Ancient & Medieval Historical Fiction discussion

Bronze & Iron Ages (3400-800BC) > Troy /Anatolia/Turkey

Comments Showing 1-50 of 114 (114 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Oct 27, 2011 06:40PM) (new)

Terri | 19509 comments In honour of Dawn who mentioned in the Viking thread that she is going to read the 3rd book in the Saxon Series, Lords of the North any day now, I have decided to read a book she gave 5 stars to. A book by a favourite author of hers.
Only, I can't get to it until December. LOL..but my intentions are good!

The book is;
Lord of the Silver Bow (Troy, #1) by David Gemmell Lord of the Silver Bow

If I like it I'll go on to the series.

message 2: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5212 comments Awesome, then you can tell me if I'm just biased or the book really is good!
And I will join you in December by reading the second book in the series seeing that as per usual I got sidetracked and never got to it.

message 3: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Oct 27, 2011 07:57PM) (new)

Terri | 19509 comments Hey you got yourself a deal! I shall include Lord of the Silver Bow in my December schedule.

I think I may have to buy it as my library has the 2 and 3, but not 1...bizarre.

Maybe I'll try putting in a request for purchase to my library first.

message 4: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments Okay, I've put in a purchase request with my library and if they say no I will try an interlibrary loan request closer to December. I'll have it in my hot little hands by December though. One way or another. :)

message 5: by Ireney (new)

Ireney Berezniak I've had this series (Troy) on my reading list for some time ... hopefully I'll get to it one day >8)

Another one that I hope to crack is The Hittite by Ben Bova. The story is about a Hittite soldier's odyssey to Troy, where he built the Trojan horse. Ben Bova is an extremely prolific sci-fi writer, so I was quite surprised to find a historical novel in his bibliography ... though, I suppose, anything written about Troy is largely a fantasy.

However, I did find a review by a HF fan who did find the novel well researched and fairly accurate in its depiction of the Hittites, and Troy's fortifications. Interestingly, he mentions the use of iron weapons in an era where bronze still dominated:

"I was surprised to learn in Bova's book that, although the time period was technically the end of the Bronze Age, the Hatti had already developed iron weapons even though the Greeks and Trojans were still fighting with bronze weapons. Their use of iron as early as the 14th century BCE was discovered after royal archives containing cuneiform tablets were recovered and later translated during the 19th century."

As I re-read this review just before posting here, I chuckled about this particular observation, considering our recent discussions about the various ages and regional differences >8)

Anyway, at 320 pages, The Hittite is a fairly light read. I'll probably tackle it before Gemmel's series, just to get my feet wet in the time period >8)

The Hittite by Ben Bova

ib.

message 6: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Nov 04, 2011 01:46PM) (new)

Terri | 19509 comments But ib, there's a 'girl' on the cover! *shields eyes*
lol

That is indeed poignant after our little Bronze Age/Iron Age discussion. :)

message 7: by Ireney (new)

Ireney Berezniak Terri wrote: "But ib, there's a 'girl' on the cover! *shields eyes*
lol

That is indeed poignant after our little Bronze Age/Iron Age discussion. :)"

Hah hah .. "don't judge a book by its cover", Terri.

In all honesty, I found it a little awkward myself. At first I thought that this novel was a movie tie-in, but I haven't found any evidence of it, so I am at a loss to explain this choice of "art". If some film adaptation is, in fact, forthcoming, it must rank among the best kept secrets of this young century.

ib.

message 8: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Nov 04, 2011 03:36PM) (new)

Terri | 19509 comments ;) But it is sooo hard not to judge it. It is a lame cover, despite the fine strapping Hittite in the foreground. hehe
I see the MP3 got the better cover;
The Hittite by Ben Bova

message 9: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments My library has agreed to buy in Lord of the Silver Bow.

This is the edition they are purchasing. Nice cover.
I think I prefer the one with the guy on the front though.

