Reckoning (Strange Angels, #5) Reckoning discussion

The Ending (Reckoning Spoilers, Obviously)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Becky (last edited Oct 28, 2011 06:52AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Becky Okay, for all you people who got the book early: what did you think of the ending, particularly the "conclusion" to the love triangle?

I'm still thinking this over, so I'm not going to try and vocalize my thoughts yet, but I'd love to hear what everybody else thinks.

ETA: Well, I've had a little time to process this, and I'm still frustrated with the lack of a conclusion in the love triangle. While the feminist in me was glad to see Dru's honesty and growth when she admits that she's not ready for a relationship, I felt like the series overall was a little uneven.

There was a LOT of emphasis on the who-will-she-choose aspect, only to turn around and say, "oh, it's not that important". I mean, there were several books where Sergej didn't even show up until the end, because such a huge chunk of the book focused on Dru's love life.

Part of me wonders if the unevenness was due to a push from the publisher to emphasize the romance, or if the author was just drawing out the series.

I was also bummed by the fact that the book ended just as we saw Dru really growing and maturing, heh. I would have LOVED an adult series chronicling Dru's adventures, even if we never got an answer on Graves vs. Christophe.

Ferdy I'm still not 100% about what I think of the ending.
I did think it was realistic that Dru didn't choose 'the one' because she's still only a teenager but the triangle was a huge part of the series and it's just left unresolved so I feel a bit cheated.. unless of course their some spin off books which let us know Dru's future.. but i'm not holding my breath.
I was a bit underwhelmed by Graves I didn't feel like he fought for Dru, I know he had a lot going on but I was like fight for your woman.
I love love love what Dru said to Christophe at the end about him being too old and it being creepy that he was all over her mom and how he was all over her now.. Christophe's silence to Dru saying this spoke volumes to me-because he knew it was creepy to have been all over her mother and then to hit on the teenage daughter, I also felt that he couldn't explain his relationship with her mother because he had genuine lusty and romantic feelings for her mother and he knew if he did tell the truth he would have no chance with Dru.
Also when Dru says to Christophe that his feelings for her was because she could kill Sergei he flinches because what she was saying was true..
I don't really know what to think of Christophe after all this, their's no doubt he has feelings for her but his feelings stem from the fact she is a Schevota, that she can kill Sergei, that she's young and innocent(unlike Anna)and because of who her mother was and not because of Dru herself.. which is illustrated when they first meet as he's all over her and has strong feelings for her and he doesn't even know her.
At least with Graves he loves Dru because of her and not because of her being schevota, being able to kill Sergei or because of her mother.

...that's my interpretation anyway.

message 3: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda Honestly, I finished the book, sat there, and then i got really cranky!!!!

I've been waiting for Reckoning for what feels like ages-the amount of suspense built up for the conclusion of this series was insane, especially with all of the unanswered questions...that are still unanswered!! :/

There was so much background knowledge within this book that I loved, but am still left wondering about, like what's up with the whole bonding thing and what are the "two reasons why Christophe smells the way he does to Dru", are they bonded because they drank each other's blood, and is that why they have this serious chemistry whenever they kiss or have some sort of connection with each other?"

And that's just the tip of the iceberg!!

Throughout the entire series, there was always that underlying question of who Dru will end up with. Jealousy and Defiance were practically all about her developing relationship with Christophe, and her losing and then searching for (whilst mouring for) Graves- but then, when the story finishes, she's "not ready for a relationship. With anybody".

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the independent woman, Dru's ability to be totally badass was one of my favourite aspects of this book, and I understand that it's realistic for her to not be ready, but I honestly think that leaving us hanging like that was a bit of a cop-out.

But maybe I'm so cranky just because I'm totally all for Christophe/ Dru, even though I had this aching feeling that she mightn't end up with him...I was pretty sure my heart would break right along with his if she chose Graves!!

And then when I was still freaked about the whole "I love you" and "I'm coming back for you" exchange between Dru and Graves, we're thrown this whole part sorceress thing...I mean ,grrrrr!!

I'm still unable to empathize with Dru as to why she would choose Graves over Christophe...which is the vibe I got, because I've always interpreted Dru and Graves relationship as being more platonic, or bestfriend worthy.

