Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Friday Questions > question #77; Boo!

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Faye (new)

Faye | 673 comments Mod
Well you know next week is Hallowe'en here in North America. Anyone reading something spooky and spinechilling? How is it? Do you have any recommendations along the theme?

message 2: by Diane (new)

Diane | 56 comments Not really spooky or spine tingling, but I am starting Ghost at Work by Carolyn G Hart. It is the first in her Bailey Ruth Raeburn series about a ghost/ sleuth.

message 3: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 394 comments I've just started The Small Hand by Susan Hill - I hope its as good as her 'The Woman in Black' which really made my heart race!

message 4: by Naomi V (new)

Naomi V (naomi_v) | 565 comments i'm reading Zone One by Colson Whitehead, a zombie novel, but not your typical zombie fare. it's scarier than the usual shuffle-and-eat zombie tale, because it's on a more human scale.

message 5: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 335 comments I'm a little late to the party but in honor of Halloween I have been revisiting some of my favorite spooky books from childhood and reading a few I didn't read back then. I have read and am currently reading:

The Thing at the Foot of the Bed, The Ghost Next Door, The House with a Clock in it's Walls, and Wait Till Helen Comes.

I also read We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson which was awesome!

message 6: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 394 comments The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson is also brilliant - and the film based on it The Haunting (1960's version) one of my all time faves.

message 7: by Faye (new)

Faye | 673 comments Mod
These Shirley Jackson books look interesting, but short with somewhat cartoony cover art. Are they YA?

message 8: by Donna (last edited Nov 01, 2011 11:53AM) (new)

Donna | 1350 comments Mine too Maggie. Still one of the scariest movies ever. I starteD "Halfway to the Grave". Vampires... Oooh, scary....

message 9: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 394 comments No they're definitely not YA! I still think its one of the scariest movies - and there's actually no blood, gore etc - all suggested - brilliant!

message 10: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1350 comments My childhood bedroom shared the wall with the long hallway to the back of the house. For months after I made them watch it my brothers would hit the wall as they headed down the hall. Bastiges.

message 11: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 394 comments So scary - and that scene where (can't remember name) says let go of my hand - and no-one is holding her hand!

Talking of which - finished the Small Hand this afternoon - beautifully written, spooky - didnt scare me as much as The Woman in Black though. I'd still recommend it.

message 12: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 335 comments Loved The Haunting of Hill House! It was so well done, much more psychological than true horror-Jackson is masterful. I think it was Eleanor who says let go of my hand-I get goosebumps thinking about it!

message 13: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 394 comments Yes - Eleanor. So do I!!

message 14: by michelle+8 (new)

michelle+8 (michelleplus8) Joanie wrote: "I'm a little late to the party but in honor of Halloween I have been revisiting some of my favorite spooky books from childhood and reading a few I didn't read back then. I have read and am currently reading:

...The Ghost Next Door..."

The Ghost Next Door was one of my FAVORITE RL Stine books, EVER! It was the first time I had ever read that particular twist, and it was so awesome that I still remember it almost 20 years later!

message 15: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 408 comments While my book club read Dracula for Halloween (which was excellent!), I read Coraline by Neil Gaiman. It's YA, but I enjoy Gaiman's wonderful imagination. I thought the book was very clever, nicely creepy, and a great read.