http://www.EDUG573Fall2011 discussion

1 view
Elizabeth > Graphic Novels (choose 2)

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Libby (last edited Nov 11, 2011 02:36PM) (new)

Libby | 20 comments Captain Underpants and the Attack of the Talking Toilets

Although a little immature and a lot silly, I have seen boys who refuse to read, not be able to put this down. The story is about two boys who seem to be very smart but are always getting into trouble. This is the third book in the series of Captain Underpants books. Captain Underpants is their really their principal although he does not know it. Previously they had turned their principal into Captain Underpants and now whenever they snap their fingers he turns back into him again. In this book they accidentally turn all the toilets in the school into man eating monsters and Captain Underpants comes out to save the day, although he is not very good at it.

Like I said, I would not use this book with a group of students however for those boys who struggle with getting into something, this might just do the trick. I would say this is for grades 2-5.

message 2: by Libby (new)

Libby | 20 comments Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days

One of the many in a very popular series, Diary of a Wimpy Kid; Dog Days is about Gregory’s summer. If you have not read any of the Wimpy Kid series it is written like a journal from the main character's point of view. He also draws many pictures and diagrams in his journal which helps it to be a graphic novel. I found myself laughing a bit throughout the story but then also wondering if Gregory’s personality (greedy, lazy, selfish) might start to show with the kids who read these over and over again. However, just as I said with Captain Underpants, I have seen many students not able to put this, or any other Wimpy Kid books, down.

I would recommend this for grades 2-6 as more of a free read book. Although, it might be interesting for a read aloud to talk about the way Gregory handles some of the situations he gets in and maybe a better way to handle it.