I mean, I really don't get why she doesn't even know if she'll give Christophe a chance. The whole trust thing is rendered moot because of the amounts of times he's practically killed himself saving her, and he only ever does anything with her best interests in mind, but he'll change it when she seriously tells him no. Then there's the "all over my mother thing". I don't really believe he was in love with her mother, and I can't actually remember whether or not he kissed her, but I do think that they were only really ever bestfriends. I then move onto the age thing, because in a society where you can live forever, unchanging, from the age of 16, I can't help but think that if the two people are equally mature and are 'in love', I can't help but feel as though it doesn't really matter. I mean, Dru will be as old as him one day, and he'll still be older than her, but they'll both be in their hundreds, there's a point where it just doesn't matter, right? And that's another reason why I,m not so freaked by the whole mum thing, beacuse if the guy's around for hundreds of years, he's gonna lust after someone, right, and it makes sense that this person be someone who was as acclaimed as Dru's Mum...and I still maintain that he doesn't love Dru because she's Schevota or because she looks like her Mum, because she's also got the whole Dad look thing going on, as well as the complete personality contrast between her and her Mum, and then there's the actual explanation and denial of such feelings from Christophe in moments which are not only totally sweet and romantic, but just one of those moments where you can't really have a character lie in them and still be a 'good guy'....

I may have over analysed this, but hey, those are my thoughts!! :p

Overall, I really did love this series-as well as the awesome manner in which Dru kicked Sergei's ass, but I'm still unsettled over the lack of closure by way of relationships (I though of it as a rather important part of the series, right?!)

Where's my closure St Crow???? :(

Becky Unfortunately, this book was a disappointment. I wasn't against the idea of Dru being alone, but I wanted to see her take more control of her own life. Instead, it was just more of Dru reacting to the things beyond her control, and labeling herself as "grown up" because of it. How was the ending any different than what Dru's been doing for the entire series, exactly?

The book came very close to a solid concept, but backed off at the last minute, presumably because they didn't want to completely cut out the possibility of a romantic pairing. Instead of actually giving a sense of closure, they left it open enough that everybody can pretend they got the ending they wanted. (Kind of like Choose-Your-Own adventure books!)

It's a little ridiculous that St. Crow called it a "realistic" ending, considering the over-the-top Dru-worship going on at the end. Dru was an appealing protagonist because she had FLAWS, which basically gets glossed over at the end.

Ugh. There were so many places this book could have gone, but it just lost its momentum.

message 5: by Deena Beena (new)

Deena Beena She just had to make Graves leave didn't she? -.-

Reagan I'm hugely disappointed. I will be so unhappy if there is no type of continuation. I feel like the ending was so forced, and there is absolutely no closure. Dru claims she has grown up, but not enough to make a decision about her love triangle? Sure she is young, but she has been leading them both on. She fought and cut off Christophe pretty much every time he tried to say something. There was such a huge build up to her telling Christophe how she felt about him...and then it went nowhere. I feel like he never got a chance to explain anything, after the strong connection they had in the previous book. Dru acts like shes going to reject him but then is still indecisive because she likes having the option, which is quite selfish. I think he flinched because it hurt him that Dru thought that he was just using her.

I could rant about the love triangle all day, but there were other issues with tying up loose ends. What happens to poor Ash? Does Graves keep his promise? What about the Maharaj! There are major hints about her lineage but nothing is ever explained. Who was her grandmother really? Is the Order on the brink of another war? Will another vampire king emerge? There are too many questions to name.

The whole book, like the rest in the series, had huge suspension and leads up to a cliff hanger moments. Good book, yes. Good series ending, no. I just feel cheated and led on. No closure, I really want to see who she gets together with, since that was a huge part of the series.

message 7: by Deena Beena (new)

Deena Beena It was like sand slipping through my fingers. -.-

Becky Amelia: I know! The series definitely emphasized the love triangle, yet suddenly it wasn't important in the last few chapters.

