http://www.EDUG573Fall2011 discussion

Marci > Traditional literature

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marci (last edited Nov 01, 2011 01:29PM) (new)

Marci | 21 comments I enjoyed the book of Fables by Arnold Lobel. It has 20 fables in it. What is nice is that at the end of each story it gave a quote of what the "moral of the story" is. For instance after the fable The Lobster and the Crab it tells "Even the taking of small risks will add excitement to life." I am going to read some of these stories to my class. I think it will be a nice break each day to begin our literacy time or in the middle of the day to read an interesting fable and then have them guess what the message of the fable was. It will be a great way to teach them what fables are. I have not ever done this before, so I am glad I was exposed to this book. I am use to using these in class for other things, usually test preparation in past years. It'll be nice to read some and not use it in that way.

message 2: by Marci (new)

Marci | 21 comments Tales of American Indians by Peg Hall for Perfection Learning is a neat book to use for exposure to Native American literature. This book has 6 tales, legends, and myths in it along with a play. I do a huge Native American unit so this book will fit nicely with that unit. The kids will get a kick out of the myth "Where Illness and Medicine Come From". Although, I'm a little scared they may take some of them seriously and get scared!