If I Stay (If I Stay, #1) If I Stay question

Character Education
Shellie Foltz Shellie Oct 28, 2011 06:56AM
I am getting ready to host a book discussion group for high school students centered on Character Education. Would those of you who have read this book please post some character-centered questions / topics related to this title? Thanks!

J Oct 28, 2011 04:25PM   0 votes
Shellie wrote: "I am getting ready to host a book discussion group for high school students centered on Character Education. Would those of you who have read this book please post some character-centered question..."

Is Mia making a choice or a sacrifice with regard to if she should stay or go? Think about what choice and sacrifice mean--

This story has many examples of internal conflict--discuss some of these conflicts that Mia faces

Foreman makes flashback a wonderful vehicle to deliver the Mia's story through---how well does flashback work for the readers in your group? Does the heavy use of flashback give the reader a better insight as to how she feels about living or dying.

Should the main character ( can't remember her name) determine her post graduation plans because of a boy?

Is the relationship between the boy and girl realistic?

What makes the girl so drawn to this boy even when she realizes differences?

What role does music play in the characters' lives? Is this a common connection?

How do the parents influence the girl's life when it comes to her independence?

Is the girl's final decision realistic?

Hifi (last edited Oct 31, 2011 12:49PM ) Oct 31, 2011 12:49PM   0 votes
What does any of that have to do with character or character education? This is about short-term versus long-term goals, and finding the right balance. There can't be enough focus on this for high school age kids. The book is great for putting a fine edge on it, but I why the sidetrack into character education. Center the discussion around goal setting. Their characters are fine.

Shellie Foltz The book discussion is being hosted by our Character Council and is a means of promoting discussions centered on character education. The books we've ...more
Oct 31, 2011 01:17PM · flag

I would like to join in on this discussion but I don't think I really understand what you mean by "character education." Do you mean:

The decisions regarding actual school education that the characters make in the book?

The education the characters in this book receive regarding their own character (what they learn about themselves).

What the characters teach (or aim to teach) the reader?

Or something else entirely?

Thanks!

Shellie Foltz Thanks for asking for clarification, Kara. In this case, I am looking at using the conflicts and issues in the books to get at discussions of good cha ...more
Oct 31, 2011 02:31PM · flag