I think I could live with the failure to solve the love triangle IF we had any indication that Dru really has matured at the end of the novel. Yet all we really had was Dru's insistence that she had, in fact, grown up. It ends so abruptly that we really have no idea if she's changed or not (and her decision to lead on Christophe made me seriously skeptical of her claim about being an adult).

Charmeddegon: I'm not sure how I'd feel if St. Crow does continue the series. On the one hand, there's a ton of stuff left hanging at the end of this book. On the other hand, cheated is a good way to describe how I felt too, and I'm not sure I want to keep giving her my money. ;)

I expected there would be some things left open to interpretation, but there was NO conclusion at all. The last few chapters felt like the author just sort of gave up and was getting ready to move on to something different.

Deena Beena: That's a good comparison! It had so much potential to be awesome, yet it just fell short. *sigh*

Summer As with the rest of you, I am greatly disappointed. I was SO excited for this book and then the ending fell flat. In a post Lili StCrow made she said something along the lines of "this isn't about which boy she will choose, it's about her growing up" and it's awesome it's about her growing up but then why put SO much emphasis on the love triangle! The ending was maddening. I just wish I would have known sooner this wasn't going to be the love story she made it out to be.

Here is the post I was talking about
http://www.lilithsaintcrow.com/forum/...

Becky Summer- I saw that post after reading this book! I don't know that I would've been against a series focusing on Dru growing up, but I'm not sure we ever got that. Even at the end, we never really see how much Dru has really changed. She says she has, but has no problem leading Christophe on, even when she admits to herself she's essentially rejecting him. What do you think?

To me, at least, it felt like a romance that decided in the last 20 pages it wanted to be a coming-of-age story, and as a result, it didn't really work as either.

Summer Becky- I completely agree. If she wanted it to be about Dru growing up, she should have focused more on that. Instead, it felt much more focused on the love triangle. Even if it was more focused on Dru growing up, in the end it seemed like she was exactly the same. I don't see how her "rejecting" Christophe made her more "grown up" it just made her seem like a jerk for leading him on. Plus, at first, she still refused to meet with the Maharaj just as she would more towards the beginning of the series. It was only after a lot of convincing that she met with them. That just doesn't seem so much more "grown up" to me.

message 12: by Carla (new)

Carla So she didn't choose anyone?! I didn't read the book and now I'm definetly not going to after this. I mean, come on... "she's isn't read for a relationship!?" give me a break... seriously?! I kind of lost my respect for this author, the feeling I get is that she was afraid to make a choice, to disapoint some fans or whatever... and look what she got, she disapointed almost everybody. Everyone was hoping to get a conclusion about all this but no...
Like you guys said, the love triangle wasn't a small thing in this story, actualy was a big deal. And she left a lot of things hanging in the end. That is not fair.

Well I was just following this books because of Christophe, he's the only character that I like. And even if Chris wasn't Dru's choice, I would still read it because of their journey, because of the conclusions. But after this, what's is the point of reading this book? That was an easy way for St Crow get out of this situation. Ridiculous.

message 13: by Carla (new)

Carla Becky wrote: How was the ending any different than what Dru's been doing for the entire series, exactly? ..."

Exactly! Because she's always expecting someone to resolve her problems. I hate this. She just started to move at the end... wtf!

And I totally agree with you guys. I'm not against the idea of a growing up story, but why she focused so much in this romance thing!? We feel cheated, because she was giving us hope, making us believe that this would be about a choice thing, and it didn't.
She should have focused more about her jorney, without all the love triangle.
She shoud have been more honest with all the story and with us.

Becky Carla wrote:
Exactly! Because she's always expecting someone to resolve her problems. I hate this..."

Even at the end of the novel, Dru just keeps going with the flow. She agrees to help the Order, even though she clearly doesn't want to, seemingly because she's not sure what else to do. (Isn't the Order supposed to be important? Why couldn't they find somebody who actually WANTED to do it?) She admits to herself that she's basically rejecting Christophe, but isn't willing to completely cut him out of the equation, because hey, a girl needs options (okay, not her words, but it's not a flattering moment for Dru).

Carla wrote:
"But after this, what's is the point of reading this book? That was an easy way for St Crow get out of this situation. Ridiculous."