Lord of the Silver Bow (Troy, #1) by David Gemmell

message 10: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5212 comments I like the one with the guy on the cover, it's the one I own. I'm looking forward to starting up this series again.

message 11: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Nov 05, 2011 11:30PM) (new)

Terri | 19509 comments I'm looking forward to starting it. :) I don't know where my library buys their books, but sometimes it can take them a couple weeks to supply them and sometimes it can take months. Fingers crossed it is a couple weeks and I can start it December 1, otherwise, it may be a late December start for me. :)

Will be good as I have not read anything on this phase of history for a long, long time...fiction or non fiction.

message 12: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 07, 2011 08:23PM) (new)

Although strictly speaking it's not about the Trojan War per se, Mary Rennault's The King Must Die and its sequel, The Bull from the Sea are both concurrent time wise with the Trojan war. As is Steven Pressfield's Last of the Amazons, all of which revolve around the myth of Theseus.

message 13: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments Hi Craig,
Don't be scared of setting up an Ancient Greece thread for these great books. I wondered whether I should too when I first joined, but Ireney is cool about us starting our own threads. :)

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I would have started my own thread but was too lazy to do so, so I just invaded this one, in good bronze age fashion. I'll try to be less barbaric in the future. But I did think those books have a place here, although maybe in retrospect, another thread would have been more better. Well, anyway, thanks for the feedback.

message 15: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Nov 07, 2011 08:47PM) (new)

Terri | 19509 comments It's all good. :)
This was sort of an Anatolia/Troy/Turkey thread. But everything is relaxed around here.
I just wanted you to know that this is not one of those groups where the members can't help build the folders. It is open slather. lol

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Really? Sounds like those groups are rather draconian in their social make up. Glad I found this one. Well, glad I'm not going to be flogged for breaking any rules. That's no way to end my day.

message 17: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Dec 04, 2011 05:53PM) (new)

Terri | 19509 comments My library finally has Lord of the Silver Bow in.

Perfect timing for a Christmas read. <:0)

Dawn,
I have a buddy read with some GR friends of another book starting on the 7th, then once I finish that book, I am going to start Lord of the Silver Bow.

Are you still planning on the third book this month?

message 18: by Dawn (last edited Dec 05, 2011 09:27AM) (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5212 comments I am, though it's the second book I'm reading Shield of Thunder. I am going to take it with me on vacation on the 15th, with the plane and the drive I think I'll be able to finish it.

Hmmm, maybe I should find the third book too......I might have time for it as well :)

message 19: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments oops...:)...seems I didn't pay attention.

The cover of the book is catalogued with the library as that other one I mentioned, but it isn't. It is this one:

message 20: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments Actually, I have finished my other book and am not due to start my buddy read until the 7th..so I am going to squeeze in a one day start on Lord of the Silver Bow.

*crosses fingers* here's hoping it was worth the wait. ;D

message 21: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments 50 pages in and I am not disappointed. I am into it.
It reminds me a lot of Scott Oden's books, Memnon and Men of Bronze. The writing style and storytelling style is very similar.

Memnon by Scott Oden Men of Bronze by Scott Oden

message 22: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5212 comments I am never disappointed by David Gemmell, he always drags me into the story, captures my attention and leaves me wanting more. They are some of the few books I re-read.

message 23: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments Oh, I know you ♥ Gemmell. :)

message 24: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5212 comments Just wanted to emphasize that :D

message 25: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments Emphasis duly noted. lol ;D

message 26: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments Oh my, Dawn. I do believe I have a thing for Helikaon, (aka Lord of the Silver Bow, the Golden One). :\

message 27: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5212 comments I finished the second book in David Gemmell's Troy series Shield of Thunder (Troy, #2) by David Gemmell Shield of Thunder and it was so good I immediately picked up Troy Fall of Kings (Troy, #3) by David Gemmell Troy: Fall of Kings and I'm half way through.
I didn't quite finish both on vacation but it shouldn't take me long to complete.

I think, going from my sketchy memory of how things were supposed to go in this time period, that this is a alternate history story and doesn't follow the facts as we are familiar with them. I do believe I have found a second alternate history series that I like, I'm not usually a fan but this is too good not to fall in love with all the characters, good and bad!

And Terri, keep reading, Helikaon only gets better as the story goes on......

message 28: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments I went through a phase in Lord of the Silver Bow where I started to not like Helikoan.
Spoiler for Lord of the Silver Bow
(view spoiler)

I do look forward to getting onto the next book and finding out what happens with Helikoan, and with Andromache and Hektor.

message 29: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5212 comments I was trying to write a comment that didn't need a spoiler but it was becoming to vague so..........here is another spoiler for the Troy series.
(view spoiler)

message 30: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments I am fond of Odysseus too.
Mine and Dawn's spoilers.
(view spoiler)

message 31: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments I have just added this to my tbr.
The War At Troy by Lindsay Clarke
The War At Troy

message 32: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments I have never seen this one, Chris. Looks like an oldie. :)

message 33: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments Unfortunately when I go to thos books links Goodreads has no description of them. Are all three set in Troy? (or Anatolia or Turkey)

message 34: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments Yes, our library uses Worldcat. But when I check, our library doesn't have any Shipway.

message 35: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments But these aren't set in Troy though are they? (the topic title).

