting very close.

I am not sure I like Alex saying "he could have taken Tatiana at anytime". Maybe the author was again showing us that he is chivelrous with Tatiana?

I think for me I like the way Simmons is taking it and building like you said Jasmine with Alex and Tatiana.

There was another statement said by Alex that changed later that confused me. I think it was where Alex told Tatiana that Dasha told him to save her. Tatiana was mad but then says go ahead tell her you saved me. (Tatiana).

I think it is brutal that Tatia has to watch Dascha and Alex. How hard that must have been for both.

Jasmine, at times I think that Dasha has to know that there is something going on between T and A but then wonder if she is so wrapped up in love for Alex she doesnt see? Does she really love Alex? I am not convinced. Maybe she does but not in the same way as Tatiana.

I am anxious to dicuss the next section on Friday

Kat (A Journey In Reading) (ajourneyinreading) | 390 comments Rebecca wrote: "Thank you Kat. The theme does seems to thread throughout the whole book. Tatiana seems to be innocent of many things, not only the war.

What did you think of the relationship between Alex and Dim..."

I don't know how far you all are into the story... but I dislike Dimitri very much.... There is a secret that will be revealed that Dimitri has been keeping..... making him a devious person in my opinion.

As for Dascha.... I never cared for her... she seemed spoiled and oblivious to things going on.. not just with Alexander.

The "S" word, as Rebecca put it :).... again... the innocence... When I read it.... I could just picture the anticipation, excitement, nervousness of a young/new love.... parts of it were absolutely breathtaking and beautiful.

message 36: by Rebecca (last edited Nov 08, 2011 12:52PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rebecca Kat up to Night Sank down by Friday. I am glad you are joining in with us. I agree and add heart racing. :)

Christine | 1311 comments I ve read all 3 books so I am hesitant to say too much. But I can say that Dmitri is a devious, selfish, ungreatful JERK. That's being nice.
And as far as the "S" word.. ( you guys crack me up) I promise if we are referring to sex this way, be prepared to blush intensely for the remainder of the books. LOL.
Alexander is awesome, he disappointed me one time and you would think he was a real person, I thought about it for days... Funny.
Dascha & Tatiana- they are sisters and love each other immensely. Yes, Dascha is very spoiled and the way the family treats Tatiana is terrible but really it prepares her for the rough road ahead.

Enjoy :)

message 38: by Rebecca (last edited Nov 08, 2011 01:53PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rebecca Chime in as we go along Christine. The more the merrier. Great comments are making this so enjoyable.

Jasmine (enchantingdragon) | 110 comments Haha the "S" word! Yes there is some wonderful sexual tension and Simmons really writes it well I think. I think the beauty of it is that it seems so real so natural for these two.

I think when Simmons has Alexander say "he could have taken Tatiana at anytime" its suppose to show how Tatiana is special to him. He knows they both want to but he loves her and wants more for her then just that. Thats why I like the hospital scene, I think even though Alexander wanted to and he knew Tatiana wanted to he knew he had to be the one to not and stop her and stop her the next day because he wanted more for her for them. Does this make sense? I am so wrapped up emotionally with this book that its hard for me to put into words all the feelings this book evoked from my heart.

I never though Dascha loved Alexander. I certainly think she is infatuated with him, who wouldn't be, but the author never gave me enough to really believe she loved him.

I have more thoughts but I dont think we covered those parts yet in the book so Ill wait.

Rebecca I think another beauty of this book is just what you said Jasmine. It's so hard to put into words all the feelings this books evokes. It's sweet,powerful love that sweeps over the reader.

Kat (A Journey In Reading) (ajourneyinreading) | 390 comments And now you all see why this is one of my all time favorites. :)

I agree with Christine about the sex scenes... they get pretty intense as it moves along.

I also agree with Jasmine... I don't think that Dascha ever really loved Alexander. He wasn't her "Shura".

Jasmine (enchantingdragon) | 110 comments I think Dascha liked the idea of a handsome solider, someone to have fun with and enjoy being young with. Love is different for everyone of course but it never seemed like she was moved to want to do more for Alexander or feel for him what he might be experiencing through the war and wanting to know any more about him then what he provided. Clearly he never opened up tto her the way he did Tatiana and if I were her thinking I was in love with someone I feel like I would want to know them more, their feelings, their life experiences, etc the way Tatiana always asks Alexander about. Dascha didnt seem to care less about that stuff at all which is why I feel she liked him more as a crush then true love.

Do you it was right for Alexander to continue seeing Dascha just so he could be with Tatiana? I think he was right in the fact that if (and when he did) break it off with Dascha that was it. He couldnt start coming around to see Tatiana after that and therefore breaking it with Dascha meant not seeing Tatiana as well. Id like to beleive that is why he continued with Dascha even if he didnt agree with Tatiana about keeping it a secret from Dascha. I think he knew with the war coming the family would need him and also that he needed to see Tatiana and know she was alright through it all even if it meant lying in front of everyone.

I have more thoughts culminating its just easier to get them out in pieces and as I read what parts stood out to other people. Thats why I like these discussions, pulls out all kinds of ideas and thoughts.

message 43: by Rebecca (last edited Nov 09, 2011 07:43AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rebecca I hope we are not getting to ahead I the discussion. Vicki how are you doing with it? Jasmine. Maybe we could think about making some section threads. I am re-reading this weeks section and would like to start the next.

Jasmine (enchantingdragon) | 110 comments Sure Rebecca except I dont know how to do that. Can you tell me or maybe set one up so I get an idea. I dont want to talk too far ahead either but its hard to keep track I admit. Im re-reading the parts again to make sure I remember what we are covering this week but I have already kept reading past the section.

Ill check tonight and see if I can lay out the next section so you can read more.

Jasmine (enchantingdragon) | 110 comments Hmmm Im not sure I understand completely but would it be easier to just leave it here and maybe say which chapter what we are talking about is referencing or something? Or maybe I should do a post and just outline the rest of the reading for everyone so then we can say Part 1 Part 2 etc? Sorry Im new to buddy reading and Good Reads forums as a whole

message 46: by Rebecca (last edited Nov 09, 2011 09:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rebecca I think best to keep the discussion all here and we will reference the section we are commenting on. Part One and Two sounds good to me.

Jasmine (enchantingdragon) | 110 comments Ok Ill try tonight to make an outline for what we read and whats coming up that way everyone can keep reading on if they want and then just reference back Sorry should have thought about it more

On the plus side you must be liking it to want to read and talk more!

message 48: by Rebecca (last edited Nov 09, 2011 09:13AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rebecca Nailed it on the head Jasmine. I am very into it. just reading through the 2nd section I think I have about 15 comments to make and am not finished. No worries, it's hard to kow the pace of how it will go. You are doing great. I am thrilled with the book and discussion.

Collin | 197 comments You guys are making me want to read this one with you even though I never really planned to! I guess that means your group/discussion is a success?

Jasmine (enchantingdragon) | 110 comments Join us Collin its a wonderful book!

Oh and I apologize in advance but I might be missing for a few days, my 17 month old caught a stomach bug from the babysitter it seems as we have been treated with a glorious night of baby throw up. Im praying my husband and I dont catch this now. If Im not online till the weekend just keep reading if you want and Ill set up the outline as soon as I can get back online. Sorry again!

« previous 1 3 4