I actually read the ending, and thought wow, what a cop-out. If anything, it's about as unrealistic as a happily-ever-after ending, because even here, the majority of Dru's decisions are made for her. Graves leaves, Hiro begs her to help the Order, and Christophe tells her he's essentially okay with being the second choice if Graves doesn't come back.

Summer wrote: "Plus, at first, she still refused to meet with the Maharaj just as she would more towards the beginning of the series. It was only after a lot of convincing that she met with them. That just doesn't seem so much more "grown up" to me".

You make a really good point. Unfortunately, that whole scene didn't seem encouraging to me. What exactly has Dru done so far to make them think she's going to be beneficial to the Order, other than kill Sergej?

Tennae extremely anticlimactic

message 16: by Carla (new)

Carla Becky wrote: Christophe tells her he's essentially okay with being the second choice if Graves doesn't come back..."

Ow Christophe.. why he said something like that!? He must love her more than I thought. But it makes me sad. He don't deserves to be a second choice, he deserves so much more. To be loved just the way he is. Which Dru never did. Actually Chris AND Graves deserves this. Dru was great sometimes but she never knew what she wants, who she is even when all this madness started. A spin off about Chris or Graves finding a real love could be nice. But now I can say that I wolud be afraid of reading a new book of her, maybe it would be another story without conclusion... who knows!?

Becky To be clear, Christophe says that he's willing to wait for Dru, and that he's patient. The problem was that Dru had just finished begging Graves to stay (and telling him she loved him), so it was pretty apparent that Dru's feelings for Graves were stronger than hers for Christophe. Which MIGHT have worked, if Dru actually came out and admitted this to Christophe, instead of telling him she "wasn't ready for a relationship with anyone" while privately admitting to herself that she was rejecting him.

Honestly, Dru is about as wishy-washy as ever at the end of the book, but labels herself as "grown-up" anyway. If anything, Christophe AND Graves showed more maturity and growth than Dru did, which is pretty weird for a novel that's supposed to focus on Dru's transition into adulthood.

message 18: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy I just feel like now we'll never know...

Reagan Amy wrote: "I just feel like now we'll never know..."

I know! Even though I finished the book last week I'm still pretty upset :/ it was my favorite series and now I don't know what to feel.

Summer Ugh, I'm just STILL so disappointed after a week! Even if she maybe didn't want to make a choice between the two guys in fear of upsetting some people (though that probably wasn't the case). EITHER choice would have been much better than no choice at all. Honestly at this point I think anyone would much rather have had Dru choose the guy they didn't want her to choose. That would have been much better. Personally, I liked both the boys in different ways and was really excited to see how everything played out and who she would ultimately choose.

message 21: by Carla (new)

Carla You know, actually Dru made choice. I'm not talking about who she choose to date, but who she loves. The truth is, she loves Graves, she knows that. I realized this in Jealousy. She never loved Chris. =/ So, in her heart we kind of know who is the guy. I rooted for Chris, but deep inside, I always knew he never stood a chance with her. And yeah I would rather see Dru making a choice than nothing at all.

Abigail Jones I thought that it was kind of cool that this book didn't have a distinguied ending to the love triangle. Most books I've read, she's always ends up abandoning one and going crazy for the other, and in this one she was just like, 'like you both, but, eh, I don't really want it and the mo'.
I sort of feel like there should be another book, though, to tie up the ends with Graves and stuff; I mean, he diappeared into the mountains because he was broken emotionally, and then, the end? :/
Ahh well, it was pretty good. Love Christophe. ;)

Summer Carla- Yeah, I get that she pretty much picked Graves. Personally, i just don't like how it was done :/. I feel like maybe she rushed writing the ending or something? She had even said she was trying to get back to her adult books. I don't know i just wish things would have been tied up a little bit better. Like maybe not just brushing off Christophe while he was in his hospital bed after he just risked his life for Dru. Now THAT doesn't seem like a very "grown up" thing to do lol.