For example; Theodora and Justinian...perhaps that should be the Byzantine topic thread?

message 36: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments My library does do interlibrary exchange, but as far as I know you can't specify where you can get books sent in from. I think you have to pay for special requests like a book from SYD Uni.

message 37: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments But the books mentioned aren't set in troy are they? Out of curiousity? They have no descriptions so it is hard to tell.

I just now added a book description I found for Lamb's Theodora. I'll pop it over in the Byzantine thread. :)

message 38: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Jan 30, 2012 05:19PM) (new)

Terri | 19509 comments I've added descriptions to Goodreads for all those books you mentioned, Chris. :)

None set in Troy though, so I have added these three to the Byzantium topic thread so people can see them if they go there looking for fiction set in Byzantium;
Theodora and the Emperor
The Bearkeeper's Daughter
Imperial Purple

Byzantium/Constantinople/Istanbul
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/7...

And I'll add this one to maybe the Roman threads as it is set in Britain on Hadrian's Wall. I would like to read this one.
Islands of Ghosts

Roman Empire to 476 AD
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/7...

Thanks for all the recommendations though. Sometimes we get so caught up in reading more recently published books, that we forget to look at those that have gone before.

message 39: by Laura (new)

Laura Gill | 35 comments Terri wrote: "I have just added this to my tbr.
The War At Troy by Lindsay Clarke
The War At Troy"

I preferred the sequel: The Return From Troy.

message 40: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments How many stars did you give to The war At Troy, Laura. Was it still good, even though you like the sequel better?

message 41: by Laura (last edited Mar 13, 2012 06:29PM) (new)

Laura Gill | 35 comments I actually haven't quite finished The War At Troy yet, but am almost there. I found the sequel to be different in tone, with some unexpected ideas about Odysseus's wanderings. Also, who can say no to Clytemnestra and Aegisthus's plotting, and Cassandra's premonitions before she and Agamemnon meet their ends?

Yes, I did like The War At Troy quite a bit, once the action got started. If I could give it 4 1/2 stars, I would.

message 42: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments Have you read the Gemmell series? Which starts with
Lord of the Silver Bow

message 43: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5212 comments I totally recommend the Troy trilogy by David Gemmell. :) Great books and great author!

(Gemmell just happens to be a fav of mine, as Terri knows.)

message 44: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments Dawn wrote: "

(Gemmell just happens to be a fav of mine, as Terri knows.)"

Oh, did I know that???

;)

message 45: by Laura (last edited Mar 14, 2012 11:59AM) (new)

Laura Gill | 35 comments Terri wrote: "Have you read the Gemmell series? Which starts with
Lord of the Silver Bow"

I'm not really a fan of alternate universe fiction; it really kept me from getting into Gemmell's trilogy.

message 46: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments I call it historical fiction with some mild mythology themes. I don't call it alternate universe.

message 47: by Laura (last edited Mar 14, 2012 03:42PM) (new)

Laura Gill | 35 comments Terri wrote: "I call it historical fiction with some mild mythology themes. I don't call it alternate universe."

Thera exploded 350 years before the events of the Trojan War, the Iliad states that Andromache was from Thebe, an Anatolian city, and was not Minoan, etc. Homer and other sources generally agree on the sequence of events and on most details.

Gemmell is free to do whatever he likes with the script, but he changes so much that he's created an alternate universe.

message 48: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments That's great that to you it is alternate universe. Everyone has their own interpretation on how strict historical fiction should be to be classed as HF.
To me it is historical fiction with some creative license used. If I didn't care for creative license in my fiction I would read a non fiction...

message 49: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5212 comments I read a book called Black Ships (Numinous World, #1) by Jo Graham Black Ships by Jo Graham based on Virgil's Aeneid that might interest someone.

message 50: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19509 comments Doesn't interest me. Lol. :-)
I thought Black Ships was mildly fantasy. Is that wrong?

« previous 1 3