http://www.EDUG573Fall2011 discussion

Katie > Graphic Novels (choose 2)

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie Manuel | 21 comments Saddleback Educational Publishing

Walt Disney - Saddleback Educational Publishing's Graphic Biography Series

This biography tells quite a bit of information about Walt Disney's life, from childhood through his death, even though it is a quick read. The images help tell the story because Disney's characters are all shown as they are introduced and because the facial expressions on the characters help show emotions and opinions. I liked how the book really stuck to the theme of perseverance throughout the explanation of the events of Disney's life. It covered his struggles, how those struggles motivated him, and how his motivation and hard work paid off.

I've noticed that most students do not choose to read biographies unless they are assigned, so the graphic versions of biographies could be especially helpful in introducing students to important people who impacted our world. After reading this, I have much more schema about Walt Disney and might like to learn more about him in a more traditional way. I definitely see the appeal of graphic novels, but the structure is a bit confusing to me. I did enjoy the fact that this stayed true to the nonfiction genre by including definitions to vocabulary words, which is a text structure nonfiction readers should be familiar with.

message 2: by Katie (new)

Katie Manuel | 21 comments Maximum Ride, Vol. 1 (Maximum Ride The Manga, #1) by James Patterson

Maximum Ride, Volume 1 by Narae Lee (Based on James Patterson's novel)

This is the graphic novel version of Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment. I think it is useful for students who want to be able to know/discuss the series but are not yet able to read the novels. However, I really disliked reading it in this form. I felt that the characters were underdeveloped and that it was basically a boring version of a summary but with great illustrations. I also thought some of the language was unnecessary. I don't mind foul language when it is used to develop a realistic character, but this could have been substituted. I got the gist of the plot, which intrigued me enough to want to read the original version soon. I discussed it with several girls in my class who are obsessed with the series, and all four of them agreed that they disliked the graphic novel but loved the original. They said the plot is the same in both though.

The book is about a "flock" of teens/kids who have escaped from the lab in which they were treated as test animals and given magical powers (wings, high lung capacity, light bones, etc.). They are being chased by villains called Erasers. The youngest in the flock, Angel, is stolen and sent to a lab. Max is closest with Angel and is really upset/motivated to find her. Some members stay behind and set traps for the Erasers, while the other 3 fly to find Angel. Max notices a girl in danger and saves her, but gets shot in the wing in the process. The girl's mom is a vet and she takes X-rays of Max and agrees to keep her powers secret. Max learns she has a microchip deep in her arm, which is probably why the Erasers always find her. I won't ruin the ending, but it includes a lot of action during the rescue plan.