Tanya What frustrated me was I finally got my scene where Dru admits to Graves she loves him, and he admits he loves her and tells her he needs to leave for a while to get his crap together, to become worthy of her and she makes him promise to come back to her.
and then two chapters later she tells Chistophe she cant make a firm decision about dating anyone.
What the hell?
What if Graves had stayed? What would she be telling Christophe then?
I mean either you love Graves or you dont..be decisive!
And as much as I dislike Christophe I wonder what he would have done with that information?

Why create and feed this love triangle for the whole series only to punk out at the end?

Pfffft..

Becky Carla: While I do think that Dru initially chose Graves, she seemed to second guess her decision once it became clear he was leaving. If she cared deeply for Graves, why not be honest with Christophe? If Dru wants to pick Graves, have her PICK him, not back off at the last possible second.

Tanya wrote: "and then two chapters later she tells Chistophe she cant make a firm decision about dating anyone.What the hell? "

Exactly. Either she's lying to spare Christophe's feelings, or she doesn't really love Graves as much as she says, because she was pretty definite about wanting a relationship with Graves.

On another point, I was also a little disgusted with Dru's comment about deciding to help the Order, something about "having something to show" when Graves came back. If Dru is supposed to be mature, shouldn't she be motivated by a desire to, I don't know, HELP people?

It really felt like the author had already moved on and wanted to get this series wrapped up, fast.

message 26: by Reagan (last edited Nov 11, 2011 02:08PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Reagan http://www.lilithsaintcrow.com/journa...

I guess that is that. If she does write a book with Dru grown up, that would make me satisfied. St. Crow succeeded in making the reader care, but then she didn't give enough. If I believe hard enough maybe I can make up my own ending and tie up the loose ends however I want.

She's right in a way though, I guess it's not all about who she gets together with (even though I wish it was lol and it sure seemed like it). If she ended it differently she would have betrayed the readers? I don't think so :/

Rebecca I really wish this wasnt the last book. It too many lose ends I felt. I really hope she changes her mind and writes another

Tanya I read that blog post and as firmly as she stands by the "Dru didnt have to end up with anyone" I stand by my statement that the book still reads like she'd hedging her bets.
Because Dru DIDN'T choose herself over either guy.
She told Graves she loved him and demanded his return to her (so in essence she DID choose Graves, he just left to get his crap together)...but where it lost it for me is that when Chistophe asked if he had a chance she didn't tell him that she loved Graves.
Cop out.

✿ℎazℯℓ - thℯ ℛock Cℎick ℱairy✿ The main reason why i read fiction novels is because i sometimes wanna escape reality and just be happy with made-up characters. I started reading Strange Angels only this year and i was so happy to know that the last book was coming out the same year i started. I was soooo happy with the whole series so far until the end of the fifth book came. I guess i'm one of the readers who felt like they wanted to throw the book away or maybe return it to wherever it came from. Maybe the author wanted to give us readers a choice on the ending like some imaginary ending for ourselves... but to me, it's a whole different scenario. I'm not judging the author's reason for putting such ending. I'm just saying that as a fiction reader with a goal like mine (that is, to be happy after reading a book)... i didn't feel happy at all. I felt disappointed and sad. I will definitely look out for fan fictions (as I've said on another discussion here somewhere) which will give me a good closure for this book. Honestly.. i just wish i didn't have to do that at all.. i wish the author would have written an ending wherein she chooses one of the guys.. i don't even care which one anymore even though i am a solid team Graves. I guess sometimes we just don't really get what we want.. =(

message 30: by Becky (last edited Nov 16, 2011 05:04PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Becky Hazel, absolutely. There's a certain amount of escapism in YA PNR, one that St. Crow plays on in the first four books. Dru is suddenly accompanied by two gorgeous guys, discovers she's inherently powerful and beautiful, and joins an organization focused on fighting vampires. Honestly, it seems silly to claim there ISN'T an element of escapism in these books.

Tanya: I agree, I don't think Dru really chose ANYBODY, and that includes herself. She clearly wanted to choose Graves, but it felt like the author didn't want to upset Christophe fans too much, and so we got a half-assed ending.

