http://www.EDUG573Fall2011 discussion

Amber > Graphic Novels (choose 2)

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amber (new)

Amber Thomas (althomas80) | 28 comments 1

message 2: by Amber (new)

Amber Thomas (althomas80) | 28 comments Dolley Madison Saves History By: Roger Smalley
This book discusses the life of Dolley Madison and her time as first lady in the White House. It begins with the marriage of Dolley to James Madison. It explains that she was a wonderful host at parties at the White House and very courteous as she had conversations with others and met new people. She was admired for her hospitality and generosity. In 1812, the British started taking over American ships and making their crew work for them. Because of this, the United State declared war on the British. Soon there was word that the British were invading towns close to Washington. As Dolley’s husband James went off to join the troops, she stayed behind and began to collect anything of importance and send it away from the White House. Not long after, Dolley received word that the British were in the city and she must clear out. She saved one last picture of George Washington before she left. The British did reach the White House and destroy many of the things left inside. The next day, Dolley and James met back up and eventually they both returned home. As the White House was repaired, Dolley set up a home for children whose parents were killed in the war. She showed courage during a scary time in America and helped save many historical artifacts for future generations.
This is a great book to share a piece of history in an interesting way. Written in this comic book format, it has much more appeal to students than a regular history book that can be drowned in facts and details. Even I learned something new from reading this graphic novel. I think I could use it to discuss the theme of a book. Students would easily be able to pick out the theme of courtesy and bravery shown by Dolley throughout the story. I could see using this text with an extended response question as well. Students could write about the different ways she showed courtesy and bravery and connect to times they had to show these characteristics in their lives. This is a must read for any classroom that is discussing this part of our country’s history.

message 3: by Amber (new)

Amber Thomas (althomas80) | 28 comments Amulet Book One: The Stonekeeper By: Kazu Kibuishi
This book is about girl named Emily and her brother Navin who have had their father pass away recently. Their mother can’t afford their current home and decides to move them all to a new home that used to belong to her grandfather who used to make puzzle/machines. While exploring one of the rooms in the house, Emily and Navin discover an interesting necklace. Emily decides to wear it despite Navin’s warnings that they should tell their mother what they found. That night, the necklace woke Emily up to tell her that her family is in danger. All of a sudden, they all wake up to a strange noise in the basement. When their mother goes to explore, a creature captures her and takes her through a strange door. When Emily and Navin realize that their mother is gone, they go in after her.
Once in the door, they are taken into a peculiar world with creatures and animals that talk. It is here where they end up meeting their great grandfather who tells Emily that the amulet necklace was give to her to inherit its powers. There are other evil creatures who want the amulet and it is her job to protect it. Emily and Navin embark on a journey to battle the creatures that took their mother and she uses the amulet along to way to help them. In the end, they get their mother back, but she had been poisoned. The book ends with Emily and Navin leaving on a search for an antidote to cure their mother.
This book was recommended to me after we read Stitches in class. I had never read a children’s graphic novel before this one, and I really enjoyed it. The pictures say enough that the authors did not have to use words in each one. I kept turning pages and couldn’t wait to see what happened next with Emily and Navin. I can see students really enjoying the simplicity of the words in the text, and also being drawn to the plot of the story just like I was. I want to get the next book in the series just to see what happens next. This book is recommended for children in grades 2 through 6.