Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Series > Guy Friends and the Girls They Love

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily (bookqueen79) Does anybody else feel bad for the best friends? Examples: Jacob and Bella, Simon and Clary. These guys totally fall in love with these girls and are there to support them and be there for them and then they are left in the lurch when the girl falls for the hot, totally-has-baggage guy. Any thoughts? Any more examples?

message 2: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments When I saw the title I thought it was going to be the opposite. I agree with you, here is thisgreat friend, who is better for them, but the girl goes to the wrong one!! Bothers me, i'mpraying that isnt' what happens for Nightshade (supporting ren!). I sometimes I wish that I could reach through the book and be like what are you doing!

message 3: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 578 comments In some ways I agree and in other ways...not so much. I think in certain cases (i.e. Simon&Clary), they have been friends forever, but the guy never tries to advance the relationship until all of a sudden theres competition. To me thats really lame and if I was that girl I'd be wondering why he never had the balls to say anything. I actually get really mad with the BFs because if it was me, I would be sad not to be chosen, but I would want my BF to be happy and if the other guy made her happy and he wasn't a complete tool, then I would just try to be happy for them. But the friends never do this, they get mad and then they start acting like jerks, which is really annoying. Another good example of this is the Iron Fey series.

Nightshade is a little different and I confess that my opinion has gone back and forth between who I want Calla to choose. Even now after finishing Wolfsbane, I'm still kinda undecided.

✿ℎazℯℓ - thℯ ℛock Cℎick ℱairy✿ (haze09) | 4 comments Another example is Schuyler and Oliver of Blue Bloods. They've been bestfriends ever since but Oliver is just kinda always there.It didn't make Oliver go crazy when Jack came into the picture though so i don't get to hate him. I like how he handled himself. Yes, i felt bad for Simon of Mortal Instruments but hey, everything worked out well for him right? he now has two girls. haha

message 5: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments True Bethany, I agree if the guy is there not making a move and just dont' have the balls that is a whole another story. Oh no nightshade series I have a concret answer for that one hahaha

message 6: by Emily (new)

Emily (bookqueen79) I suppose, in the end, the BF gets a nice tidy ending, but I wonder what the story would be like if the girl realized that it's really the BF she should really be with and not the dysfunctional hero. Or if the BF did get the balls to show her how much he loves her and puts the dysfunctional guy in his place.

message 7: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments NOW that is a story that should be written!!!

message 8: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I think it's just our times. In the 80's and 90's it was all about the movies and tv shows where the girl realizes her nerdy best friend is the catch. (Some Kind of Wonderful, Drive me Crazy...), not it seems were all about winning the popular guy.

message 9: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments Thats a sad thought...

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Hey now... Peeta is not the popular guy!

message 11: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Peeta is the exception. One that I thought was refreshing and super awesome. But that doesn't seem like the norm for YA books. (especially paranormals).

message 12: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments who is peeta??

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Ottilie wrote: "who is peeta??"

Hunger Games.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Wendy F wrote: "Peeta is the exception. One that I thought was refreshing and super awesome. But that doesn't seem like the norm for YA books. (especially paranormals)."

Very true.

message 15: by Emily (new)

Emily (bookqueen79) I agree, Peeta does seem to be the exception. It is rare that the nerdy or counter-culture guy succeeds. What do people think about crossing "class" lines. Like in Nevermore with the cheerleader and the goth?

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) I just read Ready Player One by Ernest Cline and it is all about the nerdy guy winning. Loved it.

message 17: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments Ah okay

message 18: by cza Lobiano (new)

cza Lobiano | 4 comments i need books where the NERDY GUYS gets the hot girls pleaseeeee

message 19: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 99 comments Lol here's one, pretty funny, the guy has manboobs but gets the girl : Sweet Blood of Mine (Overworld Chronicles #1) by John Corwin

message 20: by cza Lobiano (new)

cza Lobiano | 4 comments David wrote: "Lol here's one, pretty funny, the guy has manboobs but gets the girl : Sweet Blood of Mine (Overworld Chronicles #1) by John Corwin"

gonna read that one lol

message 21: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 99 comments Haha cool, I think you'll like it ;)

message 22: by cza Lobiano (new)

cza Lobiano | 4 comments David wrote: "Haha cool, I think you'll like it ;)"

i think i'll surely will! thanks! =)

message 23: by Allison (new)

Allison Landers | 1 comments But Peeta is not the best friend, Gale is.