I think the ending, and St. Crow's justification for it, is disappointing not just because of the lack of closure in the love triangle, but because the overall message of the books seems to be, "well, sh*t happens". Heck, Graves practically says that at the end of the book. There's no overall feeling that we got anywhere--Dru claims to have grown but doesn't really back it up, and Graves (who actually seemed to be growing as a character back in Betrayals) suddenly tells us he's too messed up to be with Dru, and just hightails it out of there.

message 31: by Victoria (new) - added it

Victoria this was upsetting i hate that it just ended with graves leaving that just broke my heart but i knew that in her heart she choose graves but i still would have liked to see it played out!!!! i really hope there somehow another book!!! oH PLEASE MAKE ANOTHER BOOK LILI!!!
but yeah over all it was pretty freaking awesome except the whole love triangle thing and the fact that they didnt reveal her name!!! like omg what the hell i thought they were supposed to reveal that in the last book!!! and that also kinda makes me think that there somehow is gonna be another book because of the fact that they didnt reveal her full name....but hey at this pont idk!! a girl can hope cant she!?
all in all graves is the one i always stook by i mean christophe is cool and what not but i just never felt anything as more than a rescuer for him a good friend.... well those are my thought..... :)

Denise I think the ending with the triangle was fitting. The girl is only 16, why does everyone expect her to chose "the one"? She made a very adult decission and was honest with Christophe. Christophe (although is centries old) needs to grow up a bit himself, now that his dad is no longer a constant pain in his life.

What upset me was, it did not feel like the end. There is still room for the characters to grow, issues to deal with, things to learn. And most if it does not have to deal with Christophe or Graves. I'd have like to find out what Dru learned about her grandmothers heritage and magic. What that culture is like. See how she changes the councel and schola (I have vsions of her putting some wulfen on the coucel). See if they find any more svetocha. I'm just not ready for it to end..I want to continue to watch Dru grow up into what the schola need and possible what the Maharaj needs too. I feel slightly cheated. But I do want to state this, Thank you Lili St. Crow for writing not only this wonderful series but the Dante Valentine one too.

Becky Denise: I agree that Dru's age is an important factor, since you're right, she really can't commit to anybody yet. I think we differ on Dru making an adult decision at the end, though, mostly because I felt like Dru was just as indecisive as ever. She clearly wanted Graves, but she stopped short of actually telling that to Christophe, and even admits to herself that she's rejecting him without actually saying the words out loud to him.

If Dru had told Graves she wasn't ready for a relationship, it would have been a clearer indication of the change she supposedly went through. Or, alternatively, if she had been upfront with Christophe about her feelings for Graves, instead of misleading him when she didn't think he stood a chance.

message 34: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina Rebecca wrote: "I really wish this wasnt the last book. It too many lose ends I felt. I really hope she changes her mind and writes another"

I know. I'm frustrated right now and she could do the ending like J.K.Rowlling in last Harry Potter with last chapter,I would be satisfied with that.

Rebecca Tina wrote: "Rebecca wrote: "I really wish this wasnt the last book. It too many lose ends I felt. I really hope she changes her mind and writes another"

I know. I'm frustrated right now and she could do the e..."

SAME!! that would be so much better

Denise Your right that she copped out and did not flat out tell Christoph no there was no chance, but I think there is still a small part of her drawn to him, and with what Graves was going through who knew if he would come back to her. So you're right she did not deal with Christoph with upmost maturity (but there are a lot of adults that have acted worse). She handled it better than most 16 year olds would.

Marielle It frustrated me that she didn't tell us who Dru picked! There should have been an epilogue or something of Dru's later life that told us how she turned out or who she chose. Even though this book claims it is the last one, I seriously hope it isn't. I loved this series and I want it to keep going like the Mortal Instruments series did!! Don't leave us hanging like this Lili St. Crow!! Please?

Ferdy I've come up with my own ending.. where dru dates a few different guys-has a few flings, a couple of passionate affairs, a steady relationship or two, has her heart broken, breaks other guys hearts.. and then she meets the one - Gristophe - Yes Graves and Christoph are now magically 1 person.. everyone's happy!

✿ℎazℯℓ - thℯ ℛock Cℎick ℱairy✿ Ferdy wrote: "I've come up with my own ending.. where dru dates a few different guys-has a few flings, a couple of passionate affairs, a steady relationship or two, has her heart broken, breaks other guys hearts..."

