A Confederacy of Dunces A Confederacy of Dunces discussion

manic or whatever

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joseph (last edited Oct 27, 2011 05:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joseph Cognard Truely one of the best depictions of a bi polor manic person I have ever read. What does he have?

Cheri The author killed himself in 1969 and his mother found this manuscript and was able to get it published. 'nuff said about his state of mind.

Corilla Oh wow, I did see that it was published post-mortem but I did not know the whole story. I didn't get that he was bi-polar though that does make sense and is probably true. I did get that he was severly socially inept with a very high IQ and slight paranoia.
Have either of you read his other book?
I have been diagnosed with bi-polar disorder, I wonder if that prevents me from recognising it in the novel?

Joseph Cognard The story of how it got printed is really inspiring. The version I had a introduction by the professor who the mother gave the book to review. He was sure it was going to suck but he just fell more and more in love with the book. I think ignatious would be diagnossed bipolar.

Anshuman Singh @Corilla

I caanot comment about his other book.. The Neon Bible, as I havent read it. One line on bi-polar disorder. My ex-super boss suffers from this. And to tell you very sincerely, I have never found an intelligent, compassionate and self aware person more than him. He thanked his wife for her support that makes him the man we recognized and respected. So I think there is nothing to recognize more than how the person makes us feel. What they suffer from is unique. We so called normal populace suffer from other disorders which are medically not recognized.

:)

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Joseph wrote: "What does he have?"

An erratic valve.

message 7: by Sue (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sue I always got the feeling that the main character had some sort of autism spectrum disorder, like Asperger's.

Sabrina Having just finished the book I didn't feel the closure I anticipated. Now I know why. I also thought there was something more to him then being bi-polor aspergers seems to fit.

D.C. McMillen I thought he had some form of autism or aspergers as well.

Linda Templeton The character was so annoying! Don't know how his mother handled him through all those years! And that valve of his, what was that all about?

Gareth Davies This is one of the funniest books I have ever read and in my top 10 of good reads. For this book, the author John Kennedy Toole was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction posthumously in 1981. Well deserved and it's very sad that he committed suicide years earlier.

The Penguin Classic copy I recently read had a foreword explaining how the novel came to be published.