Audiobooks discussion

Archives > Freaky Occurances !!!!!

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julie C (new)

Julie C (goldwinger) | 81 comments Ok This is really freaky and I need to know if it happens to other people too or am I just going potty!!!

When listening to Audio Books, words that are listened to quite often appear elsewhere at exactly the same time. This happens to me on a regular basis.

For example today I am writing up minutes to a meeting and listening to a story when the moment I typed BBQ the narrator said 'BBQ'. Matched words have also appeared on signs, hoardings etc.. It happens all the time and they are words that you would not use all the time. I mean not 'it' 'and' etc..

Put me out of my madness please.!!!!!!!!

message 2: by Julie C (new)

Julie C (goldwinger) | 81 comments come on Surely it can't just happen to me!!

Send for the men in White Coats!!!!!!!!!!!

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen White (karenwhiteaudiobooknarrator) | 175 comments Are you sure it's not happening the other way around? You hear the word and nanoseconds later notice the word? That would make sense as the book is heightening your awareness of the words around you (kind of like, when I was pregnant I started noticing all the OTHER pregnant women).
Otherwise, you are tapping into some very interesting form of ESP!

message 4: by Julie C (new)

Julie C (goldwinger) | 81 comments I don't think it matters which way round it happens ( I think it happens both ways) the fact is that it happens all the time.

It's freaking me out.

Either that or it is ESP. LOL!!!!

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 66 comments This has definitely happened to me. Not only words but objects also.

Once I was listening to a description of a Corvette convertible glanced out of my window and there it was almost the same as the book.
Spooky but fun.

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen White (karenwhiteaudiobooknarrator) | 175 comments I wonder if there's a way you could use it to your advantage...

message 7: by Julie C (last edited Oct 28, 2011 10:12AM) (new)

Julie C (goldwinger) | 81 comments Oh thank goodness I'm not the only one.

Michael yes It happens with objects, things appear on the telly too.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't had the object experience (yet) but I have noticed how a particular word sometimes pops up a lot. Lately mine has been "alchemical". Not a word you hear in everyday conversation but I swear my last couple of books (all different genres and authors)have contained this word! What the?

message 9: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) It doesn't happen to be with audio but the dead tree version. I read a word I haven't heard in ages and then it is everywhere.

message 10: by Julie C (new)

Julie C (goldwinger) | 81 comments Not really what I mean but yes this happens too.

message 11: by Janice (new)

Janice For me it has not been words so much as themes, or topics, that seem to crop up in more than one book at the same time, or something in real life echos what I have just read in a book. I have no conscious notion of seeking out books that will have a common thread, and I read a diverse range of books, but I think it still probably has to be some unconscious something that is at work! Or maybe it is the increased sensitivity to that word/subject/object as Karen speculates. I have wondered if others have that experience too, thanks, Julie, for reassuring me that I am not the only one!!

message 12: by Frances (new)

Frances (shibagirl) | 150 comments Tracey wrote: "I haven't had the object experience (yet) but I have noticed how a particular word sometimes pops up a lot. Lately mine has been "alchemical". Not a word you hear in everyday conversation but I s..."

Yes Tracey, the word thing has happened to me several times lately

message 13: by Karen (new)

Karen White (karenwhiteaudiobooknarrator) | 175 comments Esther wrote: "It doesn't happen to be with audio but the dead tree version. I read a word I haven't heard in ages and then it is everywhere."

"The dead tree version" is a new one for me. I'm laughing and crying at the same time.

message 14: by Carol (new)

Carol (zhelicarol) Julie C wrote: "Ok This is really freaky and I need to know if it happens to other people too or am I just going potty!!!

When listening to Audio Books, words that are listened to quite often appear elsewhere a..."

Absolutely, my experience as well! It happens so often, I'm not even amazed anymore.

message 15: by Frances (new)

Frances (shibagirl) | 150 comments wow , I just experienced this , I was looking through some christmas adverts, and listening to a book at the same time , dog was called parker , and at EXACTLY that moment saw the advert for parker pens

message 16: by Julie C (new)

Julie C (goldwinger) | 81 comments I am so glad it isn't just me