http://www.EDUG573Fall2011 discussion

Amy N > 6 more of choice

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy Nichols | 25 comments 1

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy Nichols | 25 comments I am choosing Breaking Dawn (not that I don't LOVE the rest of the Twilight Sage... but I recently read through Breaking Dawn again because I had to go see the movie. Have actually seen it twice now. (addiction). I really love the fantasy World that Stephanie Meyer creates. It is so "real" that it almost doesn't seem fantasy (I know that's very odd knowing that it is not true- but it feels true). Her language is so vivid. The dialogue she creates is priceless- on top of the fact she can weave in inner thought like a genius.

I would recommend this series to mostly girls, although some boys are interested as well. I know parts of the book can get a bit "rated R" - but with a parent approval, I would encourage students in my classroom to read. If nothing else, it will boost their confidence to devour large, scary books =)

In case anyone is wondering/cares/or whatever... Team Edward.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy Nichols | 25 comments The classic, The Outisiders be S.E. Hinton, has been picked up by a number of my girls this year. As a quick read, I decided to pick it up for the good reads. It is a perfect story for the genre realistic fiction. The characters in the story are well developed. The struggles they face are easy for kids to relate to. Not only are these boys divided into two essentially gangs, they are suffering otherwise. They have lost their parents in an accident. So, they are left to be raised by the older brother.

This would be a great book to teach when discussing class, struggle, maybe loss of innocence. I find it unusual that I see more girls read it than I do boys... maybe because I was also shocked when I found out that S.E. is a female. Interesting point of view for a female to be able to take. But she does it, and she does it well. I would encourage students ages 11/12 + for the read- there sre some tricky parts in it that may stir up a ruckus with parents if read any younger. The story seems timeless in a way.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy Nichols | 25 comments Being the environmentalist that I am, I found a natural interest in Hoot by Carl Hiaasen. Hoot is about a somewhat outcast boy - on a journey to find himself (as many young characters are intended to do). In the midst, he finds softspot in his heart for the owls he sees in this new construction / development zone. It is actually a pancake house that is to be made on a plot of land where the owls are actually living. He sets out on a mission to save tho owls.

I love that this is approached on a level that is informative for kids, inspiring, yet still a very fun / funny "hoot" of a story. The best time to use with kids would be close to Eatrh Day, or if they need a topic intended for debate. Most children from 4th grade up could handle the story... maybe a bit juvenile for high school. So 4-8 most likely would be the audience. Try it... Give a Hoot =)

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy Nichols | 25 comments A long time favorite book of mine, The Catcher in the Rye in which I read about once a year. I don't necessarily think any age younge thatn juniors in high school or so should be reading it; actually, I think that was my first love affair with Holden Caufield. But, there are some topics that make it more geared towards the more mature / older crowd of students.

The thing I love best about The Catcher in the Rye, by J.D. Salinger is there are SO many themes. If I were ever a high school teacher, I would definately dissect it to its max. Loss, grief, longing, innocence lost, corruption, identity, society (and its faults / bias)... the list goes on.

Although I have read this book many times... I wanted to put it out there as a good read- if teachers ever need a book just to love, and not teach- this could make a great go-to. So would be my one of my other favorites: Gatsby... but that is for another time =)

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy Nichols | 25 comments Lois Lowery does a beautiful job creating characters, focusing on detail, and telling an amazing historical-based story in Number the Stars. Not knowing much about the Holocaust as a child, I found much interest in it in my adult years. I still cannot believe that it happened. -Stories like Annemarie's really give a solid vision of the Holocaust in the eyes of a child.
The story is of a girl and her Jewish best friend. Her parents are forced to leave ... leaving their daughter, Ellen behind to stay with their friends. The story is based around the Jewish family fleeing and keeping Ellen safe.

I would recommend this to be used as a literature discussion group on a novel study over WWII. There are SO many other great Holocaust books, and many students at my grade level have already read this book- but it would be a perfect fit for the ones who have not. I have used this in the past as a n entire class study- students really love this book. It gives them an inside look at what this terrible time in out history wsa like in the eyes of children.

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy Nichols | 25 comments Well, I will try this one again...
I was in the middle of Love That Dog by Sharon Creech. I am sure my original post has something genius in it that I just cannot replicate- but I will TRY!
Love That Dog is awesome =) The main character (a boy) is confused about writing poetry, and is not interested as he doesn't know where to get inspiration, how to interpret, and so on. One day he reads a poem called Love That Boy- he falls in love and becomes "able" to write poetry.

I have been told by a teacher friend of mine to read this & just never have. But I saw it on my shelf and decided to take it down. I would use this with kids of many ages when introducing poetry. There is another book called Hate That Cat- which I have NOT yet read, but will most likely have to read it.