Gah! you actually made me laugh. haha! thanks for that ending =)

message 40: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina Amelia wrote: "Honestly, I finished the book, sat there, and then i got really cranky!!!!

I've been waiting for Reckoning for what feels like ages-the amount of suspense built up for the conclusion of this serie..."

I totally agree with you on everything you said,also I would add that I think that the author didn't really stick to her original theme which is Dru growing up, she got to cought up in that love triangle.
The ending is the way it is only that the book somehow ends up.

message 41: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda Ferdy wrote: "I've come up with my own ending.. where dru dates a few different guys-has a few flings, a couple of passionate affairs, a steady relationship or two, has her heart broken, breaks other guys hearts..."

Ha ha, I'm still laughing like 10 seconds later. I never do that!!

You totally made me feel better about this ending because they are equally comical!!

Sidrah I was soo sad when Graves left and when dru wouldn't give Christophe a chance. Most love triangle I read end in the girl picking the first boy, in this case grave but this had a nice but sad twist to it. I hope Lili make a spin off series about Graves and when he leaves.

I would rate this 9/10. Even with the twist it was great, still wish she picked Graves and didn't leave.

message 43: by Nhi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nhi Becky wrote: "To be clear, Christophe says that he's willing to wait for Dru, and that he's patient. The problem was that Dru had just finished begging Graves to stay (and telling him she loved him), so it was p..."

Tanya wrote: "What frustrated me was I finally got my scene where Dru admits to Graves she loves him, and he admits he loves her and tells her he needs to leave for a while to get his crap together, to become wo..."

Tanya wrote: "I read that blog post and as firmly as she stands by the "Dru didnt have to end up with anyone" I stand by my statement that the book still reads like she'd hedging her bets.
Because Dru DIDN'T ch..."

If I could physically love and marry ALL of your replies, I would! Totally agree with everything you guys said there.

Melissa WHAT?! WHAT THE BLOODY CHOCOLATE FUDGE?!?!?!?! I haven't read the book yet but I'm not so sure I should be chasing it so much right now that I know that Dru isn't going to choose either Christophe or Graves...

I'm with Christophe TOTALLY by the ways.

WHAT WAS ST. CLAIRE THINKING? (MeThinks: St. Claire is nuts. period.)

Now. I'm gonna say EVERY SANE AND INSANE REASON why Dru and Christophe should be together forever, and by the ways? This is for the Dru and Graves fans, and I am sincerely hoping you'd go to our side...

SANE AND/OR INSANE REASONS WHY IT SHOULD BE CHRISTOPHE AND DRU IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER:

O_o: In the first four books, Dru and Graves only had, I dunno, one kiss? Whereas Dru and Christophe had about seven kisses (yes, I counted). Plus, there seems to be more Chru than Draves.

MeThinks: If Lili was planning for it to be Graves+Dru, don't you think she would've put more Graves+Dru in the books?

This is only the 1st reason. Stay in tune for more!

message 45: by Nhi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nhi Melissa wrote: "WHAT?! WHAT THE BLOODY CHOCOLATE FUDGE?!?!?!?! I haven't read the book yet but I'm not so sure I should be chasing it so much right now that I know that Dru isn't going to choose either Christophe ..."

Look I am not going to judge you for being all Team Christophe. If that is what makes you happy, then good for you. But for me, I don't think I'm going to "switch sides" anytime soon...

In the first four books, Dru and Graves only had, I dunno, one kiss? Whereas Dru and Christophe had about seven kisses (yes, I counted). Plus, there seems to be more Chru than Draves.

1. Erm... maybe this is just me, but I prefer my romances to be built on something far more substantial like mutual trust, respect, support and most importantly - love. I like to believe Dru/Graves had this - especially since their relationship progressed from a close friendship. I don't know, this is a much bigger factor for me to "ship" a couple together than how many times the two leads have swapped spit.

MeThinks: If Lili was planning for it to be Graves+Dru, don't you think she would've put more Graves+Dru in the books?

2. Shouldn't it matter more than the moments Dru has with either guy is more important to the plot and to the growth of their characters?

