http://www.EDUG573Fall2011 discussion

Elizabeth > Traditional literature (choose 2)

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Libby (last edited Nov 06, 2011 07:08PM) (new)

Libby | 20 comments Where the Wild Things Are

I have never met a person who has not read Where the Wild Things Are. What a great representation of the imagination of childhood! Both the pictures and the story are so classic and yet every time it is read the magic is captured again and again. I would read this book to my class and talk about whether Max really went to where the wild things are or if he imagined the whole thing. Or I would just use this as a read aloud and let the students think whatever they'd like as they listen.

message 2: by Libby (new)

Libby | 20 comments Cindy Ellen: A Wild Western Cinderella

This is a very cute parody of Cinderella based on the "wild west." Her stepsisters called her "Cinderbottom" and "Sanderalla" because she sat by the fire when she wasn't working on the ranch. Instead of a royal ball with the king, they were all invited to a two-day celebration; a rodeoand a square dance from the biggest cattle king for miles. With the help of her fairy godmother (of course) she ends up winning the rodeo then coming back the next day for the square dance. Instead of a glass slipper, her diamon spur fell off her boot when she ran away. We all know how the story ends.

I think this would be great for most grades to compare and contrast to the original story of Cinderella. Maybe to also discuss why the author decided to rewrite one of the most famous stories ever.