http://www.EDUG573Fall2011 discussion

Amber > Poetry Books (Choose 2)

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amber (new)

Amber Thomas (althomas80) | 28 comments 1

message 2: by Amber (new)

Amber Thomas (althomas80) | 28 comments No More Homework! No More Tests! Kids Favorite Funny School Poems Selected By: Bruce Lansky
This book is a collection of fifty funny poem selected by children around the country. There were many poems written by Bruce Lansky, the author of this book. I notice that there are many poems written about reasons for not doing homework, students not coming to school, test-taking, and the school cafeteria. One of my favorite poems that made it into this book was by Shel Silverstein called sick. It is about a young girl telling all of the reasons she cannot come to school that day. At the end of the poem, she is interrupted and realizes that it is actually Saturday. She then decides to go out and play.
This book is highly recommended for students in third through sixth grade. I think students will laugh at the different poems about school and realize that they may have had some of these thoughts about school too. I know that when I read them, I remember having heard some of the excuses for homework not being done in my own classroom. This is a wonderful book of poetry that all students can relate to.

message 3: by Amber (new)

Amber Thomas (althomas80) | 28 comments Poetry For Young People: Carl Sandburg Edited By: Frances Schoonmaker Bolin
This book is of poetry by Carl Sandburg. There is a variety of poems in this book that would appeal to a variety of readers. There is one about how to be polite when meeting a gorilla or if an elephant shows up at your door. However, there is also a longer poem about skyscrapers. It shares how they are built and how people interact with coworkers inside them each day. The poem I liked the most was called Arithmetic. It reminded me of the difficulties math can give students. It also talked about the things we must try to always remember when doing math like our multiplication tables.
This book is recommended for older students. Most poems would need to be discussed with other students or a teacher to determine what Sandburg is trying to say with the words in the poems. Each one may have different meanings to different readers. I would not use this book in my fourth grade classroom, because the vocabulary and symbolism of each poem would be difficult for most of my class. Perhaps sixth grade students on up could work together with the help of their teacher to interpret these poems. It was a good read, but was defiantly not for young readers like the title suggested.