I think the whole point of why we don't get as much scenes with Graves/Dru was to show how poignant every moment is with each other - especially with the whole Sergei looking for Dru. There's a ticking bomb attached to it. We don't know if Sergei will get to her or not. We don't know if either one could die from him or something else in the process. We see this even way back in Strange Angels where she and Graves have to rely on each other when the werewolf/other paranormal creatures come after them.

I don't know, but for me - most of the moments Christophe has with Dru just seem to show how condescending he is towards her and doesn't really "love" her for her. And while she admits to being attracted to him (seemingly more so on a physical level. I mean how many times in the whole series does she keep commenting on how good looking is he and how nice he smells) - she is still creeped out/frightened by him at some level. Which for me, doesn't really show it's a start of a beautiful relationship...

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Dru did say 'I love you' and demand Graves to return from his trip at the end of Reckoning. If that isn't enough confirmation, I don't know what is. (view spoiler)

message 46: by Deena Beena (new)

Deena Beena nxlee wrote: "Melissa wrote: "WHAT?! WHAT THE BLOODY CHOCOLATE FUDGE?!?!?!?! I haven't read the book yet but I'm not so sure I should be chasing it so much right now that I know that Dru isn't going to choose ei..."

That's exactly what I look for in a 'ship'. The ship is boring if its foundation is based on "He smells nice" or "He's very handsome" and to me, the kisses that Christophe and Dru shared were so out of context.. They were just so random.. I thought your points were excellent and I agree with all of them. Good job.

Just to confirm, I ship graves and Dru. (:

Melissa nxlee wrote: "Melissa wrote: "WHAT?! WHAT THE BLOODY CHOCOLATE FUDGE?!?!?!?! I haven't read the book yet but I'm not so sure I should be chasing it so much right now that I know that Dru isn't going to choose ei..."
Oh fineee.....

BTW, I thought I mentioned I haven't read the book yet so Dru told Graves the 'L' word? Sh-okayyyyyyy.

I hope u don't mind me asking, did Dru tell Chris she loved 'im 2 in Reckoning? If not, well, one point to Draves then.

Ah well. It is true that in real life it's usually the childhood friends who marry, though in this case, it's just that they were friends before they knew Chris. But still...

Ahhhh choco FUDGE. I guess I have 2 read the book after all. :P

Anywayz...LILITH JUST MAKE BOOK SIX ALREADY OR AT LEAST SOMEBODY OUT THERE MAKE A MOVIE AND IMPROVISE UR OWN STRANGE ANGELS SIX COME ON!!!!

O_o:

Becky Melissa wrote: "nxlee wrote: "I hope u don't mind me asking, did Dru tell Chris she loved 'im 2 in Reckoning?"

Dru tells Graves she loves him, but not Christophe. I think what bothered most people (including me), though, was that she never makes her feelings about Graves known to Christophe. She basically just lets Christophe think he might have a chance with her so he won't leave, even as she privately admits to herself that she's rejecting him.

All in all, not a very good end to an otherwise promising series.

message 49: by Nhi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nhi Melissa wrote: "nxlee wrote: "Melissa wrote: "WHAT?! WHAT THE BLOODY CHOCOLATE FUDGE?!?!?!?! I haven't read the book yet but I'm not so sure I should be chasing it so much right now that I know that Dru isn't goin..."

I'm pretty sure you and I'm so sorry that I didn't add spoiler tags or anything. I guess I did kind of get carried away there... My apologies! *hopeful face*

And no, she never does tell Christophe. Like Becky said - the thing that annoyed me about Dru was that, essentially she never lets Christophe know that she loved Graves and not him... in that way. Dude, as much as I am not a big fan of Christophe, after all he did for her - even he doesn't deserve to be treated like that. That Dru deserves a good smack over the head from me.

(view spoiler)

message 50: by Dana (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dana Can I just jump into this discussion? I read this series in less than a week while sick, and the ending left me frustrated. I didn't care who she chose...I just felt the characters were left hanging. Does Graves get himself together and return? What happens to Christophe who was willing to die for Dru? What about Ash and the ohter wolves? UGh!

« previous 1