http://www.EDUG573Fall2011 discussion

Amy S > Poetry books (choose 2)

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy Stevens | 26 comments Bruce Lansky

Shel Silverstein's Runny Babbit

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy Stevens | 26 comments Bruce Lansky's Mary Had A Little Jam is a hilarious collection of poems. Lansky takes traditional poems and puts a spin on them! My family accidentally discovered this book and my two sons have spent hours repeating the poetry through fits of giggles.

I think this would be a great book to get reluctant readers reading poetry simply because of the humor factor. I am thinking of using them in my current classroom of fourth graders, but honestly, I think they will lose control!

My own mother cannot even read these to my kids without laughing. My 5 year old daughter is now asking to read Lansky's book and likes it so much, we have purchased two more of his books: Oh My Darling Porcupine and Peter, Peter Pizza Eater.

Check out Lansky's site: www.gigglepoetry.com

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy Stevens | 26 comments Runny Babbit by Shel Silverstein is a great collection of poetry the is constructed of switching the first letters of words throughout poems as evident in the title.

When I first shared this collection of poems with my class, I did not tell my students who authored the poetry. Prior to reading Runny Babbit, I saw that my students kept checking out The Giving Tree. Don't get me wrong, it's a great piece too, but really kind of drab compared to many of Silverstein's other pieces. My class thought someone had "messed up those words Mrs. Stevens." When I revealed the author, the class had a hard time believing me.

The thing about this collection compared to Where the Sidewalk Ends or A Light in the Attic, is that the humor is right in your face it's hard not to laugh.

I have found that using Runny Babbit has helped to lift a dark cloud in my classroom when a dose of humor is needed.